• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Earth-like Planet found 20 Light-years away

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBlade

by sinspire^
^Now that's cool. I like information like this... it would be so cool if life existed on that planet.

Yes, and there are humans on it and were smarter than us and knew they shouldn't whore out their planet because they knew everything was going to change and people will die.

Yes, we should get in contact will this planet...

The Midnight Channel

My Photoshop Just Died TT_TT
What I would like to know, is about how many years it would take to even reach this remote planet? If a light year is aproxomitly one year's time, and it moves at nearly 3 billion km/h, would it not take nearly 80 - 90 years at least with our current technology?

Or is my math wrong? I did it real quick, so its just a rough estimate.

Anyways, I think we honestly should start working on a much more powerful Teloscope and radioscope. Send radio signals and try to get a better look of the planet itself.

Hypoxium

stuff
Awards
Aha, yes, let's come in contact with their planet, and ruin it just like we're ruining ours. <___<

Raiton Kensei

Peace through Violence
Awards
I saw this on the news. I think its cool. I think it said it was in the Libra Galxy or something. Water, land, oxygen, it has all of that good stuff. I cant remember how long the news said it would take to get there but I do remember they said it would take longer than a normal human life span. I hope it is other life on that planet. It would make everything much more enteresting it it did. It also said that the because its bigger than earth it has more gravity. It said that if a human was to go to that planet, it would add 100lbs to their original body weitht. So if I was able to go there I would weigh 260lbs because on earth I weigh 160lbs.

Et Cetera

Bronze Member
intresting it'd be cool if there were other human(like) people there. Maybe the need caron dioxide to live but are polluting thier planet with oxygen,
then we could just switch planets.
oh wait, this is intel,
btw, a lightyear = the distance light travels in a year. If we were go to this planet, it would take 20 years at light speed
but we can't go at light speed, can we?
If we had vessel that move at light speed, we could get to the sun in eight seconds
yeah that should help you see how fast light moves. so it would take a really long time to get there with modern technolgy.

hm, a 13 day year, that'd be hecting trying to make a practical calender for living there
edit: 1 light year = 9.4605284 × 10(15)[15th power] meters
so 9 460 528 400 000 000.0 meters
946 052 840 000 km

edit(the sequel):
if a light year is 946052840000 km, and the planet is 20 ly away then it is
18 921 056 800 000 km away

Last edited:

TifaL91

Website
www.myspace.com
Hopefully I'm alive when they reach the planet. My question is why haven't they found this planet before or have they invented a megascope that lets scientists see farther...NVM but, if there is life, hopefully they're nice. When I heard of this discovery so many questions popped in my head!

Et Cetera

Bronze Member
according to this wikipedia artcile
27,875 km/h is the speed of an Endeavour, OV-105
as stated before. the planet is 18 921 056 800 000 km away.
so it would take 678 782 307 hours to get there or
28 282 596.1 days
or 77 486.5647 years
(all approximated numbers)
seventy seven thousand four hundred eighty six and a half years!(repeated for emphasis) crap!

edit: not to sure about my math, I don't use metric system too often, but uopn further inspection of the article posted about this lanet, it is about
120,000,000,000,000 miles away
said space shuttles goes 17,321 mi/h
so 6928006470 hours
or 288666936 days
or 790868.318 years
so my second calculations are more...better-er, lol use 'em

Last edited:

Q

Banned
Stasis chambers anyone? lol.

But seriously, we should attempt to contact this planet. Or colonize it and not whore it out when we first land. We send Greenpeace first. :D

Et Cetera

Bronze Member
what if there's life and they mistake our transimissions as having a violent intent and wage a war with us, omg!
man, I'm actually a little scared of exploration of this planet

Ip Man

IIIIZAAAAAYAAAAA
what if there's life and they mistake our transimissions as having a violent intent and wage a war with us, omg!
man, I'm actually a little scared of exploration of this planet

Lol, dont worry, you'll be six feet under before mankind has any type of contact with this planet. Heck, mankind might even disappear before we come in contact with this planet. :toungesmile:

Raiton Kensei

Peace through Violence
Awards
If it is life on there. Maybe their technology will be ALOT better than ours and they would be able to come in contact with us first. Maybe they already have come in contact with our planet, they just dont wish for us to know it yet.

Hmmmm, quite interesting!

it would be so cool if life existed on that planet.
How do you know that life doesn't exsist on another planet already?

Cloudz_followa

Website
www.myspace.com
There is ALWAYS the chance we're not alone.
PFFF. Humans, think they're the only ones.

There are millions, infinite stars out there.
Of course there'd at least be 100 other lifeforms other than us out there.
That's pretty stupid to say that we're the only ones. That'd make the human race vain.

There is ALWAYS the chance we're not alone.
PFFF. Humans, think they're the only ones.

There are millions, infinite stars out there.
Of course there'd at least be 100 other lifeforms other than us out there.
That's pretty stupid to say that we're the only ones. That'd make the human race vain.
True, what a waste of space and time. If we were the only race to exsist.

Crisis Break

Hopeless Idealist
I'm an alien! Lol okay I joke.

Yeah, I heard about this. Its true what violent anger said, we can't even get to Mars, why should we be able to hit up this place too.

Hypoxium

stuff
Awards
I'm an alien! Lol okay I joke.

Yeah, I heard about this. Its true what violent anger said, we can't even get to Mars, why should we be able to hit up this place too.

Man, you almost gave us away! Er-

I do believe that there's a large amount of life out there. Do you know how many galaxies are beyond our reach?

There could be a planet inhabited by Crab People even.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back