• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Election Day (US); If you're here go do your civic duty!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
So okay. Today is Election Day in the US; the whole House is up for election and some Senate seats are as well.

I voted. :) So if you're in the US, don't just stare at this post; go out and vote! It's how you have a say in government at all. And so you can be informed before you vote: Go here. I mostly voted Democrat this time except for governor, but the Dem candidate stunk in my mind, wanting to blow up Stone Mountain..geez.

Doesn't matter which way you vote, just go vote..that's all I ask.

Last edited:

Meow Wow

Awards
I’m not old enough to vote quite yet. I am, however, getting a kick out of the Republicans reactions to the newly elected governor in my state being Democrat (and openly gay).As well as the Democratic win overall.
It’s hillarious watching their homophobic and [politically] closed minded reactions. Honestly, I feel like the Democratic wave was to be expected in this election, but I guess people can’t handle loss.

I’m just glad I won’t see political ads anymore. I’m tired of hearing about how evil Jared Polis is every two seconds.

Last edited:

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I would've liked the Democrats to take back the Senate, too, but everyone has known that would be unlikely since 2016. They had a map where they had to mostly defend seats, with very few openings. The abuse of power in Georgia by Kemp was disgusting though. Thankfully Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania were won by Democrats all-around. Trump was always full of crap when he pretended he was going to save the coal industry; hopefully the people in those states have finally realized it, too.

I wasn't able to contribute too much from NC unfortunately, but at least I helped to prevent two of the worst amendments from being passed that would further limit the governor's power.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Yeah, GA is my home state. Both stunk but I had to pick the one that stunk the least when I voted. The Democrat candidate really had a lot of stink on her(more scandal than what the Repub one did, but messing with votes is bad too), and saying you want to sandblast/blow up Stone Mountain besides was a bit too far since that attracts a lot of tourism. yes, extremists using it for their gatherings is a problem, but there's such a thing as cutting your nose off to spite your face and ruining a carving that the guy that did Mount Rushmore designed.(That park attracts a LOT in tourism.) I'd say ban extremists from the park, not destroy the monument. But within reason, I'm a believer in saving history.

I think I did contribute tho to the Dems taking over the house. So there's that.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
I voted. I'm very mixed on the poll results for CA. I'm curious to see how DST will pass through legislature.

TheMostRad

Voted early and live in Texas, but did my best to avoid the results yesterday b/c voting as a liberal in Texas is never easy and often painful, or at least emotionally exhausting. Every 2 years (minimum) we have to rile ourselves up for another season of canvassing and campaigning, deluding ourselves and telling ourselves that this will be the year we finally see the blue/purple wave (which never comes and may never come on acct. of rural honkytonks). I don't think a Democrat has been elected to a statewide office in Texas since Ann Richards won Governor in 1990, and even then she only won that b/c her opponent made a crass rape joke at a fundraising event.

Still, home is home, and the fight's gotta come from somewhere. Plus, my state still saw the ousting of House Rep. Pete Sessions, who oversaw the House Rules Committee and made for a firm barrier against nationwide weed legislation, so we've got that going for us, which is nice.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Voted early and live in Texas, but did my best to avoid the results yesterday b/c voting as a liberal in Texas is never easy and often painful, or at least emotionally exhausting. Every 2 years (minimum) we have to rile ourselves up for another season of canvassing and campaigning, deluding ourselves and telling ourselves that this will be the year we finally see the blue/purple wave (which never comes and may never come on acct. of rural honkytonks). I don't think a Democrat has been elected to a statewide office in Texas since Ann Richards won Governor in 1990, and even then she only won that b/c her opponent made a crass rape joke at a fundraising event.

Still, home is home, and the fight's gotta come from somewhere. Plus, my state still saw the ousting of House Rep. Pete Sessions, who oversaw the House Rules Committee and made for a firm barrier against nationwide weed legislation, so we've got that going for us, which is nice.

From what I've seen in the official results at least the Senate Race was quite close in Texas which is unusual for a state that's normally firmly on the conservative side so there might be a chance for O'Rourke to get it in the bag next time.

TheMostRad

From what I've seen in the official results at least the Senate Race was quite close in Texas which is unusual for a state that's normally firmly on the conservative side so there might be a chance for O'Rourke to get it in the bag next time.

One would hope so, but alas, that can be easier said than done in American politics. Senators are elected to 6-year terms with 2 senators for each state, so O'Rourke's best chance to snag a Texas Senate seat would've been against Ted Cruz, who is widely considered to be the most reviled member of the Senate. His next chance would be against incumbent senator John Cornyn in 2 years, who would be more difficult to dethrone given that he's actually liked by some of his constituency (whereas Cruz is viewed in the lens of "well, at least he ain't liberal").

But aye. Here's to 2020, because the election cycle will never be over until we're all dead.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Beto will be on the presidential ticket in 2 years. He isn’t going to try for Senate again when it is clear his constituency will follow him wherever he goes, and he’s garnered the attention of voters across the country thanks to the midterms. He won’t be the front-runner because I don’t think he’s ready for it, but he’ll be paired with somebody with just as much charisma and intelligence as him as their VP.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
Beto will be on the presidential ticket in 2 years. He isn’t going to try for Senate again when it is clear his constituency will follow him wherever he goes, and he’s garnered the attention of voters across the country thanks to the midterms. He won’t be the front-runner because I don’t think he’s ready for it, but he’ll be paired with somebody with just as much charisma and intelligence as him as their VP.

This is what I’m hoping for. If we could get him as VP with a presidential nominee slightly his elder (preferably between 50-60, imo) that is either a woman, person of color, or both, I think Democrats would have an exceptional ticket. Most importantly, we need someone who is an antithesis to Trump that doesn’t have the political baggage that Hillary had in 2016. We have to minimize what the right can weaponize in regard to possible “corruption.” That’s what killed Gillum in Fl, even though he likely didn’t knowingly do anything wrong. He was .6% from winning and he probably would have won if it hadn’t been for the FBI investigation being spun against him. :(

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards

Similar here in NC, although not quite as bad. My vote basically makes no difference in the rural, staunchly conservative county I live in, but I can at least make a difference with other things on the ballot (Senate/House/President/Governor/amendments).

I don't want Beto to be the nominee in part because I don't think he could win, but he would be a decent VP choice. From what I read, even though he didn't win, he created enough enthusiasm to bring the race closer than expected in a state like Texas and helped Democrats down-ballot win because of it.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
It looks like Florida will go into a recount for both the Senate and Gubernatorial races. No matter how it goes, I think it is going to get messy here.

TheMostRad

Re: Spockanort, Zip, and Tartarus - I'm hoping y'all are right. Now that I'm thinking about it, I find myself dreaming of the Liberal Texan Dream Ticket - Julian Castro/Beto O'Rourke. Castro is the former mayor of San Antonio, served as Obama's last HUD Secretary, opened the last big DNC, and has openly stated he's considering a 2020 ticket. However, both Castro and O'Rourke are relatively young (both in their 40's), so odds of them sharing a ticket may be slightly slimmer, but still, a boy can dream.

Also, y'all are indeed correct in that Beto's campaign definitely helped down-ballot candidates pull through in some close contests around here. As a result, we ousted Pete Sessions, soon-to-be-former chairman of the House Rules Committee (a.k.a. the guy who would shoot down weed bills every time before they could make it to the house floor), so that's something to cherish.

Shinjuku

Entrapment
Yeah, GA is my home state. Both stunk but I had to pick the one that stunk the least when I voted. The Democrat candidate really had a lot of stink on her(more scandal than what the Repub one did, but messing with votes is bad too), and saying you want to sandblast/blow up Stone Mountain besides was a bit too far since that attracts a lot of tourism. yes, extremists using it for their gatherings is a problem, but there's such a thing as cutting your nose off to spite your face and ruining a carving that the guy that did Mount Rushmore designed.(That park attracts a LOT in tourism.) I'd say ban extremists from the park, not destroy the monument. But within reason, I'm a believer in saving history.

I think I did contribute tho to the Dems taking over the house. So there's that.

Also from Georgia, and these people that are just now making their way to GA can get right the F out of my state. Of course I can't make anyone leave, but the way this state has been slow/rural is the way I've loved her for the last 29 years. In fact when they said Amazon wasn't coming down here I was thankful would have attracted even more democrats(Be fair I don't have a love for either candidate either way).

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Shinku; I sorta agree tho I vote how my conscience dictates. (I'd say Libertarian here at best, no party loyalty at worst.)

As it is we won't know who won until the end of the week because of a nasty dispute. We'll have to see.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
The 2020 ticket will most certainly have Biden leading, seeing as how the man has a hunger for the presidency since... forever. And according to CNN's poll, Biden is the leading Democrat nominee with 33%. The other ones are below 12%

Shinjuku

Entrapment
Shinku; I sorta agree tho I vote how my conscience dictates. (I'd say Libertarian here at best, no party loyalty at worst.)

As it is we won't know who won until the end of the week because of a nasty dispute. We'll have to see.

Yeah I went Red(This go around) and the only reason that is because seems like I've been asleep at the wheel. A lot has changed in the state, and even the U.S in general.

Everyone wants to be seen as kind, but don't realize the ramifications it has down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back