• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Ending of Dream Drop Distance

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

chasespicer056

Empathy is Divine
Nomura has stated the following about the ending of KH3D:

Kingdom Hearts III and Kingdom Hearts 3D are not the same. However, it is a brand-new adventure starring Sora and Riku. The story is on par with that of a numbered title, and I'm sure the ending will shock fans

Here's why I think it will do just that:

RIKU FALLS (again)

RIKU_by_kiercat1999.jpg

And no, I'm not using the term "fall" loosely as in he'll increase his affinity to darkness, I mean he is going to side with Xehanort WILLINGLY!

Let's start off with a glance at the trailer of 3D first:

[video=youtube;m3c-BfG4Pxw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3c-BfG4Pxw[/video]

Notice the pattern the video has of giving two words on a slide that are antonyms. One of them is goodwill and malice, and the following slide is Sora and Riku.

Most likely, malice is referring to Riku rather than Sora (the kid's an innocent Mary Sue after all).

But the trailers are so vague, so that could mean anything, right? I'm not so sure...

********************************************​

What does Riku value most besides his friends? The state of the worlds, actually...much like Master Xehanort.

After all, Riku tells Xemnas that the reason he had been fighting is because the Organization, through lesser Nobodies and Heartless, "mess up our worlds".

Oh yes, let's not forget how BBS's "Xehanort Report" made Xehanort seem more of a tragic hero than villain. In fact, some of his values are the following:

My brother pupil Eraqus thinks only in absolutes. He has persuaded himself that light is the only way, but forgets that light cannot exist without shadow. I believe a balance of light and darkness is what sustains our World, but too much of the darkness has been stamped out, disrupting that balance.

Even though he doesn't act like it, Xehanort knows that light is necessary. He knows that the worlds need balance. And this fact is what will ultimately lure Riku in.

********************************************​

Surprisingly enough, the best way to lie is to tell most of the truth. At some point in 3DS, Xehanort will approach Riku. He will offer him a position at his right-hand, explaining to him that all he wants to do is help the world. Riku will shout out every accusation he can think of... he'll recount all the cruel acts Xehanort has done.

And the man will reply quite simply: the ends justify the means. Riku understands this rationality perfectly. He did anything that was necessary to awaken Sora, even attacking innocent Nobodies like Xion and Roxas (the only innocent Nobodies really).

Xehanort will point out what Riku has seen himself. Regardless of how many incomplete beings (Heartless and Nobodies) Sora and his friends have defeated, the fragmented existences continue to roam about the worlds. Xehanort will claim that this is due to the imbalance between darkness and light... he will recount how he himself encountered the creatures in his travels as a youth, although their sightings were rare at the time.

At this point, Riku would have debated with Xehanort's Heartless through his dreams for the Mark of Mastery exam (the trailer hints at this), so he will be vulnerable and gullible. The boy will consider Xehanort's offer, and ask what must be done to balance the worlds.

Xehanort will state that the only way to achieve an equilibrium of twilight is through the power of Kingdom Hearts. The entity will grant the power to make both the Realm of Darkness and Realm of Light equal in power.

Riku will give into temptation. He'll join Xehanort with the hope of stopping the destruction that had plagued the worlds during his travels.

Thanks for taking a look at this! Lemme know what you think. I honestly don't WANT this to happen, but I got a sinking feeling.

chasespicer056

Empathy is Divine
But, thats not shocking. Now, Sora falling to darkness, that might be shocking.

Riku isn't falling to darkness. He already USES darkness. He falls to corruptibility and gullibility due to Xehanort's manipulation.

I consider this to be a shocking ending because after all Riku has been through, after all the trouble both Ansem and Xemnas caused him, and after he gave EVERYTHING to awaken Sora, why would he TURN AGAINST Sora and the rest of his friends for this (essentially) same man.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I find that completely not shocking. Also, BBS already set in place that Riku will be a hero. He's already been taken off a good path once. He wouldn't do it again. That is the typical Japanese anime/game twist.

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
I see it as plausible though I'm not sure I want it to happen either...if this does happen I'd like to think that Riku is smarter than that and sides with Xehanort as a means to gain his trust and trick him later. Or try to any way.

Radar

Bronze Member
Imagine Riku ay young MX's side, wearing Vanitas' black suit. Along next to him Braig and Isa in badass clothes. I can see it happening, but honestly I would like Sora to fall, for a while. Then at the start of kh3 you can play as Riku trying to save Sora. (the opposite of what you said.) Your idea is nice, but if anybody should go downhill i think it should be sora.

He's jealous that he failed the exam and riku passed.

blueheart

Bronze Member
I have a feeling that Riku is involved in the "shocking ending", but I don't think it will be Riku falling to darkness again. I think this just for the sole fact that Riku is the only other playable character besides Sora, otherwise it would just be Sora.

chasespicer056

Empathy is Divine
I find that completely not shocking. Also, BBS already set in place that Riku will be a hero. He's already been taken off a good path once. He wouldn't do it again. That is the typical Japanese anime/game twist.

Bear in mind that we're not average fans. I feel that Nomura meant "shocking" for most fans rather than the few of us who are very analytical towards the series. Though I respect your opinion.

I see it as plausible though I'm not sure I want it to happen either...if this does happen I'd like to think that Riku is smarter than that and sides with Xehanort as a means to gain his trust and trick him later. Or try to any way.

I REALLY don't want it to happen. But I just have this feeling.

Imagine Riku ay young MX's side, wearing Vanitas' black suit. Along next to him Braig and Isa in badass clothes. I can see it happening, but honestly I would like Sora to fall, for a while. Then at the start of kh3 you can play as Riku trying to save Sora. (the opposite of what you said.) Your idea is nice, but if anybody should go downhill i think it should be sora.

He's jealous that he failed the exam and riku passed.

But is that jealousy REALLY enough to push him over the edge and side with Xehanort?

No, if he falls, it needs to REALLY buildup. I mean Kairi would have to pick someone over him (possibly Riku), and Sora would have to start seeing things from Xehanort's point of view.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I have a feeling that Riku is involved in the "shocking ending", but I don't think it will be Riku falling to darkness again. I think this just for the sole fact that Riku is the only other playable character besides Sora, otherwise it would just be Sora.

Well, like OP said, Riku wouldn't be falling to the Darkness. He'd just be optimizing his usage of it.

"In time, the worlds would be saved by these two heroes who stood beneath the same blaze of stars."

I hardly doubt that after clearly stating Riku is a hero, the game would switch back to Riku being a rival/antagonist.

chasespicer056

Empathy is Divine
Well, like OP said, Riku wouldn't be falling to the Darkness. He'd just be optimizing his usage of it.

"In time, the worlds would be saved by these two heroes who stood beneath the same blaze of stars."

I hardly doubt that after clearly stating Riku is a hero, the game would switch back to Riku being a rival/antagonist.

Then the same goes for Sora... but if neither of them will side with Xehanort, what is the "shocking" aspect of the ending? I mean if it's REALLY shocking, it's most likely associated with one of them.

A "tragic hero" is still a HERO though.

noheartx

Sora is never going to fall to darkness, no matte rhpow shocking the ending will be. Kairi has a better chance of falling to dakrness, and shes a PoH. It just won't happen. Hes not that type. He's never been legititmately jealous of Riku. Just in a friendly way. He also has Ven's heart as a buffer, so i don't think that will happen.

I do think this is a plausible ending, but like Ethnic Woman said, he isn't going to go down the same path again. He loves his friends too much. He did everything in KH2 for Sora, he would never betray him. It's a good theory but it just won't happen.

Ruran

Awards
Sora is never going to fall to darkness, no matte rhpow shocking the ending will be. Kairi has a better chance of falling to dakrness, and shes a PoH. It just won't happen. Hes not that type. He's never been legititmately jealous of Riku. Just in a friendly way. He also has Ven's heart as a buffer, so i don't think that will happen.

I do think this is a plausible ending, but like Ethnic Woman said, he isn't going to go down the same path again. He loves his friends too much. He did everything in KH2 for Sora, he would never betray him. It's a good theory but it just won't happen.

Well if we're talking Riku pretending to side with Xehanort and not actaully betraying Sora I could see it happening. Since a theme in DDD is supposed to be trust maybe Sora knows about Riku's "plan" and trusts he knows what he's doing.

Organization_42

Proud Demyx/Kairi Shipper
Awards

Chasespicer056, I think you might be a genius.

And really, everyone's reactions to this theory thus far kind of prove your point: this is something that nobody thinks or expects will happen. Riku's been through so much that it's difficult to imagine him ever falling to darkness again, so yeah, it definitely meets the qualifications of an ending that could "shock fans."

On the other hand, I also have a hard time buying into the idea of Riku working alongside Xehanort again. Xehanort's manipulated him before, and every time Riku has used "the ends justify the means" excuse, he's always regretted it later. I just can't see him being stupid enough to fall for that again and try to help Xehanort achieve his goals when that has NEVER worked for him in the past.

It might make more sense if Riku was pretending to join up with Xehanort or something similar, in order to screw up his plans later. Or maybe it would involve finding out what happened to Terra's heart. Idk, I can't picture Riku falling for Xehanort's lies again, but I do think you're on to something here.

chasespicer056

Empathy is Divine

I honestly don't know anymore. At this point I'm having a hard time predicting anything with certainty.

Well if we're talking Riku pretending to side with Xehanort and not actaully betraying Sora I could see it happening. Since a theme in DDD is supposed to be trust maybe Sora knows about Riku's "plan" and trusts he knows what he's doing.

There's an idea.

Chasespicer056, I think you might be a genius.

And really, everyone's reactions to this theory thus far kind of prove your point: this is something that nobody thinks or expects will happen. Riku's been through so much that it's difficult to imagine him ever falling to darkness again, so yeah, it definitely meets the qualifications of an ending that could "shock fans."

On the other hand, I also have a hard time buying into the idea of Riku working alongside Xehanort again. Xehanort's manipulated him before, and every time Riku has used "the ends justify the means" excuse, he's always regretted it later. I just can't see him being stupid enough to fall for that again and try to help Xehanort achieve his goals when that has NEVER worked for him in the past.

It might make more sense if Riku was pretending to join up with Xehanort or something similar, in order to screw up his plans later. Or maybe it would involve finding out what happened to Terra's heart. Idk, I can't picture Riku falling for Xehanort's lies again, but I do think you're on to something here.

WOW... THANK YOU!!! I really appreciate the compliment!

It's hard to imagine, but I don't think Nomura cares about repeating themes anymore. He repeated possession and being corrupted in BBS after all.

noheartx

Its not a bad theory, its just Riku isn't stupid. If he had never fallen to darkness before, then you could bet your entire Final Fantasy Figurine collection he would do it. He's just not going to make the same mistake again.

About the Sora trusting his plan...what can Riku do to hinder Xehanort. He isn't strong enough to really do anything, and Xehanort would probably always be one step ahead of him. So evn if he planned to betray Xehanort, he would end up just getting screwed over. So i don't think that will happen. I'm not sating Riku is weak, but MX is just stronger.

Ruran

Awards
Its not a bad theory, its just Riku isn't stupid. If he had never fallen to darkness before, then you could bet your entire Final Fantasy Figurine collection he would do it. He's just not going to make the same mistake again.

About the Sora trusting his plan...what can Riku do to hinder Xehanort. He isn't strong enough to really do anything, and Xehanort would probably always be one step ahead of him. So evn if he planned to betray Xehanort, he would end up just getting screwed over. So i don't think that will happen. I'm not sating Riku is weak, but MX is just stronger.

If Riku plays spy that's just what he's trying to find out: how to take down Xehanort and his planes. The plan defenitly has faults but from the character's POV I can see why they would be inclined to try. Besides getting screwed over maybe part of a relevent future KH event. *shrugs*

Gold3nstar

I can't see Riku falling to the darkness again. He loves Sora and Kairi too much, and for the matter is often portrayed as the smartest of the trio. He learns from his mistakes.

sdr08

Although it might be possible I have another possibility...

I think aqua will help Xehanort balancing the universe, because she has been in the ROD for 11 years, so she might think' Darkness is not a such a bad thing after all. And Xehanort might manipulate her by saying it's the only way to save her friends and be with them. Just a thought lol

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
If Riku plays spy that's just what he's trying to find out: how to take down Xehanort and his planes. The plan defenitly has faults but from the character's POV I can see why they would be inclined to try. Besides getting screwed over maybe part of a relevent future KH event. *shrugs*

Nomura isn't one for stealth. Since the story right after DDD is KH3, I highly doubt Nomura would go that path in the first place. Time is a major part of spying. You have to infiltrate early on for any kind of trust to be gained. Xeahnort definitely wouldn't be fooled, and he'd be looking to control the Darkness in Riku to have another body to occupy. Riku'd be screwed over before he ever found out any helpful information, and Xehanort probably wouldn't let Riku be privy to such information anyways.

The old age saying "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me" is very much applicable here.

Although it might be possible I have another possibility...

I think aqua will help Xehanort balancing the universe, because she has been in the ROD for 11 years, so she might think' Darkness is not a such a bad thing after all. And Xehanort might manipulate her by saying it's the only way to save her friends and be with them. Just a thought lol

I think the opposite. Aqua will probably be more Light-blinded than ever when she leaves the RoD. You don't spend that much time trapped in a place fighting for your life and don't come out with some kind of trauma.

And on the idea that we don't think the theory plausible: We do. That is the problem. It is too likely. Things like Sora going to the darkness? Not likely. The people here on this site might be expecting it in a way, but others aren't. That seems more "shocking" than seeing Riku join the Darkness again, which is easily imaginable.

sdr08

Nomura isn't one for stealth. Since the story right after DDD is KH3, I highly doubt Nomura would go that path in the first place. Time is a major part of spying. You have to infiltrate early on for any kind of trust to be gained. Xeahnort definitely wouldn't be fooled, and he'd be looking to control the Darkness in Riku to have another body to occupy. Riku'd be screwed over before he ever found out any helpful information, and Xehanort probably wouldn't let Riku be privy to such information anyways.

The old age saying "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me" is very much applicable here.

I think the opposite. Aqua will probably be more Light-blinded than ever when she leaves the RoD. You don't spend that much time trapped in a place fighting for your life and don't come out with some kind of trauma.

And on the idea that we don't think the theory plausible: We do. That is the problem. It is too likely. Things like Sora going to the darkness? Not likely. The people here on this site might be expecting it in a way, but others aren't. That seems more "shocking" than seeing Riku join the Darkness again, which is easily imaginable.

I was also thinking that too...perhaps she might strike down Riku for using and embracing it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back