Don't forget that the melody of memory team recreated old graphics style using unity. Now that the work is done, remaking days and re:coded would take them 1 year max per game. Not to mention that on their website we can see job offers for 3d character animation artists, so it is not so impossible for them to be working on that.
This would have two advantages:
1. not delay the main team who is working on the next big entry
2. regularly release something until the next game is ready
3. it's a good excuse to make us buy a ps5 compilation dlc (like intergrade for FF7)
It is really not impossible. Just wait and see. 👀
That's assuming it's just a straight remake with only the graphics changing. I would prefer a top to bottom reimagining.
1. Revise the correlation between Story Mode & Mission Mode. As it currently stands, every mission in MM has to first be beaten in SM. This negatively affects both modes: SM is too long/padded, while MM has no content the player hasn't already experienced. It might be better if SM had 58 playable days while MM covers the other 300.
2. More Disney involvement/bosses. Seriously the only Disney bosses are Pete & the 3 Halloween kids. Give me Gaston, Hook, & Hades at the very least. & how is it that Peter Pan doesn't show up in his own world?
3. New days where we play as guys besides Roxas. Let us see what Xemnas & Xigbar get up to.
4. Overhaul magic/leveling/rebalance characters. The panels system sucks, just let me level up normally without having to sacrifice items/abilities for it. & limiting how many spell casts a player can even have cripples the magic heavy characters compared to attack heavy characters. Some characters are just harder to work with than others, ever tried beating Anti-Riku with Zexion or Donald? It ain't pleasant.
5. Alternate costumes/new characters. Let's add Kairi & TAV as new characters because why not? Everybody in Org13 by this point has at least 1 other outfit (except Demyx I guess) so let's add them as unlocks.
6. Bigger maps/battles. I guess they could use the same maps & all, but it be nice if they remade the worlds to better suit newer hardware. I would like to visit Belle's hometown & Christmas Town for example.
7. Online & offline multiplayer. Online should be a given but splitscreen should be included as well.
8. Nobody summons. Org members should be able to call on nobodies to fight alongside them. Sora & other unlockable characters could have Dream Eaters.