• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Edge Magazine Features Kingdom Hearts III Cover Story

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
It doesn't say they decided 8 Disney Worlds exactly, but the full roster.

Full roster includes the specific number of Disney and original worlds though. Eight Disney worlds turned out to be the end decision after cutting away any potential others.

Awards
This was a great read, it sure seemed like the team went through hell and back with the games development but nevertheless pushed themselves to make the game the best it can be. It must have been daunting to not only have to learn how to use a new engine, but keep up with Disney's high expectatios. That bit about Nomura keeping half an eye on future titles kinda irks me if but slightly. I'm all for what the future may hold, but I hope he doesnt go full sequel bait and ends up posing more cliff hangers and questions as opposed to resolving conflicts and providing answers.
All in all facinating on how the whole thing went down, can't wait to play it.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
With or without engine change, I think KH3 would have remained the same, seeing as how Nomura literally ran out of space in the finishing months of the game's development.

Other than that, I really loved this interview. Very specific.

Hirokey123

Awards
My god the higher ups at SE at really obnoxious aren't they? I seriously feel for Nomura, two projects he worked on back to back he was told to just scrap a year or more's worth a progress on both to build it for a new engine. First FFXV after all it's hell development thanks to mishandling from the higher ups was told to be remade from the start, which apparently was pretty devastating development to here....and now we heard they did this all over again for KH3. SE needs some serious reworking in the upper management division.

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards
I really like what was said here.

It really doesn't matter to me whether or not they're going to be popular, it's just about whether the game is going to benefit from adding them. In past Kingdom Hearts games, we've included a number of more minor titles. It's not only about what's interesting, it's also about variety. Of course, even after that fixed point when we have decided what the worlds are going to be, occassionally there are Disney things that come up afterwards, and I'm like, 'Ah, I wish I could put that in there.'

Wonder how many worlds we would have gotten if they didn't lose that 1 year development.

I appreciate this sentiment but it is kind of undercut by the fact that all of the films that made the cut are huge blockbusters. I wish a few more niche titles made it into this installment. But at least this isn't the last KH games.

GrandWebster

I appreciate this sentiment but it is kind of undercut by the fact that all of the films that made the cut are huge blockbusters. I wish a few more niche titles made it into this installment. But at least this isn't the last KH games.

Well looking that they used of the movies during the Disney Renaissance. I wouldn't be surprised in they didn't for this new generation of films (Disney Revival) for the next game (KH4)

Worlds like Wreck-it Ralph, Princess and the Frog, Zootopia, Moana are ones I can see representated if were are looking at this new era of films and probably some Pixar films. But I don't think they'll all be Pixar.

ultima-demi

(>..)>
Awards
Yeah with it being KH3! They seem to see it better to use films like that could bring in a new audiences since they already had a smaller world roster decided early. With later KH games not having to deal with the type of long hype KH3 has had, hopefully niche films stand a better chance in making it.

Last edited:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
My god the higher ups at SE at really obnoxious aren't they? I seriously feel for Nomura, two projects he worked on back to back he was told to just scrap a year or more's worth a progress on both to build it for a new engine. First FFXV after all it's hell development thanks to mishandling from the higher ups was told to be remade from the start, which apparently was pretty devastating development to here....and now we heard they did this all over again for KH3. SE needs some serious reworking in the upper management division.

Yeah. I don’t really get why people don’t understand that SE has a management issue that they aren’t willing to address. People like to conveniently blame Nomura for what happened with XV, but this is something that has been going on with almost every project at SE since 2006 and we hardly know anything about the people in the chief positions at the company besides Matsuda. I wish we knew who was calling the shots because I feel like it isn’t at the producer level where these management issues are coming from. They seem to be very close to the developers of their projects.

And Nomura might be ambitious but the guy has shipped tons of games over the years with and without a co-director, so it’s not like he’s the one making these crazy calls.

Back