• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Dose any body realy hate Re:coded

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

fangsora

After replaying Re:coded and finishing it it became 1 of my top 5 favorite kingdom hearts game's. After a long search through the internet I wonder if people love Re:coded the same way I did but I was unfortunate. many people hated kingdom hearts Re:coded because of the gameplay but not the story so that makes me wonder? Dose any body really hate Re:coded if so tell me why?

ShardofTruth

Unchained
Awards
I'm even more baffled that there are people who seemlingly love the story of Re:coded. It's basically just a rehash of a rehash with a weird frame story and now even the ending, which was kind of important, is devalued by Dream Drop Distance.

I think the gameplay is really fun and sometimes challenging, miles better than the awful mess we got in 358/2 Days and the grind-heavy gameplay of Chain of Memories.

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
I think the story itself is charming but relies to heavily on events that already transpired in the series. The gameplay however is amazing, and I'm actually replaying it now.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
The game is one of my top favorites. A coherent story, the Disney worlds having a better involvement than say the worlds in KHII and BBS did, and the varied gameplay was fun and kept things fresh for the most part, but the System Sectors were repetitive and not really all that interesting. It had great interaction between Data Sora and Data Riku, and the story even showed that Pete can actually be a bit of a threat.

Anagram

Banned
I'm even more baffled that there are people who seemlingly love the story of Re:coded. It's basically just a rehash of a rehash with a weird frame story and now even the ending, which was kind of important, is devalued by Dream Drop Distance.
Nearly every game is a rehash at this point so I don't see the problem.

I liked the game. The story was more lighthearted and God forbid the digital versions were more enjoyable than Sora has ever been on his own. Not every game needs to be some deep story with a sad ending like pretty much every single one has been. KH2 is the only one that didn't have a sad or bittersweet ending.

It was just fun is why I like it plain and simple. It wasn't to long, the gameplay was funner than DDD or BBS could ever hope to be and it gave actual value to things like keyblades and accessories by making them upgradable and by attaching abilities to them.

The story offered merely what DDD confirmed with hearts and junk which devalues nothing. It also and frankly more importantly let Mickey know that several people he's been looking for can be found through Sora as well which wouldve remained a mystery if it was skipped because DDD tells nothing of how Mickey learns of the others locations.
Sure could've squeezed a scene in and skip Coded but the same can be said of Days and the entirety of its story which was solely to show how Roxas left.

Anyone that didn't like Coded based solely on its story doesn't want a game they want a narrative.
Now if someone dislikes the game for gameplay, story and the whole shebang then their complaint is understandable and valid as far as I'm concerned.

12kez90

Honestly, the story is what I really like while the different gameplay, at fun at times, didn't really care for as I preferred the standard hack n' slash (if you can call KH's gameplay that) stuff. Maybe I need to replay it to see if my opinion changes. Bottom line, I wouldn't say I hate Re:Coded, more that I'm indifferent to it.

0701Noctis

I enjoyed the game. I thought the gameplay was fun and interesting. The plot was enjoyable and a nice break from the downer endings of BBS and Days. I don't hate the plots of those games, its just that sometimes we need a break from the doom and gloom. Just because a game or any other media has a lighthearted story doesn't automatically mean its bad. There are some darker themed stories that are terrible (e.g. All-Star Batman and Robin).

Overall, re:coded wasn't as bad as most people make it out to be.

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards
I still rank Re:coded higher than Days, but while I enjoyed the story and some of the characterization (Data Sora > actual Sora), I wouldn't rank it as high as, say, DDD and KH2FM for me (though at least this one's story functions better than KH2's mess of a story). That being said, I still think, with the exception of not having Flowmotion, this game is the best the gameplay has ever been, hands down. I loved the variety, I loved being able to replay bosses, the system sectors could be repetitive but were also very nice puzzles, the leveling grid thing was the most ambitious leveling system I have ever seen in this series, and it took the Command Deck of BbS and made it better, while taking Days' panel system and actually making it fun.

Gameplay-wise, I definitely find it to be the best, even if overall it doesn't rank as high as the others.

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
I still rank Re:coded higher than Days, but while I enjoyed the story and some of the characterization (Data Sora > actual Sora), I wouldn't rank it as high as, say, DDD and KH2FM for me (though at least this one's story functions better than KH2's mess of a story). That being said, I still think, with the exception of not having Flowmotion, this game is the best the gameplay has ever been, hands down. I loved the variety, I loved being able to replay bosses, the system sectors could be repetitive but were also very nice puzzles, the leveling grid thing was the most ambitious leveling system I have ever seen in this series, and it took the Command Deck of BbS and made it better, while taking Days' panel system and actually making it fun.

Gameplay-wise, I definitely find it to be the best, even if overall it doesn't rank as high as the others.

The gameplay was all right. I wish I could have gotten the Secret Ending, but somethings came up and I had to leave it behind. I still have the box that game came in, fortunately. I don't know what good that will do me, aside from having something to hold the Re:Coded game I decide to re-buy.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Re:Coded was my very first experience with a KH game, so I was completely in the dark about everything plot-related. Its overarching narrative relied very heavily on events of past games and never bothered to explain them in full, assuming that the player already knew everything that had transpired over the last several years. For me, the whole concept that KH rode on (a lot of Disney in one game with original characters) was fascinating in of itself, and the gameplay was pretty fun. I had no clue who Sora was or why Mickey Mouse seemed to know him, but it didn't matter at the time.

Looking back on the game now, it's certainly not the best; it's really an inferior rehash of the first KH with almost no plot relevance whatsoever until the very, very end. And yet, considering that it was good enough that it pulled me into the rest of the games, I can't bring myself to hate it.

Plus, I'll never really forget those legitimately terrifying moments when an overpowered Eliminator Heartless would appear in those bug-fixing segments. Forget Dream Eaters, those are the true Nightmare enemies...

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I liked the game. The story was more lighthearted and God forbid the digital versions were more enjoyable than Sora has ever been on his own. Not every game needs to be some deep story with a sad ending like pretty much every single one has been. KH2 is the only one that didn't have a sad or bittersweet ending.
Off-topic, but I wonder why people always say this about KH2? It's definitely the one game with the least plot questions left at the end, but so much of the ending movie is bittersweet. The way Namine and Roxas appear momentarily before the credits roll was a gut-punch-moment, I thought? And "Sanctuary" has always sounded depressing to me.

Anagram

Banned
Off-topic, but I wonder why people always say this about KH2? It's definitely the one game with the least plot questions left at the end, but so much of the ending movie is bittersweet. The way Namine and Roxas appear momentarily before the credits roll was a gut-punch-moment, I thought? And "Sanctuary" has always sounded depressing to me.

That sir is a matter of view and view alone. It's a debate from the older years but the same nonetheless. There will always be some that see that moment as bittersweet and others that don't. It's just that simple.
And back in the day before this handheld craziness it wasn't as bittersweet and to me it's still not. Bittersweet and sad to me is one of the other games where someone is always split up, Xehanort partially wins or nobody wins. In comparison KH2 just isn't they bittersweet or sad.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
I really shouldn't be commenting on the matter, since I played only through like Traverse Town on my DS, but the gameplay seemed cleaned up from BBS's command deck, and it seemed fun and cool to be able to use all those moves. Usually, I hear complaints about the story, and these I kind of have to agree with. While the Disney segments are simple to understand, they don't impact the plot all that much, so I can't really be too invested in them. I really don't care for the underlying themes of the story, either, especially for why people like the Castle Oblivion part of the story. I watched the full movie all in one go at my house (huge mistake right off the bat) and around the Castle Oblivion part is where I started to get antsy and bored. The action scenes, while kept reasonably short, were fun and all, but around when they got to Castle Oblivion I began to notice that there was soooooo much repetition in the story. If I heard the words "the hurt" one more time, someone was going to be feeling "the hurt" is what i'm saying. Otherwise, it's not like it's one of the worst stories I've ever seen or anything, it just kind of drags on, like the Days movie did. The gameplay was really cool though, and now I'm compelled to play through the actual DS game because of this thread :) (plus, to be fair, they could have just told us that Sora was going to save people; we didn't need to go through an entire game for just a little piece of the puzzle, is all i'm saying) :D

Larxene012

Banned
My personal gripe with re:coded is that it is not an isolated game. It is a game trying to be the next step into the series.

I've played through it all, and it was relentless. Some gameplay aspects were great, but it felt just like a series of mini games that were okish. It definitely ofers some level of grinding and collecting that the series allows.

I hate it for the story 100%, not because it was relevant but still gives itself the excuse that it is relevant. If it was 100% un-connected to the rest of the story, i would've been happy. There is also Pete and malificent melding which really seemed annoying. I was hoping for a villain unique to KH re:coded.

Kh Re:coded/coded is an "excuse" not a "happy option".

Last edited:

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
Yeah, as Nomura points out, none of the games really have a happy ending, with KH2 perhaps being the closest the series has come.

I love Re:Coded. Always have. Always will. There are parts of it that are iffy, but generally, I had a really fun time playing it, and I loved the interaction between Sora and Riku in the title. I also really appreciated how cohesive the whole thing is. The gameplay elements pull from the theme and setting in a way the other games don't. Everything is very unifed and adds up to a whole. You have the glitch/data motif in not just the story but in the gameplay and systems as well. I loved that. I also liked a more light-hearted, hopeful, story. Its Dearly Beloved is so happy, lol. Like Incognito says, not every game needs to be super dramatic and depressing. I enjoyed my time with Re:Coded.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
The biggest downside for me is how Kairi is completely shafted. She should've been the journal, lol. That would've been interesting.

Awards
I wouldn't say I hated the game, but I was sitting there playing it the whole time expecting Kairi to pop up somewhere because her drawing was in the cave so clearly she had to exist. Thus, I was pretty unhappy with that because that painted my experience of it. However, I realize that is horribly bias of me. The game itself wasn't that bad, objectively speaking, but I don't know that I'd call it that good, either. Data Sora and Not-Riku's conversations were nice, though.

HugoDipper

The story is fun and the gameplay is amazing! Some people dislike Re:Coded but don't understand the fun of the game, it's a retelling of the first Kingdom Hearts story wth some twists and inovative sections of gameplay. Who can't forget to battle Maleficent in a 2D side-scroller stage, the Wonderland segment where you had to hide from the guards and finally tinkering with the Matrix System?

It's a fun game overall and in my opinion is better in a lot of ways than BBS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back