• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Ending of Dream Drop Distance

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
Nomura isn't one for stealth. Since the story right after DDD is KH3, I highly doubt Nomura would go that path in the first place. Time is a major part of spying. You have to infiltrate early on for any kind of trust to be gained. Xeahnort definitely wouldn't be fooled, and he'd be looking to control the Darkness in Riku to have another body to occupy. Riku'd be screwed over before he ever found out any helpful information, and Xehanort probably wouldn't let Riku be privy to such information anyways.

The old age saying "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me" is very much applicable here.

I thought it was something worth chewing over. I doubt that Xehanort would be fooled for a moment as well but it was a plan I was expecting to fail. I thought it would go something along the lines of:

Riku thinks he has Xehanorts trust.
Xehanort never trusted Riku to begin with.
Riku tries to make a move.
Xehanort counters it.
Shit hits the fan.

Though like chasespicer056 Riku falling in any manner is something I hope deosn't happen.

Xenin

Banned
That would be the biggest middle finger Nomura gives to the fans..mostly to me.
Riku has spent these past games fighting his erg and connection to Ansem. He hates what darkness did to him. I feel like we had a hug lead up to a restart! It would also make Riku a irreversible villain! Him saying through all these games he has changed then turning around in the length of one game and saying "Nah I'm jk bout all that light stuff!" would be almost the impossible thing to come back from. It's like you ex-alcoholic dad drinking beer again (that was a joke).

parkage1225

You know I've read threads about shock endings and possible family ties between mx and riku.. Do you think they could possibly intertwine, or that the ending may have something to do with that?

Zul

Awards
This would be extremely repetitive, the "variation" that he willingly becomes evil instead of manipulated doesn't change that. Riku spent far too long in the "redemption arc" to end up like this again.

And really, everyone's reactions to this theory thus far kind of prove your point: this is something that nobody thinks or expects will happen. Riku's been through so much that it's difficult to imagine him ever falling to darkness again, so yeah, it definitely meets the qualifications of an ending that could "shock fans."

Just because it's something no one thinks will happen does not directly lend it credibility. Look at what happened in BBS, aside from details, everything that was expected and speculated over and over again happened, except maybe Aqua dying.

Now answer this, why would he trust Xehanort when Xehanort is the one who unleashed the heartless and nearly DESTROYED the worlds? All of Riku's personal experiences with any form of Xehanort has given him evidence that Xehanort would rather have the worlds destroyed, Xehanort has little "greater good" to argue with.

Rather than them having a debate and Riku slowly believing Xehanort, he will likely immediately assume every word out of Xehanort's mouth is a lie and proceed to attack him.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
Riku falls to darkness = predictable.
Sora falls to darkness - predictable.

I honestly don't see how this game can have a shocking ending.

Youniquee

Awards
Riku falls to darkness = predictable.
Sora falls to darkness - predictable.

I honestly don't see how this game can have a shocking ending.

Sora falling into darkness is less predictable than Riku. If Sora does, I think how it happens will be shocking.

ICECOOL113

Sora falling into darkness is less predictable than Riku. If Sora does, I think how it happens will be shocking.

Yeah it's like if Kairi falls in love with Riku instead of Sora! Shock twist!

Anyway I think it would be pretty shocking if there was like a "hidden" keyblade book or something that can change the worlds and another evil being stumbled upon it.

darkheart709

Bronze Member
here's my theory, shit happens, sora and riku have a big hero moment in the RoD and perform some amazing combo attack or something to stop some immenent disaster from happening. this leaves sora completely drained and vunerable and MX, terranort, Ansem SOD(whatever personality he feels like at the time) comes from behind and steals sora's heart because it will for some inexplicable reason be the one thing he needs to complete his plans. 3D ends with MX taking sora's heart and leaving Riku beaten, weak, trapped, and alone in the RoD. that would be a shocking way to end the 3D. First few hours of KH3 will be riku trying to fight his way out of the RoD and retrieveing Sora's heart.

Xenin

Banned
All the theories on this site..Nothing will ever...ever be a surprise to me anymore..anything that happens from henceforth I will either look at it with "Hmm...not very surprising" or "Oh hey it's like what's his face on the forums said."

noheartx

Kairi dies. bam theres your surprise.

But seriously, my theory is that if in DDD you end up saving TAV, or anyone from TAV, that they will die. Well, not Ven, but i feel like Terra or Aqua will sacrifce themselves for Sora, because they know he is the only hope they have.

yomitchymitch

The only problem I have in this is Riku's character development.
We've seen him go through so much fighting off the darkness and blah blah blah.
So why would Nomura give Riku so much development as a character, to just go back on it.
Cause having Riku fall to darkness again, would be going back to square one.

But that's just my opinion. VERY solid idea though :)

Animator

Why are all these ending theories on Riku?

After all in the KH:CODED secret ending it is said both Xemnas and Ansem would become one again to create MX. What about Terra? Could he return? And this marking an entry point to the eluding Kingdom Hearts 3?

chasespicer056

Empathy is Divine
The only problem I have in this is Riku's character development.
We've seen him go through so much fighting off the darkness and blah blah blah.
So why would Nomura give Riku so much development as a character, to just go back on it.
Cause having Riku fall to darkness again, would be going back to square one.

But that's just my opinion. VERY solid idea though :)

Honestly, I think Nomura's already setting up Xehanort as a tragic hero. The only way to completely rid the worlds of Heartless and Nobodies probably IS through Kingdom Hearts. You either risk that or have chaos continue across the universe for eternity, because Yen Sid made it pretty clear that Sora's current method will never fully eliminate the incomlpete beings.

The question remaining is how closely Xehanort has stuck to his original beliefs.

Why are all these ending theories on Riku?

After all in the KH:CODED secret ending it is said both Xemnas and Ansem would become one again to create MX. What about Terra? Could he return? And this marking an entry point to the eluding Kingdom Hearts 3?

Chances are Terra's heart is still fused with MX's. He's probably part of the new Xehanort now, though I find it hard to believe that he didn't come up with SOME plan while he was MIA (he seemed pretty damn confident in the secret ending, so I doubt he's going down that easily, unless his plan was simply to be Xemnas)

noheartx

Familial ties between Mx and Riku are not completely out of the question. They look similar, and when Terra was on DI, he saw the image of an older Riku and a younger MX. Whether this has to do with their relation or ties to the darkness, we don't know, but i feel like it is probable that they are related. Hey...there's your shocking ending. Turns out MX is Riku's grandpa.

I believe KH3 will start with Terra being saved, but not the death of Xehanort. I think DDD will end with that, and KH3 continues wherever they leave off, with thr addition of Terra.

chenoehii

Awards
Ok, I literally just registered only so I could explain my own thoughts.. so here it is(sorry if someone has already word for word said this)-

I don't think Riku would willingly turn on his friends. Think about what you're saying- a year ago Riku was a completely different kid; he was extremely competitive with Sora, he was jealous of him when he made new friends(and to an extent he was jealous of Sora's love for Kairi, after all he did have sort of a crush on her back then). Riku always had a strong heart but he let his negative emotions affect his heart and it eventually bred darkness inside him, which was expanded upon when Maleficent corrupted him and Xehanort possessed him.

Point being, Riku has significantly matured since that time, at the end of KH1 the guy was willing to stay in the realm of darkness just so the worlds(and his friends) could be at peace again, and even went as far as trusting Kairi's well being to Sora. Not to mention his time in Castle Oblivion and what it taught him. He realized he would have to defeat the darkness in his heart(eventually he learned that he could use it as well as he could use light, but he specifically had to defeat Ansem), he was overconfident and arrogant in KH1 but now he knows it's okay to ask for and accept help if need be. When he heard that Sora was in the castle he was surprised and happy, but when he found his friend asleep, instead of being too sad, he resolved to put an end to Ansem and later came back to watch over Sora. To reiterate things already said, he went over and beyond for Sora, he even went as far as to accept the darkness inside him and took on Ansem's appearance JUST so he could defeat Roxas and let Sora wake up. Not to mention the fact that even after Sora woke up, he still looked after him and helped him along the way, and Kairi too. When they're all reunited, he explains many times over that he didn't want to be found. His friends were out there in the worlds looking for him and even if he wanted to see them, he gave up his own happiness because of his shame.

I find it extremely hard for this boy to willingly go back to the man who has tried ruin his life and his friends lives, for the same reasons as he did before.

Now for my thoughts:

I think Sora and Riku will pass the Mark of Mastery, they have both been shown to have strong hearts, and Riku has proved to be able to conquer his own darkness. Now for the iffy part of my theory.

If Ansem and Xemnas are destroyed Xehanort will come back. Yen Sid himself said that more than one form of Xehanort will emerge, which means that most likely we are looking at Ansem, Xemnas, the 'Original' Xehanort, and Master Xehanort coming back. That's the real Xehanort(MX), Terranort(Terra's body, MX's heart), Ansem(the heartless of Xehanort's heart), and Xemnas(the nobody made from Terra's body).

Terra's heart never left his body, it was only taken over by MX's heart. Which means that if his heart is still in Terranort, than he can't use his original body(if he did and his heart left Terranort, then Terra would be able to come back-atleast that's the basis of my theory). So basically, his old MX body is like a backup if he looses his younger host-whoever that may be at the time. Right now it's Terra, but Riku has shown to be as strong or stronger than Terra, as young as he is. However, age is not an issue for MX because the younger his host the more longevity. Strength matters most to MX, he was going to leave Ventus for dead when he saw that he wasn't strong enough to be his host, and pursued Terra instead. I think it's safe to say there is some kind of connection between MX and Riku- a few things give life to that theory:

The vision that Terra has of young MX, then an older Riku, which occurred after Riku had been talking about Xehanort(though, he didn't know him personally), meaning he had been taught stories about him.

In the Blank Points when MX and Terra are having a conversation in Terranort's mind, MX tells Terra that there were 'other roads he might choose to take'. Now what could that possibly mean besides possession? Also notice how up to that point Terra was calm but is now angry, while MX is very confident after this.

Finally, in KH1 Ansem approaches Riku after he had lost the Kingdom Key to Sora. He sought Riku out. He couldn't have just randomly picked Riku as a host. Also just a side-thought, why would Ansem want to possess Riku anyways?? Really? I'm confused as to what purpose that served.. what could he do in Riku's body that he couldn't do in his own? IDK maybe I missed something, or have forgotten something that happened.

So here is my final thought:(didn't think I would ever get to it:rolleyes:)

Riku and Sora are brought up to date about everything that happened back in the BBS days, then their memories[the ones that are sleeping in their hearts(reference to Coded, what Namine tells Sora and Mickey)] come back to them and they remember TAV, and Riku remembers that Terra is his master. So he thinks he might be the only one who can save Terra(assuming at this point they were close to saving or already saved Ven, Aqua, or both) so he lets MX take over his body, meaning MX's heart has to leave Terranort, freeing Terra(and then all they have to do is connect his heart and body with his spirit and will-Lingering Will in Keyblade Graveyard). So Riku sacrifices himself to save Terra and(insert fuzzy part of theory) either overcomes MX and forces him to take back his old body(that would depend on how strong Riku is at this point) or he trusts his friends to save him.

Of course, this is only if Riku has anything to do with 'shocking ending'. If not then....I don't know what's gonna happen.

Well, that's all. If you don't agree with me that's fine, just please don't flame. It's my first time telling anyone else what I'm thinking sooooo...yeah.

Edit: huh just saw I'm the only girl that's posted on this in a little while.. all the rest of you are guys lol

Last edited:

parkage1225

Rinney, I think that is an excellent theory..

I'm trying to take into account that Nomura stated that this game will not completely revolve around sora, vaguely ..so the most obvious alternative will be riku,right. If there are familial ties and the theme of the game is trust then my theory might make a small bit of sense:
What if riku had to choose between trusting his friend telling him that his grandfather was basically the scum of the earth and the reason for his pain..or trust his grandfather saying that he has good intentions and "the ends justify the means"..so what if the issue of trust was more of an issue of friendship vs. Blood.. I don't know, but it is a thought

Grey

I like this theory, but it kind of sounds a lot like BBS. Remove Eraqus from the equation and put Yen Sid in his place. You have Yen Sid (Eraqus) instructing a young Keyblader (Sora, Aqua/Ventus) who wants to be a master, while another young Keyblader (Terra, Riku) who wants to be a master jumps ship from his original master (Eraqus, Yen Sid) and decides to side with the villain (Master Xehanort, Xehanort).

Plus, although I like the idea and think it's plausible, I'd rather see Riku reject Xehanort and show how he's grown as a character rather than fall into the same trap he did before for a slightly-different-yet-ultimately-the-same reason.

EDIT:
Rinney, that's an awesome theory. It makes a ton of sense. (Great first post, too.)

I like the idea of Riku giving up his body so as to save Terra, but is it definite that Terra is Riku's master, just because Terra performed the Keyblade ceremony on Riku? If this is true, then I think it's possible that in KH3D, or in KHIII, that Aqua could be Kairi's master. Which sort of works out, because that leaves the connection of Ven and Sora. (I don't think it matters that Nomura said that only two of the TAV trio would be connected to SRK. He probably changed his mind, especially since that statement came before we really knew anything about TAV.)

Everything else in your theory falls into place extremely well.

Last edited:

parkage1225

there is so much that could happen..
And we basically have not one clue
We could theorize all day,and I'm not saying I wanna know what will happen
But a little info would be nice Nomura :p.
This is really the last game series i can look forward to.
Between the work and the wife i just can't fit much time in for anything..
Bit yeah we have a trailer of old scenes,traverse town, and notre dame.
What does that tell us? For all we know the shock ending could be that sora was evil all along..ha

chasespicer056

Empathy is Divine
What does that tell us? For all we know the shock ending could be that sora was evil all along..ha

Twist: everything that has happened has been part of Yen Sid's diabolical plan to make the universe entirely Disney.

Nomura is quite honestly an asshole for not delivering SOMETHING for us. The only legitimate reason for not showing 3D at E3 is nothing more has been developed, and if that's so, then they really need to step up their game.

chenoehii

Awards
I like the idea of Riku giving up his body so as to save Terra, but is it definite that Terra is Riku's master, just because Terra performed the Keyblade ceremony on Riku? If this is true, then I think it's possible that in KH3D, or in KHIII, that Aqua could be Kairi's master. Which sort of works out, because that leaves the connection of Ven and Sora. (I don't think it matters that Nomura said that only two of the TAV trio would be connected to SRK. He probably changed his mind, especially since that statement came before we really knew anything about TAV.)

If Terra is Riku's Master, and Aqua Kairi's, then what Nomura might have been trying to say was that Ven didn't have the same kind of connection with Sora that the other's had. Because Ven didn't have anything to do with the Kingdom Key choosing Sora, nor did he perform the Ritual (they never even met in person). However, if you think about it, they all have a connection to at least one of SKR, so maybe Nomura was just messing with us:confused:.. he likes to do that sometimes.

Lol love rhymes

Edit: didn't know how my post would be received sooo..... Arigato Gozaimasu!(means 'Thank you very much' in Japanese xD)

ALSO, even though Nomura-once again-said that family has nothing to do with KH, it sure would explain some things if MX was related to Riku somehow, and as a lover of family dynamics I would like to see that happen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back