• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Ending cutscene with Sora, Donald and Goofy

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

kaseykockroach

Awards
One minor aspect I've always been a little confused about was the ending to this, which had our main trio about to set off on a new adventure for the first time in lord-knows-how-long.
Finally, Sora, Donald and Goofy! Together again!...um...
Shouldn't this have been KH3's opening? :S
I'm not trying to argue this route was inherently wrong, just...odd.
Is KH3 just going to open with us watching that whole scene again, but now in context of the full game?
Come to think of it, I'd have anticipated KH3 opening with a long prologue focusing on Aqua's antics in the darkness before we finally reunite with Sora and co, akin to KH2's prologue with Roxas. Instead of the prologue being a separate game entirely.
Am I the only one that found this whole aspect weird? I hope I don't come off as complaining about this, I'm more confused and curious than anything.
Perhaps they learned their lesson from KH2's prologue being infamously long and decided to have it as a separate optional game? -shrugs-

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
One minor aspect I've always been a little confused about was the ending to this, which had our main trio about to set off on a new adventure for the first time in lord-knows-how-long.
Is KH3 just going to open with us watching that whole scene again, but now in context of the full game?
Come to think of it, I'd have anticipated KH3 opening with a long prologue focusing on Aqua's antics in the darkness before we finally reunite with Sora and co, akin to KH2's prologue with Roxas. Instead of the prologue being a separate game entirely.
Am I the only one that found this whole aspect weird? I hope I don't come off as complaining about this, I'm more confused and curious than anything.
Perhaps they learned their lesson from KH2's prologue being infamously long and decided to have it as a separate optional game? -shrugs-

That is because 0.2 was going to be the prologue in KH3. They decided to cut it out and make it a standalone because they knew that fans wanted to see more of Aqua and also wanted to give fans something to experience during the wait for KH3.

They also wanted players to be able to jump into KH3 and enjoy it right off the bat. You aren't wrong in your analysis at all.

kaseykockroach

Awards
Oh!...gawrsh. Pardon my ignorance then.
In that case, I do hope KH3 and the prologue can be combined into one package then, for convenience sake.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Oh!...gawrsh. Pardon my ignorance then.
In that case, I do hope KH3 and the prologue can be combined into one package then, for convenience sake.

Haha, no! It's all good.

I doubt they will do it, mainly because its already packed into 2.8 and they REALLY want people to play that for KH3D since it sets up the story for KH3. ;c It would be nice if they could take it out of the collection and sell it individually.

kaseykockroach

Awards
It'll be weird if KH3 does indeed immediately begin at the Olympus Coliseum, but that'll at least be a lovely contrast to KH2's three hours of sea salt ice cream fetishism.

Ochoko

Wouldn’t be surprised if the game actually starts with Riku and Mickey’s quest. Can’t just see them dropping right into Olympus, but who knows.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Considering 3D immediately began with the Ursula fight, I think it's very likely that KH3 will begin with Olympus. Though Nomura's also said the opening will be surprising so who knows

KeyToNothing

Awards
One thing that does confuse me as well is that Twilight Town is supposed to be the tutorial again. In this case, will an event take place that forces us to stop at TT?

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
One thing that does confuse me as well is that Twilight Town is supposed to be the tutorial again. In this case, will an event take place that forces us to stop at TT?

I think people took the word tutorial to mean "opening" when that's not always the case. Similar to how 3D's tutorials mostly took place in Traverse Town, but the game opened on the Destiny Islands.

TheMostRad

I'm still holding out hope for a Kairi/Lea training tutorial in KH3, maybe a little shorter and akin to Ven's pursuit of a meteor shower in BbS (though I wouldn't be opposed to another sort of KH2 Roxas sequence).

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards

I mean, it would have been REALLY weird in the beginning of III for sure. I thought that it made perfect sense - we hadn't seen Sora for several years at this point as fans, so they rewarded us for playing through this Aqua story by finally showing us some HD Sora!

Furthermore, the way that the scene in the gummi ship happens just wouldn't have flowed well for a scene so early in KHIII. Think about it - Sora's looking for a way into the other worlds, Donald is upset with him, and Goofy randomly says this "may your heart be your guiding key" thingy out of nowhere with no connective tissue in the game so far.

Having this happen at the end of 0.2 makes more sense, since it's only a brief cameo of characters we're assumed to know and a callback to what Mickey said earlier in the game to serve as a connective tissue. The dialogue and pacing is fine as an end-game surprise, but it would have felt jumbled and particularly weak if they kept it in III so early. It feels perfectly in context to me and I guess that I just don't really see what's so weird about it?

I really hope they don't pick this up and continue the conversation in III, since it seemed like there really wasn't much more to say at the end of it. I mean, Sora summoned a vortex and said that they're going to Olympus Coliseum to get his strength back. I don't see what we're missing in that interaction. It might have been one of the only times on that collection that we didn't get two more questions along with an answer.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
We'll start at the beginning of the final fight, with the rest of the game told in flashback fashion. Just watch.

Honestly it makes me weird to think of a KH III that starts with 0.2. Like, going with Aqua and fighting the Devil thingies and the KH1 retcon.
But I'm also very curious to see if the Aquanort moment would've had more or less weight if played with 0.2 still fresh in the player's mind.
"I will fight... and never give up!"
*3 hours later*
"You're too late"

kaseykockroach

Awards
It took Riku less than three hours to get involved in all that darkness business in KH1, so Aqua holding out that long would be an accomplishment!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back