• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Does Vanitas have a heart ?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Muke

whatever
Awards
In the Manga, it is also established that Vanitas is abused by Xehanort, emotionally and physically (if I'm correct). He is told by Xehanort that the only way to end his suffering is for him to merge with Ventus as one being again and form the X-Blade.
You should also mention that the manga isn't canon to the games~ (even though people treat the manga and novels as second-tier canon or something)

Ventus_

Awards
The split occurred by physical separation due to the keyblade. It's just a power the keyblade holds. The personification was simply a matter of how much darkness he was exposed to and how much physical pain the unversed make Vanitas go through, causing him to act out violently. It was just a matter of time until Vanitas would have gained some sort of personality.

In the Manga, it is also established that Vanitas is abused by Xehanort, emotionally and physically (if I'm correct). He is told by Xehanort that the only way to end his suffering is for him to merge with Ventus as one being again and form the X-Blade.

It happened when Ventus was still trained by Master Xehanort ("MX" from here on).
MX wanted Ventus to open up to the darkness in his heart and use it, because he wanted to use Ventus's body as a new vessel for his own soul (his own body was pretty old and weakened).
Ventus refused, so MX decided to tear the darkness out of Ventus's heart and create a new being from it. And that way, Vanitas was born.

Thanx to you both.
Now I understand.
Ven is officially my favorite BBS character, this is such a great story.
I might just look into the manga.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Actually that part about Vanitas isn't even in a manga. It's in the novels of which we don't even KNOW if they are canon, so they can't even be considered second tier canon.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
Thanx to you both.
Now I understand.
Ven is officially my favorite BBS character, this is such a great story.
I might just look into the manga.

Please do! The mangas rock, just know that they're non canon to the main series is all!

EDIT: @Voidgear. I always assumed both the novels and the manga were non-canon, but I always mix them up in my head :p I only got to read a couple of them

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Please do! The mangas rock, just know that they're non canon to the main series is all!

EDIT: @Voidgear. I always assumed both the novels and the manga were non-canon, but I always mix them up in my head :p I only got to read a couple of them

I don't exactly know the manga, there are parts of them that can't be canon if looked into the main games as the first tier canon, but as for the (BBS) novels, most of that stuff is highly possible, just not confirmed.

Ventus_

Awards
Actually that part about Vanitas isn't even in a manga. It's in the novels of which we don't even KNOW if they are canon, so they can't even be considered second tier canon.

I don't exactly know the manga, there are parts of them that can't be canon if looked into the main games as the first tier canon, but as for the (BBS) novels, most of that stuff is highly possible, just not confirmed.

Sucks that the publications aren't solid canon, but I could still enjoy them. I quite enjoy TV series based novels which are non-canon.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards

Yeah, there's new characters, characters returning, and alternate scenes, right? If I remember, Riku Replica survives, then the 44 Vexen Replica's follow Riku Replica on a journey or something, but #44 murders Xaldin after he gets back from Sora's battle? I don't know, those are the main differences that stuck in my head :p

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
Folks, nothing about Vanitas in the manga can be canon. The very suggestion is ludicrous.

Because BBS doesn't have a manga. :p

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Folks, nothing about Vanitas in the manga can be canon. The very suggestion is ludicrous.

Because BBS doesn't have a manga. :p

Lol, exactly.

This isn't really new but since this misconception still seems to run strong in the fandom it should be stated as often as possible:

The manga and the novels are two completely different thngs.

The manga, written by Shiro Amano, consists only of KH 1 ( 4 volumes), CoM (2 volumes), Days (5 volumes) and KH 2 (10 volumes) and is considered "finished".
The manga is considered an alternate continuity on its own independent from the main series (read: games)-canon.

The Kingdom Hearts novels on the other hand are written by Tomoco Kanemaki, who is a member of Nomura's actual KH staff (and the creator of the character Xion) and there exist novels for nearly every KH game so far, exceptions being BBS 0.2 and the whole X[chi]-era.
Kanemaki does get some background information and additional "goodies" from Nomura hmself occasionally so unlike the manga, Nomura is involved with the novels on the sidelines.
Since the novels hold stuff that is not in the games both unconfirmed and outright contradicting some parts in some cases, the actual canon status of them overall is arbitrary and not confirmed either positively or negatively.

That being said, most people/fans who read them agree that both the novels and the manga arguably do a much better job than the games (and Nomura by extension) in terms of characterisation of individual characters as well as relationships between characters.

Ventus_

Awards
Thanx for that very informative explanation Sephiroth. I see where the debate pertaining to the novels stems from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back