• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Does alcohol change you, or show who you really are?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Datomix

Awards
Website
s14.invisionfree.com
First of all, sorry if this has been posted, but I haven't seen any threads that cover this topic, recently, at any rate.

Some say that alcohol makes you a different person when intoxicated. Others say it breaks the "filter" constructed by society and shows who you really are.

Personally, I believe in the latter. When you're drunk, you just simply don't care how people perceive you. You let down your defense simply because you don't have a care in the world.

I am quite interested in how others feel about this subject.

What are your thoughts?

(Please, just keep it civil. I'm not asking your thoughts on alcohol itself, or illegal drinking etc, I just want opinions on this particular subject of how it affects you.)

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
I believe the "filter" is part of who you are. Part of your personality is upbringing and subconscious, sure, but you can always break away from habits. It's your choices that define you the most. You can know something is bad or unnacceptable in some fashion but still chose to do so. I believe it doesn't really show you who you are, but who you would be when your ability to think clearly about your choices is impaired. :3

LongLiveLife

Bronze Member
Any psychoactive substance by definition makes you a different person to who you are without it. But I suppose, as mangartist said, how you react to said psychoactive substance is an integral part of who you are...

krexia

Translator
Awards
It's your choices that define you the most.
Yeah, this. We can't choose much about the way we think, but we can choose how to act on our thoughts, and that defines who we are. Alcohol impairs your ability to choose.

Faris

Perfect Harmony
I really like the whole alcohol shows your true colours argument. Essentially, scientifically, no. And I mean that in terms of Personality change, not increases in dopamine etc etc. But though I don't think it really changes personality, the lack of inhibitions is pretty exciting.

The Conquerer

The Bloody Warrior
Awards
Your thoughts become your actions...lol But in all seriousness, I get less restrained, typically, forcing me to focus on controlling my actions more.

Xiao

serious at least all of the time
Awards
As for me, I feel like I'm just as crazy and I laugh just as much when I'm drunk and when I'm not. I'm just a little less coordinated, and the same goes for the people I drink with. I'm pretty comfortable in my own skin, so drinking is just a good time and in no way a personality-altering thing :).

If someone acts like a completely different person when they're smashed, I think it means that as a person, they're hiding a lot/trying to be someone they're not. So in that way, I guess yeah, it definitely can show you who you really are. I don't believe it actually changes you whatsoever, strictly speaking.

I had a discussion like this recently with a friend on the topic that being drunk is never an excuse for something you do. If you sleep with someone of the same sex when you're drunk, you can't blame it on the alcohol. There's something in your sober self that needs attention.

vivi_07

As for me, I feel like I'm just as crazy and I laugh just as much when I'm drunk and when I'm not. I'm just a little less coordinated, and the same goes for the people I drink with. I'm pretty comfortable in my own skin, so drinking is just a good time and in no way a personality-altering thing :).

Yeah same here. When I drink i'm actually more outgoing and socialize with people more. Next thing you know there my friends the next day. I'm known as the happy drunk in my crowd of people. I think alcohol sometimes shows a persons true color or it lets them loosen up. They reveal to you their deepest secrets because they don't really care or think about it as much. You really don't think about what your doing and you just do it.
But I think alcohol plays a different role in everyone, someone might overly over exaggerate of who they are. I have a friend who drinks but when she does um excuse my language she calls herself a slut and does all these dirty things. Sometimes when she says these things I don't believe her, I think it's for attention but then agin who knows. It varies on people.

ChaoticHeart

Wandering aimlessly through the blind eternities..
Alcohol makes me AWESOME! Well more awesome than I already am :p

Seriously though it depends on the person, I myself am a bit reserved, my friends still think I'm a bit of a psycho, but when I'm langs l find it much easier to talk to people, and become a lot more flirty.
I don't see many changes in my friends when we're drinking, besides finding things funnier than usual, and just laughing at peoples messyness.

vivi_07

Alcohol makes me AWESOME! Well more awesome than I already am :p l find it much easier to talk to people, and become a lot more flirty.
I don't see many changes in my friends when we're drinking, besides finding things funnier than usual, and just laughing at peoples messyness.

Yeah same here I flirt with guys a lot more, and when my friends are drunk they tend to fall a lot. Making ot su much funner! XD

Silverslide

need some more candy cane
I'm not going to throw science at you, but from what I've seen it alters you're personality. When I'm with people who're drunking they become way more "outgoing" for lack of a better word, some totally shut down, some just get angry.

Xiao

Awards
I'm not going to throw science at you, but from what I've seen it alters you're personality. When I'm with people who're drunking they become way more "outgoing" for lack of a better word, some totally shut down, some just get angry.

I would say that that is describing alcohol changing how you act, not alcohol changing your personal makeup, know what I mean?

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Honestly, I would like to think that mental impairment isn't required to reach my "true personality" :/

Silverslide

need some more candy cane
I would say that that is describing alcohol changing how you act, not alcohol changing your personal makeup, know what I mean?

how someone acts has nothing to do with their personality?

Awards
Alcohol makes me nice. Really, really nice. Almost motherly. The drunk guy who wants to make sure everybody is okay, is telling everybody how much he loves them and values their friendship, insists on giving you $20 in change before you drive home "just in case you run out of gas" -- yeah that's me.

For this reason I've often thought about this question myself.

Xiao

Awards
how someone acts has nothing to do with their personality?
Course not, not what I meant at all. People do things all the time that they normally wouldn't do. Exceptionally honest people still lie sometimes, but alcohol wouldn't make them suddenly more dishonest than honest. Not the best example but I'm just trying to explain my point.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
So last night, me and my co-workers went to a bar (a temp went away after half a year). They became looser, yes, but generally still acted the same way. The reason people aren't looser like that has only to do with alcohol muddling your head.
I don't drink much, never really felt much for it. But of course they kept asking (I'm Belgian, so not drinking means I'm the disgrace of the country) so I told them a story (while I kept this thread in the back of my head)
A couple of years ago was one of the few times I got smashed (it was also the final time). It was winter and I pretty much woke up in a park in the snow. I was only wearing my underwear (still had my wallet and cell phone though) and had a balloon tied to my arm with Homer Simpson's head drawn on it (by me, I sign everything I draw) and the word "drinking buddy". Around me on the ground there were several exploded lighters. After ten minutes my friends drove up to me exclaiming "there you are!" We later discovered I wasn't welcome anymore in an eatery we sometimes went to and still aren't.

We never found the rest of my clothes and to this day neither me nor my friends can remember (or at least they're not telling) what I exactly did, why I did it or how I ended up over 5,5 miles from the point where we started the night before. Or why one of my friends was tied to a lanternpost somewhere in the area inbetween.

To me that's not a sign of acting your true self. To me that's a sign of not knowing when (or for that matter: where ) to bonking quit thinking everything you come up with is "a good idea". (the only explanation I've been able to come up with) Before you ask, drugs were not involved. We didn't do that.

Honestly, I would like to think that mental impairment isn't required to reach my "true personality" :/

Couldn't agree more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back