• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Dubstep

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Massive Attack

Dial 'M' for 'Motherfucker'
Awards
basically the evolution of UK Garage (particularly 2-step) into something completely different... dubbed out trippy electronic music with garage like rhythms. got popular through pirate radios in london and then everyone caught on (much thanks to DJ Mary Anne Hobbes of bbc radio 1).

its been around for a few years, so it's really matured now with artists like Zomby introducing rave and even chiptune into it. The more dance-oriented artists are pretty fucking great. Burial is probably the most highly regarded artist of the scene with dark trippy tunes that recall Massive Attack (yo nig) with its distorted soul samples. International artists like Flying Lotus, Samiyam and Quarta 330 are doing their own takes on it as well.

personally prefer singles/EPs to albums in this genre. short and sweet.

stuff I particularly like: Burial, Joker, Zomby, Joy Orbison, Mount Kimbie, Quarta 330, Kode9 + The Spaceape, King Midas Sound, 16Bit

so yeah, INNIT BLAT. it'll all be UNCOOL in a couple of years no doubt.

Massive Attack

Awards
I have like 10 dub albums and I can honestly say it all sounds the fucking same haha. But it's all cool anyway. I can recommend some stuff if you want? As I said, it's getting pretty varied now, so there's loads of styles that it's going into: dance music, ambient, minimalism, chiptune, reggae, shit there's even Joanna Newsom remixes.

Faris

Perfect Harmony
Dance // minimalism would be pretty rad. Yeah my father has an EXTENSIVE amount of dub, from what I can tell he is the only one who can notice any difference what so ever in the music haha. By the way how was Steve Reich?

Massive Attack

Awards
RADICOOL. music for 18 musicians for like 15 minutes logner than usual was somewhat painful but still good.
bout time you had a name change as well.

C

Crazium

Galen is a language I'll never quite get the linguistics of

Faris

Perfect Harmony
Galen is a language I'll never quite get the linguistics of

Sorry dude we just sort of started having a conversation in the thread.

@ MA - yeah dude, definitely feeling this more than RSP. Still kinda gay though. I started watching some Reich on the youtube a while ago. Would love to see that like for real.

C

Crazium

Sorry dude we just sort of started having a conversation in the thread.
I'm just saying that in general

So I downloaded a Massive Attack album once and it came with Dub genre tags

ridin 22s yo

Agoraphobia

beautiful days
Awards
I just got into Burial the other day because of a friend. Also, I'm gonna listen to Zomby now because I love chiptune, and dub (so far).

Iwrestledabearonce

Δdrug gangΔ
Awards
Dubstep has a pretty big thing going on in my city. A lot of the rave kids listen to dub, and a LOT of people make dubstep here.

I just got a flashdrive full of random dub, on a sidenote. So, yeah.

TheMuffinMan

Armchair Administrator
Dubstep is getting really big in the Philadelphia rave scene, and I just kinda find it annoying. atleast what's been around here is kinda mindless warbling that kids can trip out to and go "dooood". so, raves stop being about dancing and deep levels/layers to the music, and instead are drumNbass/dubstep that kinds all collectively take drugs in the same room to and then shuffle around for 6 hours

Massive Attack

Awards
Dubstep has a pretty big thing going on in my city. A lot of the rave kids listen to dub, and a LOT of people make dubstep here.

I just got a flashdrive full of random dub, on a sidenote. So, yeah.

Dubstep is getting really big in the Philadelphia rave scene, and I just kinda find it annoying. atleast what's been around here is kinda mindless warbling that kids can trip out to and go "dooood". so, raves stop being about dancing and deep levels/layers to the music, and instead are drumNbass/dubstep that kinds all collectively take drugs in the same room to and then shuffle around for 6 hours

shit really? what kind of stuff do you keep hearing/hearing about? just wondering what kind of stuff has made it over there. and what's on this flashdrive of yours, (ridiculous name)?

i'd say a lot of it sounds all the fucking same though (and is pretty boring).... obviously there's a bad side to every style of music, but as i said... the more out-there artists who are doing new stuff are pretty good. It's definitely not just mindless dance music for drug taking; a lot of it is pretty DEEP, i.e. King Midas Sound who have some badass Jamaican poet telling stories over the music... obviously this is more of an atmospheric thing, which there is definitely not a shortage of in the genre. But hey I love the more dance oriented artists too.

I'd say it's pretty cross cultural as well; chavs at my school sometimes talk about it, but music nerds who are dead into unlistenable jazz go on about it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back