• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Does KH cause unrealistic expectations?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperSailorEarth

Let's be honest: a [large] part of the reason that we love and adore Kingdom Hearts enough to form such a huge community around it is because of the characters. We love how they are and especially their relationships with each other. Regardless of what we read between the lines of who should be shipped with whom and who the closest friends really are each of us find a certain comfort in their relationships. They're beautiful, they're ideal, and they're always able to make it through whatever tough situation because of the magical sparkly powers of their friendships. "My friends are my power"

That's why I have come to find a certain solace in the series, but contradictorily there's also a certain lingering sentiment, if you will. We all see qualities in all these characters that make us love them, and I think of them as examples of what true friends are.

But this is where I also see a question in my life? Are these standards set by these characters too unrealistic? I'm not talking about the "Hey I just met you, and this is crazy, but NOW WE ARE BEST BEST FRIENDS FOREVER" aspects, but about Sora's concern for Riku and Kairi after the islands fell aspect. Personally, I find the "I wonder what happened to my friends?" question to be completely logical, but now that I know a lot of different people I KNOW that not everyone would think that. So it has lead me to this new question about not only Kingdom Hearts, but all the anime, manga, and all media I have ever consumed: have I been taught unrealistic standards for my friends or have I just chosen shitty ones?

At the moment I am obligated to lean towards the latter, but the ideals of true friendship, of truly loving another person, are also highly lofted ideals. But, they are ideals for a reason, and have to exist somewhere to even be conceived right? And the next logical question to me is what I'm really struggling with: is it even fair of me to think in this manner? Can I compare anything about any living person I know to a character like Sora, who epitomizes friendship, and be just in doing so?

What does everyone else think? Is this an over thought brought on by my tendency to negativity or should this be a valid question?

[Honestly, I really really REALLY want to see Sora be betrayed (in a more harmful manner than Namine. Not because I'm a sadist, but I want to see the reaction.]

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
To put it simply...kind of. Well I wouldn't say it causes unrealistic expectations but the ones in the series go above and beyond most normal attachments and values. KH is a very indulgent fantasy. The good guys always win, the bad guys always lose, and even if the bad guys have the upper hand for a time and the good guys are getting the short end of the stick the latter eventually triumphs. Dreams come true so long as you wish for it hard enough, everyone are BFFs, friendship and light is the greatest source of power, you never have to go the bathroom, etc, etc, etc, it's a power fantasy. Many fantastical tales are like this.

So unrealistic they break suspension of disbelief? Eh, I wouldn't say that. While the relationships are super-duper-chocolaty amazing they all have some bases and there are many people who do form very powerful relationships in real life. Of course KH idealizes it but friendships like that do exist.

Granted there are shitty people out there. Real life isn't as black and white as good people and bad people whom, for the most part, are easily distinguished. Sometimes even making friends who are generally bad people are hard to avoid. The ideals of true friendship do exist, yes, it's just not as easy to find as the series perceives.

Is it fair to think in that manner? That's not an easy question. It's not wrong to have expectations on some sort of level, if you have someone or some people you care dearly about you want those feelings to be reciprocated preferably to at least the same level and have loyalty and kindness. Likewise you also have to show that dedication but not get anything in return.

What I take away from the series is that as a person you should always strive to do the right thing, even if you don't get payed back for it. Again, this is a power fantasy so good deeds are always rewarded while that's not always true of real life. If you feel that you want these sort of relationships but haven't found them yet perhaps you will someday. I can't say if you will or won't but it's always a possibility. After all, fantasy is based on reality and fantasy inspires reality.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
Media, in general, gives people unrealistic expectations to a degree. You just have to be aware that you are indulging in a fantasy and explore what real life is really like so you can understand yourself and fiction in general better.

Relix

A traveler
Awards
I'd say anything fantasy like with that fairy tale feel is bound to give its audience and unrealistic depiction of something or other, especially people and their choices and behavior towards others. If anything I think what these sorta things do is that it doesn't necessarily set unrealistic expectations rather it just sets moral codes or moral guidelines similar to childhood "moralized" fairy tales (i say 'moralized' because the original fairy tales were fucked up and pretty creepy but cool and they still taught you a lesson in life but it was exactly disney material if ya know what i mean). You wouldn't say, "I don't want her to be my friend because she isn't kind like Cinderella" or "He isn't self-sacrificing like Riku. Not good friend material." It sets standards to a degree but I don't think their unrealistic standards just a model. "I like how self-sacrificing that person is" and maybe down the line you'll think "Hey they remind me of Riku"

But to be completely honest I doubt KH has shaped the way I choose my friends or something.

stephaknee

Hakuna Matata
one day i'm going to be transported to a world where i'm a princess and there's magic and dragons and demons and no desk job the end.

Jesus

Hater-bending
Awards
I think that the japanese just have this super heightened idea of bonds and friendship in general. For example the idea of nakama in japanese culture sometimes even transcends the idea of family, or at least attribute to it the same level of kinship.

And then when you take the fact that Kingdom Hearts is a fantasy that incorporates Disney ideals, that idea is only bolstered.

So after you understand all that, you have to realize that reality is completely different from Kingdom hearts, obviously (especially in a place like America where I believe people and their ideals are way more cutthroat than in Japan). But I do believe that as an individual you should strive to treat people how you'd like to be treated, which I know is cliche but is true.

Fortissimo

Kingdom Hearts is a story. All stories teach us some sort of lesson that is up for our own interpretation. Stories have some sort of influence on us, especially as children, that have the potential to stick with us our entire lives. They can inspire us to be a certain way, or have a certain dream or career. Since Kingdom Hearts is a video game that most of us played (somewhat becoming part of the game) as kids, it gave us a fantasy life and heroic story to reenact in our own heads and apply to our own lives, taking the lessons and morals the game is screaming at us.

In all honesty, I'd say that KH has influenced the way I treat my friends a little bit. As a kid I looked up to Sora and his will to do anything for his friends. He was my hero. Sob story: I didn't have many friends and was bullied a lot growing up. So playing KH was kind of my escape. so sad
tumblr_mmx1rxMvhs1rho9mqo1_500.gif

I actually met 2 of my oldest friends because of a common interest in Kingdom Hearts. In a world where hardly anyone showed me any kindness, I made it a point to do everything and anything I could do for the people that did show me kindness and considered me a friend. Did people use me because of this? Yes. Did I learn from that? Yes. Though I still make a point to treat my friends the best that I can and do what I can for them out of habit.

Do I think it unrealistic? Well life has taught me the fantasy situations these relationships are put in are indeed unrealistic. But the basic message isn't. You should love your (closest) friends unconditionally and help one another when they are down and out.

TheKelsblade

I think it sort of does, because honestly after playing all of the games, I evaluated my life, my friendships, and how I treat people in general.

For example, just yesterday, I was running errands with two of my husband's good friends. The night was perfect. We were in a truck, the windows down, breezy night.

For a second I felt like we were Riku, Kairi, and Sora .. or Xion, Roxas, and Axel. Actually, I think I sort of just imagined it that way since that's the kind of friendship/bond I long to have, but know that in my situation I'll probably never have that. That disheartens and actually saddens me a lot of the time.

So I'd say yes, in my opinion, I think it does set the standard of friendship a little unrealistic. To me, anyway, I think a lot of people (especially male/female friendships) are way too uptight these days and are afraid to get close to one-another in fear of it being "weird" or it being portrayed as more than a friendship.

Just my thinking.

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
I think that the japanese just have this super heightened idea of bonds and friendship in general. For example the idea of nakama in japanese culture sometimes even transcends the idea of family, or at least attribute to it the same level of kinship.

It isn't just Japan but really all of Asia. Asia itself is a collectivist culture, which means that people are taught that there is strength in friends and in a group rather than like in the US where self-independence is strongly advised and dependence on others for power (like Sora) is seen as weak.

Honestly, I don't think it's just KH, it's really, as an earlier post said, all of media. I mean, don't get me wrong, KH is bad, but at least every character has imperfections. In some Disney movies the characters are literally perfect. Like there is nothing inherently wrong with them (like Cinderella, Snow White, Aurora, etc.). However, just because nobody is really like those princesses though never stopped people from finding others they can love.

I think people just have to realize that everything has imperfections but at the same time, take some of the good aspects they see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back