• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Earth-like Planet found 20 Light-years away

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
If we acquire the impossible technology to get there, they wouldn't stand a chance.

Shadukai X

Banned
^ Don't spam....or do whatever it is your doing. EDIT: Not to you Pho, to Yurai.

I do find this interesting. I doubt that we will even get close to it within the next 200 years.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
Going as fast as light is physically impossible. The required amount of energy to get close to even 1% of light-speed is staggering, so it's going to be pretty impossible to get there. Then again, we don't have to, all we need is better telescopes, eh?

The Big Lovin'

Everyone's Favorite Uncle Ji-Chan
^ Don't spam....or do whatever it is your doing. EDIT: Not to you Pho, to Yurai.

I do find this interesting. I doubt that we will even get close to it within the next 200 years.

You don't? You obviously don't see the importance of this discovery.

I doubt anything would be able to happen within the next 200 years, if we've failed to make an attempt to land on another planet since the moon landings. However, the use of telescope technologies has came along way and the discovery of this planet is one more step for man kind.

jamietl

by the way... if i remember right its not 20 light years away, its 20 MILLION light years away, considering that it is in a whole new galaxy and all, plus were seeing what might have been there 20 million years ago, so it could have been wiped out by a meteor by now.

It's believed the earth is 4.567 billion years old. But even to this number the exact age of the earth is difficult to define. So theoretically, that galaxy could hold out say another 500 million years.

Last edited:

violent_anger

Think smaller, more legs.
Blowing up The storm's around. In a silence Have a
by the way... if i remember right its not 20 light years away, its 20 MILLION light years away, considering that it is in a whole new galaxy and all, plus were seeing what might have been there 20 million years ago, so it could have been wiped out by a meteor by now.
...and where did you hear this?

Wormholes are hypothetical, though.
and living 20 years on some space ship while moving at the speed of light is more likely? but it doesn't matter, i wasn't serious about wormholes

Animation about Earth - Google Video

But look what we'll do if we move to other planets!
yeah, i doubt we could make mars barf. they treat the earth as some nancy-boy, but the earth is a b!tchin' tough planet. i'm talking an entire planet made of chuck norris and bruce lee. it's been hit my meteors more times then you've taken a dump.

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
I don't quite think you people understand just how far a distance of 20 lightyears is. That's many times further than the radius of our solar system. We have trouble enough getting to Mars, our neighbor planet.

How do you know that life doesn't exsist on another planet already?

No one does. It's pretty safe to say, however, that there is no life on other planets within our solar system, though (except maybe Mars).

The life on the planet would have to cope with the Solar radiation and the high gravity. Even so I'm not sure if we'd ever be able to reach this planet. Technology is too limited.

If the planet's mass and density vary proportionally with Earth's mass and density, then the atmosphere should be able to filter out more UV radiation. Whether it will filter out enough is not known, however.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
and living 20 years on some space ship while moving at the speed of light is more likely? but it doesn't matter, i wasn't serious about wormholes

No, it's less likely. My point is that it's next to impossible.

Square Ninja said:
No one does. It's pretty safe to say, however, that there is no life on other planets within our solar system, though (except maybe Mars).
90% of them aren't even inhabitable anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back