• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Does any one feel anxious/embarrassed when you buy comics etc.. from a store?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
So this might kinda of goofy topic, but I got curious and decided to see if anyone else feels the same. Most of the time when I go to a store to buy comics/manga etc.. I get rather anxious. I feel like folks are staring at me or something, while that mostly likely is not the case. Like yesterday when I was buying the new Attack on Titan volume, I started to think people surrounding me thought stuff like:"there that lad goes again, buying those childish things." I quickly wanted to exit the store.
Not sure if that is partially because I live in a very small town where everybody knows each other, and my parents comment(in mostly a joke-tone, but it bothers me a little bit) when I buy manga: "did you buy one of those little fairy tale books again?"

This is not a serious issue or anything, but I was curious if anyone else feels the same?

Last edited:

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
So this might kinda of goofy topic, but I got curious and decided to see if anyone else feels the same. Most of the time when I go to a store to buy comics/manga etc.. I get rather anxious. I feel like folks are staring at me or something, while that mostly likely is not the case. Like yesterday when I was buying the new Attack on Titan volume, I started to think people surrounding me thought stuff like:"there that lad goes again, buying those childish things." I quickly wanted to exit the store.
Not sure if that is partially because I live in a very small town where everybody knows each other, and my parents comment(in mostly a joke-tone, but it bothers me a little bit) when I buy manga: "did you buy one of those little fairy tale books again?"

This is not a serious issue or anything, but I was curious if anyone else feels the same?

Sort of, heck I feel embarrassed when I check out manga from the library.

DarkGrey Heroine

How much closer could I be?
Awards
Me too, as I live in Romania where people call anime "cartoons for little children", sometimes I am even afraid to mention that I love them, anime and manga in general. I don't have the problem with the stores though because in Romania you have 1% chance of finding stores with animanga products of any kind (UNFORTUNATELY)
People, adults in general, but also teens and young adults don't view animanga in favorable light. I come from a village that would be shocked to hear that I, former vale-dictorian and now at art uni, is into anime & manga. They wouldn't want to believe it and I feel sad and embarrassed about it, yet I will not stop being honest to them and to myself and clearly state my passions.
Sometimes I have the feeling of not wanting to show my art to anyone, be it teachers, parents or friends, even if it's a realisti drawing as I am totally capable of that. I don't want to show them because I am afraid they would say "this looks like those kid cartoons!" and nothing hurts me more than people saying that when it was clearly not my intention to draw/copy anime/manga style.
Perhaps this will be a bit off-topic but when I think about this, lyrics from a Queens of the Stone Age song come into my mind... " Scared to say what is your passion/ So slag it all, bitter's in fashion,/ Fear of failure's all you've started,/ The jury is in, verdict: Retarded " yet... we need to remain true to ourselves and not hide or feel bad for what we like, we know the quality of the things we consume, while the others should learn to be more open and how to pick their words in order not to be asses and discourage us or make us feel low or guilty

anime and manga 4 LYFE, heck

Recon

Art of War
Awards
Hell, at such an old age, I find myself embarrassed just for walking into a GameStop. It's just insecurity. Never let people put you down for your interests. Do you; always.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
I used to. Then I remembered just how little I care about others' opinions. Live your nerdy life with pride~

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Not at all.
I know many people at the book store see me as the "weird nerd" when I stand in front of them in line with manga in my hands.
But you know what? I get so fucking hyped and happy about the manga themselves that I couldn't give any less shits about others finding me weird.
Same goes for video games tbh. Cashiers even smile at me like "Wow, you sure look happy" and I'm just like "YEEEES I SO WANT TO PLAY THIS GAME."
What do I care about the people who begrudge me my love for manga or games when I can instead care about those who enjoy my happiness along with me?

Chuuya

scared of any fandom I'm part of
Awards
I can feel like that sometimes. Everytime I went to school I feel people are like that, most cases it is. Also trust me, my mother calls Kingdom Hearts, "Kingdom of Hearts" EVERYTIME. Also, my parents gave me the nickname, "Bubbles" since I was born and they call me that out loud in public. I always get embarrassed. Er-... I said too much......

Awards
Well, for comics, I walk into a comic store proudly and get as much comic stuff as I can.

For anime and manga, THAT is where the embarrassment comes in. I watch anime at low volumes, I hide manga, I delete my On Demand watch history whenever there's an anime on it simply because I'm afraid someone will see. Sometimes I wish I didn't have this embarrassment. It was crazy when my Xbox 360 background was an anime picture and when my sister signed in to my profile, I covered the screen quickly and started making crazy noises to distract her.

lychee

Even though i'm a very shy and anxious person in general, I was pretty young when i bought my first manga, so i never had any idea that they were considered "nerdy", thus i never had any problems. I was blissfully unaware. I can understand why it would cause you anxiety, though,

But you know what, pal? There's always going to be someone who is going to berate or judge your choices, no matter what you do or like. So might as well not pay any attention and do the things that make you happy.

Chuuya

scared of any fandom I'm part of
Awards
@KeybladeLordSora; I know that feeling. Whenever I'm watching an anime, if anyone comes in my room, I turn off the screen. And one time I had a PS3 background of my fav anime Inuyasha. When I went to turn it on, my brother came in my room and saw it. He had a sneaky little smirk and then he left. =T_T=

halfmango

Awards
I too used to 'feel' the looks of other people, but I kinda got used to it. Now I'm like 'go ahead, call me an otaku'.
Though I still feel embarassed in front of my families. It's a bit weird playing games or reading comics in front of them, even though I know they don't mind.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
Yeah. We should feel confident and happy about the things we like, no to be shamed of them. :)

I don`t feel anxious when I buy videogame`s which is interesting. Maybe it`s because I usually get them from a gaming store or buy them online. I guess it also helps that gaming culture is also more and more mainstream now.

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
Me too, as I live in Romania where people call anime "cartoons for little children", sometimes I am even afraid to mention that I love them, anime and manga in general. I don't have the problem with the stores though because in Romania you have 1% chance of finding stores with animanga products of any kind (UNFORTUNATELY)
People, adults in general, but also teens and young adults don't view animanga in favorable light. I come from a village that would be shocked to hear that I, former vale-dictorian and now at art uni, is into anime & manga. They wouldn't want to believe it and I feel sad and embarrassed about it, yet I will not stop being honest to them and to myself and clearly state my passions.
Sometimes I have the feeling of not wanting to show my art to anyone, be it teachers, parents or friends, even if it's a realisti drawing as I am totally capable of that. I don't want to show them because I am afraid they would say "this looks like those kid cartoons!" and nothing hurts me more than people saying that when it was clearly not my intention to draw/copy anime/manga style.
Perhaps this will be a bit off-topic but when I think about this, lyrics from a Queens of the Stone Age song come into my mind... " Scared to say what is your passion/ So slag it all, bitter's in fashion,/ Fear of failure's all you've started,/ The jury is in, verdict: Retarded " yet... we need to remain true to ourselves and not hide or feel bad for what we like, we know the quality of the things we consume, while the others should learn to be more open and how to pick their words in order not to be asses and discourage us or make us feel low or guilty

anime and manga 4 LYFE, heck

It sounds like they don't know the difference between the artwork of an amateur and a person that goes to art school to learn how to draw anime and other art styles.

Last edited:

Datomix

Awards
Website
s14.invisionfree.com
I live in such a small town that we don't even have a comic store ;-;

I'm naturally an anxious person, so I'm kinda used to having that feeling all the time though. Doesn't bother me as much as it used to but meh.

Mostly though, the closest that comes to what you're describing these days is whenever I go out and play Pokemon Go. I think it's all in my head though, I've only had a couple of people accusing me of "joining the bandwagon/playing a fad kids game", while most people are playing it themselves. I've actually met more people playing that since the release then I have by myself in years. So don't be anxious, you may even find a friend there who loves comics too!

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
I live in such a small town that we don't even have a comic store ;-;

I'm naturally an anxious person, so I'm kinda used to having that feeling all the time though. Doesn't bother me as much as it used to but meh.

Mostly though, the closest that comes to what you're describing these days is whenever I go out and play Pokemon Go. I think it's all in my head though, I've only had a couple of people accusing me of "joining the bandwagon/playing a fad kids game", while most people are playing it themselves. I've actually met more people playing that since the release then I have by myself in years. So don't be anxious, you may even find a friend there who loves comics too!

Can you read comics online?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back