• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

dyad

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vicodin

relative power
So I've been doing a decent amount of drawing lately, which is actually hella good considering I haven't drawn for myself in like 3 years. All of them have been characters from TV shows though, but likkeeee....

First, drawing of Richard Castle (Nathan Fillion) from the show Castle.

2zj9xrs.jpg

Okay now two drawings of characters from the show Orphan Black.

ily42v.png

Helena

3133qmh.png

Cosima Niehaus

All of the were done using refs and each in the span of somewhere between 4 and 8 hours.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
I really like the top one with Castle! They're so life like with the structure to their faces , and look like they've been painted instead
of drawn. xD The second look great too. Having her be cloaked in shadows, but, her hair standing out. I can't remember their names but, I know it's from Orphan Black.

Vicodin

relative power
LOOK YEAH I'M DOING THINGS AGAIN.

Thanks, KitKat. Appreciate that. :]

Ugh though the one thing that I hate about my drawings is hair. Like, just can't do it.

New thing:

4vr1ok.jpg

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
You're welcome, Happy Holocaust. C:

I think the way you went about their hair is very artistic and something I'd see in a magazine.

New pictures, yay!

Okay, first thing I'd say is the left eye doesn't quite match the right. Partly because, it's further away and the eye itself isn't as big as the one on the right. Unless, you were trying to make it look like he's looking at something to our left? :3 The rest of his facial structure is spot on, plus, I like the way you showed his neck.

Will you be making more and I was wondering if we'd be expecting more people from tv shows? 8)

Vicodin

relative power
His.. eye is actually like that. The image I used as reference for Crowley/Mark Shepphard is weird? Idk. Here look for yourself lol : http://www.releasedonkey.com/big/TV...rk-sheppard-in-supernatural-large-picture.jpg

But I do know what you mean it does look weird but I don't even know aha. And he is supposed to be looking off not straight ahead. I tried to go for the traditional portrait look because christ Crowley became the king of hell and he is motherfuckin' classy as shit.

I will be drawing more but I'm headed to a convention this weekend so I won't be then but next week I will be, honestly probably the rest of the cast of Orphan Black because I am addicted.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
Damn, that last one is just amazing.

These digital drawings are so inspiring. *Wacom sits in storage* Some proportions are off here and there (nitpicky about Nathan Fillion <3), but these are great!

Pablo

rocket sloth
Awards
Website
prodimator.tumblr.com
well I don't know balls about drawing and what not but I am really impressed with the shadows and lighting on the last one.

meirge

Website
coldghosts.tumblr.com
these are really impressive, i've got such a thing for portraits so aaah
what i'm noticing shading wise is it seems a lot of your tones you use for shading don't seem to have much variation. i see a lot of browns or grays, where more purple or red tones in the right areas would reeaally give the faces dimension.
one in particular is in your mark sheppard portrait, there's a zone in his cheeks that should have an almost orange tone, but you're using more of a pale brown. sorry if that sounds super vague haha.
otherwise i love your attention to detail in the hair especially, you do a great job with that! really nice work

Subtly Inspiring
Technically speaking, these are impressive. You could always improve in mixing your shadows better but sometimes rough works, ya know?
Now color-wise, it looks like you're pulling colors from the references directly. This isn't bad, but it definitely looks uninspired. One of the first things you learn when working with physical mediums like gouache and acrylic is to always mix with neutral tones. Warm/cool neutral of course. So imagine you're mixing your shadows with a bit of that. You WANT your shadows to have some variations of purples and yellows. Always. Light bends and curves and those colors are natural to find in shadows and lighting. They're hard to pick out with color droppers but you should be able to trust your own sensibilities to feel out when your colors look muddy.
Again, they're great! I'd like to see better colors though ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back