• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Do you think their names will change?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Castaras

Ok, if Roxas (confirmed), Namine and Xion return in 3, and when they become their own people, should their names change too?

Muke

whatever
Awards
Yeah, there's no reason for their names to changes. Axel's name changed 'cause he actually became a Somebody again, specifically Lea. Lea was his real name, so that made sense.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I seriously doubt their names will change. The only way I can see a possible name change is by Roxas or Xion, because they were given that name and never had the opportunity to pick their own. But I don't want that as I love their names.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
I seriously doubt their names will change. The only way I can see a possible name change is by Roxas or Xion, because they were given that name and never had the opportunity to pick their own. But I don't want that as I love their names.

Uhm...I mean, no one does? I'm pretty sure Sora didn't pick his own name himself either.

So no, I don't think there's any reason for their names to change.

Ven_Roxas

Awards
They worked so hard to become their own people with their own identity, to change their names would be counter productive and almost restart the process of creating their own identities. It's comparable to how Brendon Urie is the only member of Panic! At the Disco, yet still keep the band name because it already has an identity. He doesn't want to have to restart and make a new name for himself by using his name. Same basic idea

UmbraTsuki

Awards
I'm just thinking of like, if they all changed their names the way Nobodies like Axel did when they became Somebodies, we'd have two Soras running around, Naminé wouldn't have a name really, and Xion would be "No. i"...

Anyway yeah I agree with the general consensus here that there wouldn't be much reason for them to change their names.

Also this actually reminds me of the KHO concert where Xion actually says Roxas made her feel human/like she had a heart the first time he said her name, so with it having that much importance to her, I absolutely can't see her changing her name. Roxas is also very adamant about being Roxas, so like... Basically everything Ven_Roxas just said. It would be counterproductive to change.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
I think what EeL meant is that it was Xemnas who gave Roxas and Xion their names, meaning other than the issue of them bearing a constant Recusant's Sigil, there could be a bunch of psychological factors related to it.

Not gonna lie, I don't think they will (and Xion is a really cute name imo), but it's not that absurd that they could. At least not storywise.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I think what EeL meant is that it was Xemnas who gave Roxas and Xion their names, meaning other than the issue of them bearing a constant Recusant's Sigil, there could be a bunch of psychological factors related to it.

Not gonna lie, I don't think they will (and Xion is a really cute name imo), but it's not that absurd that they could. At least not storywise.

While it was indeed Xemnas that gave them their names, that doesn't have to mean these names are suddenly "tainted" or something.
On the contrary, claiming these names for themselves and only associating them with their positive notions (like confirming them as their own people as UmbraTsuki mentioned about Xion) can be actually really empowering and giving a figurative middle-finger to Xemnas and Xehanort.

Like saying that yes, Xemnas, you gave me the name "Xion" but it doesn't hold the meaning and purpose you intended for it to have. It is my name, the description of my existence any people like Lea, Roxas, Sora and the others calling me by this name confirm that I exist (just like Joshua explained in DDD, someone starts to exist once someone else acknowledges them and they themselves acknowledge their own existence too).
This is also why Xemnas' "was never supposed to be exist"-blabbering is, despite true at point value, complete bullshit as it doesn't say anything about an existences "right" to exist once it developed into something of its own.
If there is a possibility that allows Roxas' newly grown heart (which is his own and full of his own memories) to exist as an independent entity which doesn't impact Sora or Ventus negatively in any way, it doesn't matter if he (and Xion and Naminé too) were "never supposed to exist", they deserve a chance at it.

As for the Recusant's Sigil, I've come to the impression that people vastly overestimate its potency and make it almost like an omniscent thing which allows Xehanort to track everyone and everything. So far we only know of physical iterations of the Sigil and even with this it is not confirmed anywhere that every X-shaped form shown in the series is automatically an active Recusant's Sigil, so an x being part of their names doesn't mean that its actually an active Sigil that can be used against them.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
While it was indeed Xemnas that gave them their names, that doesn't have to mean these names are suddenly "tainted" or something.
On the contrary, claiming these names for themselves and only associating them with their positive notions (like confirming them as their own people as UmbraTsuki mentioned about Xion) can be actually really empowering and giving a figurative middle-finger to Xemnas and Xehanort.

It doesn't have to, but it's a possible interpretation.
Kingdom Hearts put a lot of stress onto names and their meaning, and usually names chosen to represent what you are and not who you are (DiZ, Ansem for Riku), are put in a bad light. "Roxas" and "Xion" can be seen as part of the themes "Roxas is just Sora" and "Xion is a puppet", with a notorious negative connotation to them.
Again, I'll be the first one to be surprised if a name change does happen and I don't feel like we need it. But I feel both readings (names being negative vs names being a middle finger to Xemnas) are possible.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
It doesn't have to, but it's a possible interpretation.
Kingdom Hearts put a lot of stress onto names and their meaning, and usually names chosen to represent what you are and not who you are (DiZ, Ansem for Riku), are put in a bad light. "Roxas" and "Xion" can be seen as part of the themes "Roxas is just Sora" and "Xion is a puppet", with a notorious negative connotation to them.
Again, I'll be the first one to be surprised if a name change does happen and I don't feel like we need it. But I feel both readings (names being negative vs names being a middle finger to Xemnas) are possible.

Ah yes, of course.
This reading certainly makes a high degree of sense and from that viewpoint I can see the source of the concern.

There is a difference though, as "DiZ" and "Ansem" were names who Ansem the Wise and Riku gave to themselves, they weren't granted upon by someone else and it was done deliberately to distance themselves from their "true" identity.
With Roxas, Xion and Naminé though, these names are their true identity.
In KH 2 Roxas is asked the question "do you know your true name" with the expected answer being "Sora" by those who argue he doesn't really exist or doesn't deserve to exist, but the actual answer is "my true name is Roxas" since that's who he truly is in the end.
Both readings are certainly possible, but I do not feel that them changing their names would add anything meaningful to the story, on the contrary it could even damage it since their struggle to become their own people also includes these names.

Generally going just by the hypothetical scenario though, to what should/could they possibly change their names anyways?

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
There is a difference though, as "DiZ" and "Ansem" were names who Ansem the Wise and Riku gave to themselves, they weren't granted upon by someone else and it was done deliberately to distance themselves from their "true" identity.
With Roxas, Xion and Naminé though, these names are their true identity.
In KH 2 Roxas is asked the question "do you know your true name" with the expected answer being "Sora" by those who argue he doesn't really exist or doesn't deserve to exist, but the actual answer is "my true name is Roxas" since that's who he truly is in the end.

Mh, that is true, there's a core difference in how the names were given.

Both readings are certainly possible, but I do not feel that them changing their names would add anything meaningful to the story, on the contrary it could even damage it since their struggle to become their own people also includes these names.

Generally going just by the hypothetical scenario though, to what should/could they possibly change their names anyways?

Same, in the end. It's fun to debate what meaning the names have, but as far as new ones, I feel there aren't even clues for a new one (unless we do a Metal Gear and just pick a normal one)
Because you should change literally every letter or the main issue about them being shadows of another remains.

Ven_Roxas

Awards
I say Roxas goes by "Osar" and Xion goes by "Ino". Naminé coul be Sally. Haha. Just wanting to be normal. But really... I have no clue what their names could be

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back