• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

"Don't ask, Don't tell" Repeal

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich

Come out, Tigerlily
Awards
Website
rairich.blogspot.com
Obviously gays should be allowed in the military. The Senate did a full investigation and found that it wouldn't cause damage to allow gays to serve openly. And with 2 wars, we could use the extra manpower without kicking intelligent and educated people out, simply because of who they love.

Awards
I'm opposed to repealing Don't Ask, Don't Tell.

I don't think it's an issue that many people really understand. The law was implemented to protect gay servicemen and women, not to alienate them. Why? Because Article 125 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice makes sodomy a legally punishable offense when committed by anybody in uniform. Prior to DADT going into effect, there was a de facto witch hunt going on in the armed services to prosecute homosexuals and have them dishonorably discharged and court martialed. Not because Bill Clinton was some kind of homophobe.

The priorities are totally backward. The focus should have been on amending the UCMJ first, and then on repealing Don't Ask, Don't Tell. I'm 100% in favor of gays being allowed to serve openly in the military, but this vote was a mistake.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
I don't have a problem with gay people serving in the military. I just think that something has to be done to make the straight men feel comfortable living their private lives with other gay men. Maybe separate accommodations/living arrangements or something. Telling them to just "get over it" and deal with gay men showering with them and stuff isn't going to work, and in the long run, we want our military to be united, even if that means dividing them in living accommodations. But that all requires time and money so really I don't know what should be done.

I guess the cheapest and easiest solution was to just keep quiet about your gayness when you sign up for the military.

(but nooooooooo, it's like some people need to openly flaunt their sexuality as if it's detrimental to their identity for everyone to know....it's not like if the military was gay, and I wanted to join it, that I would give two shits about telling anybody how straight I am and risk getting kicked out... 8l)

Guess it wasn't feasible in the long run.

I don't think it's an issue that many people really understand. The law was implemented to protect gay servicemen and women, not to alienate them. Why? Because Article 125 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice makes sodomy a legally punishable offense when committed by anybody in uniform. Prior to DADT going into effect, there was a de facto witch hunt going on in the armed services to prosecute homosexuals and have them dishonorably discharged and court martialed. Not because Bill Clinton was some kind of homophobe.

The priorities are totally backward. The focus should have been on amending the UCMJ first, and then on repealing Don't Ask, Don't Tell. I'm 100% in favor of gays being allowed to serve openly in the military, but this vote was a mistake.

This too.

Last edited:

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
It's kind of a different thing to make accommodations for showering or sleeping very close with someone who might be sexually attracted to you, to having different water fountains, buses, and restaurants for someone.

I mean don't they do it for men and women? Different barracks and such? I'm not too knowledgeable about military living conditions. Is that kind of segregation bad?

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
I think if we ignore the whole study that determined that combat effectiveness wouldn't suffer (Joints Chiefs of Staff and all that), Admiral Whatshisface had said something to the effect of "Soldiers follow fucking orders". If a soldier is ordered to go to Afghanistan, that's his order. If a soldier has to share a bunk bed with a gay man, that's his order. Enlisted solder misgivings don't determine armed forces policy.

Turn

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ~&#
Awards
Website
flavors.me
I just think that something has to be done to make the straight men feel comfortable living their private lives with other gay men. Maybe separate accommodations/living arrangements or something. Telling them to just "get over it" and deal with gay men showering with them and stuff isn't going to work
Because that wasn't what was already happening??? They were already doing all of those things with gay men and women in their midst; if there's any inherent threat of sexual harassment, it was already there. But I really doubt that anybody's joining the military to troll for ass to begin with. Moreover, the point of the repeal was never to out every homosexual in the service (I imagine they all plan to continue keeping their private lives private, as anyone else), but to eliminate the threat of being discharged for something so irrelevant and non-defining as one's sexual preference.

I don't entirely disagree with Sam, but that doesn't change the sentiment behind the repeal.

Alaude Drenxta

\+The Devil's+/ .{Advocate}.
My best friend is gay. He makes come ons at me constantly.
When we went to the beach, we all showered in the same room.
I'm happily married, to a woman.

So no, homosexuality doesn't bother. A man is no more likely to try raping me than a woman is, and if he does, I can kick his ass, can't hit a woman.

As for your idea of separating them up, Dogen, it sounds great in theory, but the honest fact is that the US armed forces are so strained on cash that often you will see 3 or even 4 people living, permanently, in a space originally designed for two. It is too crowded already for them to devote time, effort, and the immense amount of cash it would take to get something like that accomplished.

Truly, it sucks that they can't be openly gay. However, the military is a damn job. It isn't a time for silly business.
When at work, sexuality should NOT be present. After work, go have sex with all the men you please.

Phoenix said:
If a soldier has to share a bunk bed with a gay man, that's his order. Enlisted solder misgivings don't determine armed forces policy.

This.

krexia

Translator
Awards
Telling them to just "get over it" and deal with gay men showering with them and stuff isn't going to work...
Sure it is. These are people who can "get over" their fear of gruesome and bloody death when told to risk their lives. If they're ordered to share quarters with gay men, they'll cope.

I'm sorry, do you feel comfortable with strange naked straight men showering with you?
Totally. I've been to mixed-sex onsen, it's no big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back