• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

E3 2008 location

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

pepsi458

Website
pepsi458.deviantart.com
According to a little Birdie told me E3 has come to Atlanta before and now in 2008 it is coming again due to the World's Largest Aquarium and the new Coke Cola museum being in Atlanta. This would also allow E3 to become just and big if not bigger than before and be open to the public. What do you all think of E3 coming to Atlanta

TheMuffinMan

Armchair Administrator
Frankly, E3 downsized for a reason, Developers don't want to go back to the way it was, and neither do I.

Zaraki

are....are you serious? Dude if it comes to atlanta and its open to the public that means theres a very good chance i could go. all that i have to do is avoid summer school this year and im set.

TheMuffinMan

Armchair Administrator
According to the official E3 Media Summit survey

esasurvey-thumb.JPG

Atlanta is not being considered

E3 seemed to have a very Game Developers Conference vibe this year, which is funny since GDC seemed to have a very E3 vibe this year. While previous E3s had a fun, crazy outer shell with rock bands playing live on the show floor, scantily clad men and women pitching games, tons of giveaways, the core of the experience always felt very serious to me, almost too serious, as if actually enjoying yourself, or at least the developers enjoying themselves was forbidden.

Not so this year though. This year, for all of its problems and there were plenty, had a much more relaxed feel to it, especially for the developers, at least the ones I talked to. For one thing, most of them stayed put in their hotel suites, which were very comfy, not noisy at all and often close to where they were staying.

Most of the executives we interviewed did their one-on-ones in their actual hotel rooms, allowing them to relax between the constant stream of interviews.

Shigeru Miyamoto seemed almost wistful at the beginning of our talk with him, looking out the window at the ocean and bemoaning, light-heartedly, the fact that we had to be inside working rather that outside with all of the people on vacation, enjoying themselves.

But the real sign that E3 had really changed was the number of developers, lead developers, I spotted going into other people's demos to check out games. Be it one of the leads on Starcraft II quizzing me on Rock Band, only to sneak out when I left to go play it himself, to running into an Infinity Ward developer as arrived to checkout Fallout 3. I love that the conference gave those guys a chance to check out each others games and, I suspect, talk a bit about the good and bad of development.

I might not be remembering past years as well as I think, but I definitely think that the quality of news coming out of the new E3 is better than ever. The interviewers seem to have been getting better more complete answers. And the thing i really noticed, there was WAY fewer articles about people waiting for hours to play a game or not getting to play a game because of the line. While i did see a few of those complaints I think overall they were fewer than ever before.

So as a gaming news consumer I have to say that the new E3 is more effective and enjoyable. Blogs, magazines, and the press in general can now give us actual information, with thorough reviews and impressions, and easier interviews with developers. You can actually get ahold of a controller for more than 3 minutes, and without a 3 hour wait in line. Developers are more readily available for interviews and Q&A, instead of bustling about tending their stations, they can walk around like any other person and see what others are offering

Developers used to have to spend millions on live entertainment, flashy women and adverts, huge booths with flashing lights and blasting music, long lines and huge staff employment to tend to everything. Now that E3 is downsized, Developers can go back to actually showing the games, talking about the games, letting everyone see and play their games, it's a more relaxed and casual environment that allows for an overall more and higher quality information/news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back