• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Eminem’s song “Good Guy” from his new album samples “Simple and Clean”

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awards
Music producer Illadaproducer who worked on Eminem’s latest album, Kamikaze confirmed to Rolling Stone that the sample featured in the background is from Kingdom Hearts.

RS: What about “Good Guy,” what’s the sample there?

IL: That’s me doing my video game thing. Kingdom Hearts. It’s a Japanese videogame, and that’s the theme song from it. It’s one of the dopest melodies I’ve ever heard. Shout out Japanese videogames and Japanimation for inspiration. Filtered it, did some chops, did some processing to it. I basically made it unrecognizable, but I know they would have still found it. That’s why we had to deal with the clearance. But when I do anything I try to make it to where it’s not fully recognizable.

https://kotaku.com/eminems-new-album-samples-kingdom-hearts-1828776338

Full interview: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/eminem-kamikaze-slim-shady-producer-718242/

Edit: Oops! I just realized I posted this in the wrong section. My bad!

Pokie

Not a fan of Eminem at all, but it's cool that he seems to be KH fan or at least aware of it.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
ah well, its just too bad he’s washed up and a scumbag

Meow Wow

Awards
In my opinion, the fact that he bragged about sampling a song makes him seem like an uncreative pos. I don't care what song or where it came from from. These people should have the creativity to create their own beats rather than take from others, let alone brag about it.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
In my opinion, the fact that he bragged about sampling a song makes him seem like an uncreative pos. I don't care what song or where it came from from. These people should have the creativity to create their own beats rather than take from others, let alone brag about it.

Sampling is a pretty common thing and can lead to really creative results. My problem is only in that he didn’t credit Utada directly

DarkGrey Heroine

How much closer could I be?
Awards
Never would I have thought to see "Eminem" and "Simple and Clean" together in a thread title or sentence

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Honestly better rap artists have sampled KH.

[video]https://youtu.be/l8ixzgeV9SE[/video]
one day you’ll reach heaven’s entrance and God will show you the true meaning of “gatekeeping”.

Ðari

Look at you, armor-less
Staff member
Awards
Props to anyone willing to go through the proper legal battle. I don't know if Utada's an independent or a music group licenses her, but either or can push back. They do it all the time on youtube with copyright claims so why not here lol?

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
I honestly don't even hear the inspiration, can anyone pinpoint the specific elements of Simple and Clean here? This goes beyond traditional sampling. If Illadaproducer legally acquired the license to sample the song, he doesn't need to 'credit' Utada as he's already abided by fair use laws (and furthermore was transparent about his inspiration as we all see in the article).

I don't support Eminem for various reasons, including his homophobic lyrics, but this instance would not be enough of a blight on his music for me, personally, regardless of whether or not I like the song. (I don't.)

Not a fan of Eminem at all, but it's cool that he seems to be KH fan or at least aware of it.

He's not, his producer is.

Last edited:

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
It isn’t Simple and Clean. It’s Glassy Sky from Tokyo Ghoul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back