• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Does lying down count as sleeping?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mysterious

KA ME HA ME HA!
i'm having this weird question a long time ago

many times while i'm sleeping i wake up at night and cannot return to sleep
this is called insomnia, where you wake up at night because of biological changes in your body or environmental factors such as noise
so you stay awake for a long time, 1-2 hours, and after you sleep you wake up very early ending up not having enough sleeping hours.
the normal human should have 7-8 hours of sleep a day, but people with insomnia don't get more than 6 hours of sleep
in fact, it's even hard for them to get these 6 hours of sleep

the question here is: does the time you spend lying on bed trying to sleep count as sleeping hours also?
because even if you're not sleeping, you are actually resting on bed

M

Miss Murder

No. Lying down counts as lying down.
Sleeping is sort of like a regenerating process for your body. It takes about 1-2 hours to begin working, and the rest of the time your brain and body are building up more cells and such, and building up your immune system so you don't die. =]

"Resting" ( lol lying down ) is pretty close, and can be effective for just not being tired. But if you only lie down, your body won't have much of a chance to "regenerate" and such.

Has a doctor diagnosed you with insomnia? Because it could just be stress, which nearly completely prevented me from sleeping for about a week a while ago. Also caused psychosumaticy ( lol sp ) ... and I will not take the useless time to explain what doesn't need to be explained, other than it's pretty normal. As I was saying, your "insomnia" could just be stress, in which you should try relaxation techniques to help you fall asleep. But.

Yeah.
Lying down = lying down.
Lying down =/= sleep.

... wow I posted here fast. <3

Mysterious

KA ME HA ME HA!
Has a doctor diagnosed you with insomnia? Because it could just be stress, which nearly completely prevented me from sleeping for about a week a while ago. Also caused psychosumaticy ( lol sp ) ... and I will not take the useless time to explain what doesn't need to be explained, other than it's pretty normal. As I was saying, your "insomnia" could just be stress, in which you should try relaxation techniques to help you fall asleep. But.
i have this problem since i was 10 years old
and i don't have much stress in my life... my life is very simple
Lying down = lying down.
Lying down =/= sleep.
yesterday i only slept 2 hours and stayed on my bed 6 hours the whole night, and today i was functional like i had enough sleep
normally if you didn't sleep well you sleep at afternoon to rest (mostly 2 hours)
i tried to sleep today afternoon but i couldn't because i was not sleepy at all
so what could be the reason behind this?
i believe that it is durring the REM stage that the body starts to regenerate, and you cant have that when you are awake.
REM stage?

Vayne Mechanics

Expert of Asian things
Awards
:v What's this shit about regenerating body cells while asleep? Your body does that naturally whether you're sleeping or not.

MITOSIS **** YEAH.

M

Miss Murder

i have this problem since i was 10 years old
and i don't have much stress in my life... my life is very simple

yesterday i only slept 2 hours and stayed on my bed 6 hours the whole night, and today i was functional like i had enough sleep
normally if you didn't sleep well you sleep at afternoon to rest (mostly 2 hours)
i tried to sleep today afternoon but i couldn't because i was not sleepy at all
so what could be the reason behind this?

1. Stress can be an issue no matter what kind of life you have, and even when you're young.
2. You would feel like you had enough sleep in that situation because your body didn't have time to properly fall asleep, so really you would simply be feeling like you've stayed awake, but not tired.
3. Now that you explain it a bit more, it does sound like insomnia. I've had minor insomnia for a number of years, and your situation sounds a little familiar. I'd suggest getting perscription sleeping pills.

Awards
The last time I saw my doctor about my insomnia, he told me that the best thing you can do when you can't get back to sleep/can't sleep at all is to just lie there. Even if you're not sleeping, your body is still relaxed and resting. Although you won't get as much rest as you would sleeping, it's the next best thing.

Whatever you do, though, don't start watching TV or turn on a computer. Reading is alright because it tires you out more.

Mysterious

KA ME HA ME HA!
:v What's this shit about regenerating body cells while asleep? Your body does that naturally whether you're sleeping or not.

MITOSIS **** YEAH.
maybe she meant the cells regenerate in a faster way (super mitosis lol)
Whatever you do, though, don't start watching TV or turn on a computer. Reading is alright because it tires you out more.
watching TV is supposed to make you tired, all of the light and colors coming out from it make you dizzy
and i hate books... they're not fun at all
I'd suggest getting perscription sleeping pills.
i'll use panadol night today, if it doesn't work then all i have to say is "life sucks"

Mysterious

KA ME HA ME HA!
This drug works wonders;
Temazepam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was on it for a while, best taken with a full stomach.
thanks, i just bought it from the pharmacy (it's expensive)
Get an illness, that'll tire you out.
no... just no
I wish I was more of an insomniac then I already am, being awake is awesome.
again, no...
stands for rapid eye movement.
It's a phase of sleep.
Wikipedia-REM sleep
so... your eyes move in 20% of your sleep...
this is very new to me, i read the whole article

Samber

Your Mom's Mom's Daughter

MITOSIS **** YEAH.

The body sifts through information when its asleep, throwing away useless things, and keeping important ones. Sleep also helps you learn, in a sense. For example lets say you're practicing football, when sleeping your brain will meorize every successful attempt, thusly making you better at that particular thing.

Top Ten Way To Fall Asleep Faster

1.Kick the Caffeine. It's not rocket science that caffeine keeps your body awake. It's a stimulant, which is why a lot of us use it to keep functioning throughout the day! In reality, it can stay in your body for up to 14 hours, so keep that in mind when you dive into your cup of coffee or can of Coke before hitting the sack. Try to take your last caffeinated drink at least 4 to 6 hours before bedtime.

2.Don't Drink Alcohol. At first, it might seem like an easy way for you to knock yourself out at night, but it actually causes disturbances in your sleep, therefore leading to a restless sleep which will leave you feeling tired the next morning.

3.Try to Relax! Stress is part of everyday life, but it can make you miserable and leave you up at night. Try to develop a "system" to break the connection between the day's stresses and bedtime. It can be as short as 10 minutes, or as long as an hour to disconnect from your day. Read a book, meditate, take a hot bath!

4.Exercise! Regular exercise is not only good for you physcially, but studies have shown that people that exercise on a regular basis sleep better at night. Don't exercise in the evening though if you have trouble sleeping, it can make you more alert so for those of us that can't sleep, it's best to do it in the morning.

5.Keep your bedroom quiet and dark. For a lot of people, even the slightest noises can keep them up at night. Use earplugs, dark windows and curtains, or even a fishtank for "relaxing" noise. Don't use the overhead light if you can help it, and keep the temperature at a comfortable level for you.

6.Eat right. Try not to go to bed when you're hungry. But, don't eat a heavy meal before bed either! Milk contains "tryptophan" which is a sleep-promoting substance. Other foods that you might want to snack on before bed would also be avocados, eggs, peaches, potatoes or bananas.

7.Don't smoke before bed! Even though that last "butt" of the night might make you more relaxed, nicotine has similar effects as caffeine. It will release a stimulant in your body, which will cause you to lie awake at night!

8.Don't Nap! If you have trouble sleeping at night, try not to nap during the day. If you do, keep it short! A brief power nap can be rejuvenating, but keep it to just 15 or 20 minutes.

9.Keep Fido off the bed. If your pet sleeps with you, this might cause some sleeping problems as well. If your pet moves around at night, it can disturb your sleep - not to mention if you have allergies, it won't help those either!

10.Don't Watch TV, Eat or Argue in bed. Try to get in the habit of keeping your bed for sleep only. It's not a place to watch tv, eat or argue with your spouse. All of these will make it difficult for you to fall asleep.

Just for you. ;D

Last edited:

Reflection

Princess of Heart
Awards
I have insomnia too. It sucks. Staring at the ceiling all night...ugh.

On the contrary Samber, my kitty and my dog help me sleep. But whateva, depends on who you are.

Well, here's what I'm supposed to do:
* no caffeine after 3 PM
* exercise
* don't watch TV or stay on the computer after 9 PM (lol, I usually break this one)
* Melatonin- it's a supplement- and absolutely wonderful. :D I love it, take 2 mg, and I get around 7 hrs of sleep

Hope this helped? :)

TheLastKnight

You Swear To Listen
Website
s9.invisionfree.com
Well, to answer your question, No.

I have insomnia, and I barely get enough sleep at all, and there are even times when I just lay there, wishing I could fall asleep, but I can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back