• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

TV ► Do you watch South Park?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

AegisXIII

Awards
I just wanted to start this thread to talk about this show. I used to think it was a show for old kids with fart jokes that tries to offend as many people as it could.
But after watching all of the seasons in just 3 months, I realize now how wrong I was. Sure there is a lot of fart jokes, but I was surprised to discover that this is also an amazing criticism on our society. They always manage to put their fingers on the most sensitive topics and treat them in a smart way, by not taking side and criticizing everyone.
Not to mention, characters are pretty funny and have distinct personalities.

What are your thoughts on this show? Are you excited for the one hour pandemic special coming this week?

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Yes. I’ve watched since I was in elementary school in the ‘90s. I was thinking the other day how weird it is a show I watch has been on since Bill Clinton was president, lol. I never watched The Simpsons, which has been on even longer, for example.

I still love the show although it has its misses. Most of those early episodes--even though the show feels so different now than when it started--are still hilarious to me. Definitely looking forward to tomorrow's premiere.

AegisXIII

Awards
Can a 13-year-old watch South Park? thanks in advance.

I guess at this age, people will only get the poop jokes. Last seasons have gotten more political and might not be as fun to watch unless you understand the social issues that are mentioned.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I started watching South Park when I was in 4th Grade, despite my parents not wanting me to. I remember sneaking down at night and turning to Comedy Central when it would come on.

I watch it on and off these days, because like @Tartarus said it's a hit or miss show. It's a show that offends everyone and goes that extra mile because it's South Park. Whenever I'm in a very foul mood I'll watch a episode just to cheer me up.

Soldier

Awards
No, and if I'm being honest, I'd rather stare at the sun than watch it.
Unpopular opinion i know, but hear me out. South Park is a show that goes out of its way to offend. If we were to come into contact with intelligent life from another planet, and the first thing they saw from our society was this show, what do you think they'd think of us? It's heavy usage of adult situations and bad messages (plus the fact that it is by in large a cartoon) makes it easily approachable to a much younger demographic. This is a show that breeds ignorance and lacks heart. If you want an adult show that actually has a better handle on American satire and uses it respectably, watch The Simpsons. If you want to support an empire of indecency, watch South Park.

AegisXIII

Awards
No, and if I'm being honest, I'd rather stare at the sun than watch it.
Unpopular opinion i know, but hear me out. South Park is a show that goes out of its way to offend. If we were to come into contact with intelligent life from another planet, and the first thing they saw from our society was this show, what do you think they'd think of us? It's heavy usage of adult situations and bad messages (plus the fact that it is by in large a cartoon) makes it easily approachable to a much younger demographic. This is a show that breeds ignorance and lacks heart. If you want an adult show that actually has a better handle on American satire and uses it respectably, watch The Simpsons. If you want to support an empire of indecency, watch South Park.
I am not sure to understand your point and I really would like to know more. What do you mean by ignorance and bad message? They usually take two sides of a society topic and push both of them to their extreme absurdity to make us challenge our own opinion and add nuance to it (which is weird because the plot never seems nuanced at all at first). If anything, that's the kind of messages we all need right now, no?

Soldier

Awards
I am not sure to understand your point and I really would like to know more. What do you mean by ignorance and bad message? They usually take two sides of a society topic and push both of them to their extreme absurdity to make us challenge our own opinion and add nuance to it (which is weird because the plot never seems nuanced at all at first). If anything, that's the kind of messages we all need right now, no?

All the show does (at least in my eyes) is try and push the boundary of being offensive to the nth degree, and nearly succeeds in every category. Remember Steve Irwin the crocodile hunter? South Park does! in the episode "Hell on Earth 2006" they depict the man with a stingray barb in his chest (which was how the man died in real life if you didn't know). If you were a child and you saw that thinking its funny, how do you think society would react? Or how about the time they planned to depict the Islamic prophet Muhammad, nearly sparking a terrorist threat in the process all for the sake of comedy. Even though the Simpsons has had it's fair share of controversial episodes, NONE of them have crossed the line this far.

Also, a bit unrelated to the topic, but I can never look at South Park and think of all the people i've encountered in real life that raved about the show. Both people in question don't represent the fanbase as a whole (at least I HOPE NOT) but if they did, whoo boy would the world be screwed. One of them was a fellow student in my INQ class, who insisted EVERY class that we should watch the South Park movie, in a college class our freshman year. Either this guy failed to comprehend his position at that moment on a daily basis, or just wanted to slack off and watch his favorite movie for the 12th time.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
South Park was more intentionally gross when it first started than it is now. I actually think the show is very clever with its satire (more often than not). I'm not going to knock The Simpsons. At worst, I find it boring most of the time, and could only watch an episode or two at a time. I always found Homer and Bart annoying.. Family Guy, on the other hand.... That's trash. Not saying it's bad just for casual viewing or anything. I'll admit Stewie is pretty funny and it does make me laugh occasionally, but there's no meaning to the show's storyline besides going for the cheap joke.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
Ahhh, the age old Simpsons vs. South Park feud. For the most part, you can't talk about SP without mentioning how much of a failure it is compared to its father. Seriously though, it always get brought up. Is it because they're both satire expressed via animation? It's like saying there should be no more than one sitcom, dramas, etc. at any given moment. I mean, Simpsons may be a golden standard for entertainment in general, but.. so what. I don't think Trey and Matt are looking for validation.

I've heard South Park is too crass (because Cartman, specifically, is the spawn of the devil), but it has it's moments even through jaded lenses. It's not something I go out of my way to view, though.

If we were to come into contact with intelligent life from another planet, and the first thing they saw from our society was this show, what do you think they'd think of us? It's heavy usage of adult situations and bad messages (plus the fact that it is by in large a cartoon) makes it easily approachable to a much younger demographic.

We've been sending messages; it wouldn't be. I won't delve into your moral stance on the show, but other lifeforms would hopefully see how foolish, philistine parents are mis-assigning (and disrespecting) a medium of art to a children's thing.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I'm a fan of the Simpsons, at least the first 12-13 seasons, and I also enjoyed Futurama when it was on too. However Family Guy was the only one I didn't like. I don't know what it is, but I don't like anything from that show. Not the humor, not the characters, not their designs, nothing. I use to think that was a highly unpopular opinion, but have met a few who also don't like Family Guy.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
I watched it on and off when I was a kid. I didn't really like it though, I guess the humor and the presentation isn't for me. I'm not offended by it, I just don't care. I didn't realize how popular it was until a few years ago, I honestly didn't know people liked it that much. Lol

AegisXIII

Awards
All the show does (at least in my eyes) is try and push the boundary of being offensive to the nth degree, and nearly succeeds in every category. Remember Steve Irwin the crocodile hunter? South Park does! in the episode "Hell on Earth 2006" they depict the man with a stingray barb in his chest (which was how the man died in real life if you didn't know). If you were a child and you saw that thinking its funny, how do you think society would react? Or how about the time they planned to depict the Islamic prophet Muhammad, nearly sparking a terrorist threat in the process all for the sake of comedy. Even though the Simpsons has had it's fair share of controversial episodes, NONE of them have crossed the line this far.

Also, a bit unrelated to the topic, but I can never look at South Park and think of all the people i've encountered in real life that raved about the show. Both people in question don't represent the fanbase as a whole (at least I HOPE NOT) but if they did, whoo boy would the world be screwed. One of them was a fellow student in my INQ class, who insisted EVERY class that we should watch the South Park movie, in a college class our freshman year. Either this guy failed to comprehend his position at that moment on a daily basis, or just wanted to slack off and watch his favorite movie for the 12th time.
Okay I see what you mean. When you say "crossing the line", I rather see it as putting us in front of our contradictions as a society, but I understand that sometimes they go very far. Although it is important to mention that there are two eras in the show, at least in my opinion. Right now they are trying to be less offensive then at the beginning and are more subtle with there approach.

And of course, every popular show has its toxic fanbase. But we should look passed that. Otherwise, KH is in a bad situation too. 😆

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I only ever watched South Park from the 2016 episodes or whenever they started using Caitlyn Jenner and that guy as a substitute for Trump (Mr. Garrison I think?) and PC Principal. I never saw any of the episodes before that and I don't care to. I'm not saying I watch religiously or anything, but I do find their coverage of topics interesting. I can't comment on earlier episodes, but I didn't see that many fart jokes or bathroom humour in the episodes I watched, which were the most recent ones.

Some episodes didn't really land for me, but the thing I really enjoy is that it seems the episodes are made within a week or two, so they can really comment on recent events. Rather than other shows (especially animated ones) being in production months or a year later covering a "recent event".

Family Guy I watch when I need background noise or just something stupid to watch. There's something about the way Seth MacFarlane seems to point out things that we, as people, actually do (little things) and acknowledge it in a funny way. Like I remember one time a character sneezed and was like "I'm just going to put my hands in my pocket to wipe my hands so no one will notice" or Lois walked out of the bathroom and was like "Well I just finished doing whatever women do in the bathroom for an hour before bed".

PrettyGuard

Awards
Watched it a few years back. I'm surprised it's first aired was back in 1997 and still, it's airing new episodes until the present. 😱

InformaKid

Awards
I've watched the whole show twice and played all of its games :D It's my best way to get in the mood when I feel bad or just bored since I love the dark humor. My other favorite shows are Family Guy and Brickleberry. Highly recommend you to pay attention to them if you can't wait for new episodes of South Park.

AegisXIII

Awards
Did you guys watch the vaccination special? I thought it was genius.
Butters with the flag. The explanation as how conspiracy theories are fueled. Garison back from his little "phase". The two reporters constantly fighting over their biases. 😂
Everything was perfect.
And they finally acknowledge that none of the boys are doing simple funny adventures like the good old times. I felt the show was back to its roots. They managed to found a better balance with their political comment and the children narrative arc in my opinion. Maybe one hour specials is what south park needs.

PrettyGuard

Awards
Did you guys watch the vaccination special? I thought it was genius.
Butters with the flag. The explanation as how conspiracy theories are fueled. Garison back from his little "phase". The two reporters constantly fighting over their biases. 😂
Everything was perfect.
And they finally acknowledge that none of the boys are doing simple funny adventures like the good old times. I felt the show was back to its roots. They managed to found a better balance with their political comment and the children narrative arc in my opinion. Maybe one hour specials is what south park needs.
Haha, I gave that one a try and my favorite line there was: "Do you know what pedophilia is? Here, let me show you.'

Super funny! :ROFLMAO:

Back