• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Does anybody else wish the portraits were still animated?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moose

Awards
I remember in the earlier trailers I didn't really mind that the portraits weren't 2D anymore because they were animated but now the 3D portraits are just still which is kind of a letdown. I heard someone say the reason they aren't animated anymore is because Unreal Engine doesn't allow them to be. Does anyone know if this is actually true or not?

Honestly this isn't even like a big feature or anything, but just the fact that I saw them before and now they're not there anymore makes me wish they still had them.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
It was a jarring change at first, but now that they've actually cleaned the models, I like it. And when you really think about it, it makes sense. A lot of Disney movies featured are going to be CG properties, so having those character as portraits hand drawn defeats their origin (and before anybody asks about Chicken Little, nobody cares about Chicken Little lol).

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
As long as it looks good it doesn't bother me :) Although that Aqua portrait from 0.2 looked trash, haha. Good thing Sora's portrait is already miles above that.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Portrait? Not getting what you mean.
These things.
h6t2baw.jpg

vangerme

Website
listography.com
Oh those things.
Yeah I prefer the 2d drawn ones, they had a neat and simple charm to them, and seeing more of Nomura's drawn art was nice.
These 3d ones look unsettling.

I think you mean a......SIMPLE AND CLEAN charm to them.

And tbh I do wish that it was still 2d artwork as well. I don't find the 3d very necessary. And I'm kind of glad they don't move anymore.

ac27

I think it's fine that they don't move. It might have been a little distracting from the main screen action.
However, I still will miss the 2D portraits - I love Nomura's illustrations. It would have been interesting seeing the new models as 2D artworks.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
Count me in as hating on the 3D portraits. It's just such a baffling change to make; 2D sprites have a charm and classiness to them which the 3D faces just don't capture. It may be a small joy, but it still stings when they zap it away for no good reason.

having those character as portraits hand drawn defeats their origin
So was it unacceptable to you that the originally 2D Disney characters in previous games were rendered as 3D models?

Lingering Will

Awards
So was it unacceptable to you that the originally 2D Disney characters in previous games were rendered as 3D models?

Ooo, shots fired.

But for real though, I honestly don't mind what the portraits look like, as long as the game they're in delivers good fun and all that jazz. I will admit that I prefer the 2D portraits, a personal thing I like. I always found it cool to see 3D animated characters drawn and colored in a 2D manner.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
give us the option to switch between 3D and 2D portraits in the settings menu, or at least make the 3D portraits animated to react realtime to whats happening to the characters so they feel alive (for example, sora panting when he's out of MP/stamina, looking injured and breathing heavily when low on health, ill when poison, frozen solid when, uh, frozen solid, etc)

Nukara

Awards
In my opinion, 3D portraits are the latest that should worry about KH3.

FangirlfromHell

Awards
I think it's fine that they don't move. It might have been a little distracting from the main screen action.
However, I still will miss the 2D portraits - I love Nomura's illustrations. It would have been interesting seeing the new models as 2D artworks.

I definitely like the 2D Status Bars better. I didn't like the CG ones in 0.2. I enjoy seeing Nomura's artwork and the charm of 2D portraits was that they didn't distract from the game, they made it easy to see the status bars because they didn't blend into the rest of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back