• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Does anyone play nier? and why is a nier replicant trophy transphobic?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Somnus cealum

Awards
i need to know why people are saying that nier games are sexualized and that a nier replicant trophy is transphobic. which seems kinda weird and hurtful

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Kaine is intersex and is bullied about it. It’s also a source of insecurity for her. That alone is fine because it’s a part of her story and a lot of trans and intersex people feel attached to Kaine because of that. Kaine uses her clothes as a way to feel more feminine.

The problem is that Kaine’s clothes are just lingerie and the men who created designed her didn’t need to do that. There are pieces of concept art that have Kaine in more modest outfits, but it was the lingerie that ended up being what they put her in. The critique isn’t posed at Kaine but the people who created her.

Personally in terms of how I feel about it, I fall in the middle. I don’t like it because it was men who designed her with the male gaze in mind, but I also don’t mind it because I think she looks great in the outfit and it’s also a subversive because it makes certain cis hetero men uncomfortable once they realize she’s intersex and they have to confront their prejudices head-on.

The new problem here is that the devs have added in a trophy where you look up at Kaine’s underwear to “reveal” her “secret” which is demeaning to intersex people and to Kaine as a character who is already bullied in-game for being intersex. It also sexualizes and fetishizes her further and goes against the narrative of the game.

Soldier

Awards
i need to know why people are saying that nier games are sexualized and that a nier replicant trophy is transphobic. which seems kinda weird and hurtful
Considering how Yoko Taro (the developer of Nier) is a man who hides his face, recoiled into a closet to avoid backlash from one of his game's endings and that he made it a POINT to have 2B's rear perfect and requested fans to collect images of the android's booty and send them to him, is it really that surprising to you Cealum?

Somnus cealum

Awards
Kaine is intersex and is bullied about it. It’s also a source of insecurity for her. That alone is fine because it’s a part of her story and a lot of trans and intersex people feel attached to Kaine because of that. Kaine uses her clothes as a way to feel more feminine.

The problem is that Kaine’s clothes are just lingerie and the men who created designed her didn’t need to do that. There are pieces of concept art that have Kaine in more modest outfits, but it was the lingerie that ended up being what they put her in. The critique isn’t posed at Kaine but the people who created her.

Personally in terms of how I feel about it, I fall in the middle. I don’t like it because it was men who designed her with the male gaze in mind, but I also don’t mind it because I think she looks great in the outfit and it’s also a subversive because it makes certain cis hetero men uncomfortable once they realize she’s intersex and they have to confront their prejudices head-on.

The new problem here is that the devs have added in a trophy where you look up at Kaine’s underwear to “reveal” her “secret” which is demeaning to intersex people and to Kaine as a character who is already bullied in-game for being intersex. It also sexualizes and fetishizes her further and goes against the narrative of the game.
wow........ im speechless..

Somnus cealum

Awards
Considering how Yoko Taro (the developer of Nier) is a man who hides his face, recoiled into a closet to avoid backlash from one of his game's endings and that he made it a POINT to have 2B's rear perfect and requested fans to collect images of the android's booty and send them to him, is it really that surprising to you Cealum?
yes since i don't read up on the director since i thought he was a lil creepy. (pls no hate) and is he like closet lgbt or sum? is he like marshmello who hides his face. and i always wonder what is the reason why he hides his face.

Somnus cealum

Awards

my dumb self i had to look up what is intersex and i am still confused. is it like non binary(that is me btw) and gender fluid?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
my dumb self i had to look up what is intersex and i am still confused. is it like non binary(that is me btw) and gender fluid?
No, so it is people who are born with reproductive or sexual anatomy that goes against your standard male or female binary.

The variations are wide and varied which makes it hard to really explain in full detail without going into a bit of long detailed post. There can be somebody who might have all of the physical aspects of being female but may not have a vaginal opening, or somebody is born with an Adam’s Apple and also have breasts and a penis, or maybe they are functionally male but have no testicles. Some people might not even know they are intersex because there are no outward physical differences and it can all be purely genetic or only internal organ differences...

Some parents even have doctors do surgery on their children at birth to get rid of any physical features that go against the assigned sex of the child, which imo is cruel and erases choice for these individuals in the future, especially when they go through puberty.

And being intersex also introduces a varied look at gender expression.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Well not exactly, it's someone who is biologically somewhere between female and male. They can have sex characteristics of either sex. There are many ways people can be Intersex, the difference to Non-Binaries and Genderfuilds is that fact that it's more physical/external and less psychological/internal.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
Yoko Taro is indeed a strange man and through his games, seems to put his fetishes out in the open? Not that he says he's into such things, but sometimes it makes you wonder? He has varied characters but usually with the feminine presenting ones, he and his team just go overboard.

I'm pretty sure in Nier Automata, there was also a trophy for looking under 2B's dress long enough. They even have her character model kick the camera away if you "get caught". This Kaine one appears to be an extension of that, just worse.

I don't know Yoko Taro and based off his past work and statements, I can't say I believe he's being malicious, but at this point it's clear he's ignorant.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
yes since i don't read up on the director since i thought he was a lil creepy. (pls no hate) and is he like closet lgbt or sum? is he like marshmello who hides his face. and i always wonder what is the reason why he hides his face.

He can be creepy, but I think part of it is just him playing it up for the persona he’s put out there.

He didn’t used to hide his face, either. He was similar to Nomura in that he didn’t like having his face out there, and now it is near impossible to find any photos of him from presentations and events he’s done over the years prior to adopting the Emil head lol

I don’t think he’s in the closet? I wouldn’t be able to definitively say what his sexuality is.

Yoko Taro is indeed a strange man and through his games, seems to put his fetishes out in the open? Not that he says he's into such things, but sometimes it makes you wonder? He has varied characters but usually with the feminine presenting ones, he and his team just go overboard.

I'm pretty sure in Nier Automata, there was also a trophy for looking under 2B's dress long enough. They even have her character model kick the camera away if you "get caught". This Kaine one appears to be an extension of that, just worse.

I don't know Yoko Taro and based off his past work and statements, I can't say I believe he's being malicious, but at this point it's clear he's ignorant.

Yeah, he isn’t being malicious but I think he’s horny and unashamed about it too which is absolutely cool with me because his stories do have meaning, and like I mentioned earlier, he likes subverting expectations and making points about the depravity of humanity.

If I had to compare him to somebody, it would be Quentin Tarantino. Meaningful messages and stories that examine the nature of people but never condone the bad things they do, and also is horny for butts in Yoko Taro’s case and feet in Quentin Tarantino’s. Maybe Hideaki Anno would be a good one too?

There are limits, though, and plenty to be criticized.

Last edited:

Vulpes XIII

Awards
Just heard about this trophy and I think it horrible they would make a trophy like this. I hate trophies likes this in video games that encourages people to do perverted stuff and then get rewarded for it that’s just messed up in my opinion.

Why would someone think this is funny when it’s not. Kaine has been bullied for being Intersex and has made her feel insecure and having a trophy were you are literally looking up the characters skirt several times to stare at her penis comes across as insensitive. Especially when you consider there are people who are intersex in real life and may have experienced similar insecurity because of certain parts of their bodies and I can only imagine how uncomfortable a trophy like this might make them feel.

palizinhas

Awards
Yeah, Yoko Taro is like. Openly horny. I think he said at one point that part of the reason 2B's outfit is what it is because he just "likes women". At the end of the day I do think he's a good writer and his horniness isn't that big of an issue - at least as far as we know he's only over the top gross over fictional women, not real ones - but some of the weirder choices in his games are... Not Great.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Just heard about this trophy and I think it horrible they would make a trophy like this. I hate trophies likes this in video games that encourages people to do perverted stuff and then get rewarded for it that’s just messed up in my opinion.

Why would someone think this is funny when it’s not. Kaine has been bullied for being Intersex and has made her feel insecure and having a trophy were you are literally looking up the characters skirt several times to stare at her penis comes across as insensitive. Especially when you consider there are people who are intersex in real life and may have experienced similar insecurity because of certain parts of their bodies and I can only imagine how uncomfortable a trophy like this might make them feel.
Exactly. It’s cruel and it surprises me it made it through so many people. And it certainly had to pass Yoko Taro’s desk so unless he wasn’t paying attention, he must have seen it too.

I don’t think it was intentionally meant to be harmful and it comes from a place of ignorance, but it’s still upsetting and harmful to intersex people.

Soldier

Awards
Haven't heard of a trophy like this since Lollipop Chainsaw, where you are encouraged to look up the main character's skirt. That trophy will then linger on your trophy list, warning all who view it of your perverse act.

Somnus cealum

Awards
Well not exactly, it's someone who is biologically somewhere between female and male. They can have sex characteristics of either sex. There are many ways people can be Intersex, the difference to Non-Binaries and Genderfuilds is that fact that it's more physical/external and less psychological/internal.
Oh cool

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Haven't heard of a trophy like this since Lollipop Chainsaw, where you are encouraged to look up the main character's skirt. That trophy will then linger on your trophy list, warning all who view it of your perverse act.
I remember that vaguely. That's really bad considering she's a teenager...

NieR Automata has a trophy for looking up 2B dress. That is where this new trophy for NieR Replicant comes from. Also you can set her to self-destruct and all she'll be wearing is her leotard.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
That's why I roll my eyes when certain people are like "TRANSGENDERISM IS AGAINST NATURE". I don't think you know very much about nature, you don't even realize how silly you sound right now.

They didn't used to have problems with scifi and fantasy writing about scenarios where characters switched gender/sex/bodies with their super futuristic technology. But now that it's almost here, suddenly it's a problem and totally out of nowhere.

Willow A113

Awards
That's why I roll my eyes when certain people are like "TRANSGENDERISM IS AGAINST NATURE". I don't think you know very much about nature, you don't even realize how silly you sound right now.

They didn't used to have problems with scifi and fantasy writing about scenarios where characters switched gender/sex/bodies with their super futuristic technology. But now that it's almost here, suddenly it's a problem and totally out of nowhere.
*Giving my dad the latest iPhone* "Oh, it's futuristic like a sci-fi movie, so cool!"
"I'm trans"
"Shut up that's not real that's just in sci-fi movies!"

Idreamaboutcats

Awards
I can't believe we're talking about people being horny in a Disney video game forum.:LOL:

I have yet to download that game. I recently got a PS5, and honestly I have yet to christen it. It's clean, new, and I haven't played anything on it yet. I would've tried Balan Wonderworld but then the reviews came in so that got scrapped. I was planning to get this one but I don't want people thinking I'm into flipping skirts to peek at genitals.

I might change my mind though. Has anybody seen 2B and 9S yet?

Back