• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Do you think that the Kingdom Hearts series will end up going downhill someday?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

SquareDisney

As much as I love the Kingdom Hearts series, I have a feeling that after Kingdom Hearts III and the "Dark Seeker Saga" is complete that the series is going to start getting weaker. It almost happens all the time with franchises.

Jump to: navigation, search

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
Oh yeah, after KH3 and any subsequent content it may receive, Kingdom Hearts as we know it is over. Whenever it returns, I can almost guarantee that many roles will be different in development, and while Nomura may try to 'continue the story', it's going to feel very different from the story we've known, stylistically and in its intent.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Weaker as in a decline in sales? If anything I think the opposite will happen. KH3 is pushing the franchise back into the spotlight and will likely gain a bunch of new fans. Plus the handheld systems days are over.

D

Deleted member 246005

On youtube it seems like Kingdom hearts went downhill already so maybe kh3 will bring an upswing?

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
I believe that day was when Nomura decided Ansem wasn't Ansem & some other guy was Ansem was a totally sensible plot twist. Frickin' snowball effect after that point.

SquareDisney

I mean weaker in game quality. Like I think the games are going to get less interesting if the series keeps continuing after III. I'm guessing that the storylines after III is going to start getting boring.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
I mean the most boring thing about the series right now is Xehanort. Being able to start relatively fresh with new ideas, new villains, new concepts, etc might be a much needed shot in the arm.

Launchpad

Awards
I mean the most boring thing about the series right now is Xehanort. Being able to start relatively fresh with new ideas, new villains, new concepts, etc might be a much needed shot in the arm.

tumblr_mhtxrgfTMB1qbc2ylo3_500.gif

I disagree... No villain could ever bring me more joy than the related gif does. A large chunk of KH's DNA is raw undiluted camp, and Xehanort packs in more camp than anyone.

SquareDisney

Also I may be in the minority, but I think that Square Enix should end the series at III because of how complicated the story has gotten in the series.​

SquareDisney

You don't like Master
Xehanort? I personally think he is a great villain, and I think there will never be another villain to top him in the Kingdom Hearts series.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
Yes. Would it be a bad thing? Depends. Sometimes creators need to learn to stop, or risk sabotaging their creation by forcing ideas.

Listen I've been a fan since late 2003, and I've read a lot of stuff online, most of it is negative. The positive stuff I read is mostly from this website and others that are KH-centric.

A lot of players, both casual and core believe that its been on the decline for years.

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
KH after III will be different for sure.
Only way I see it going downhill is if Nomura leaves
And we'll never have a repeat of the Dark Seeker Saga's messiness again as
1) We're going into the next storyline fully aware that it will put a multi-game narrative
2) Handheld consoles sort of don't exist anymore so every game will be a """main""" game

I imagine Saga 2 will probably be a smaller amount of games for those reasons
In a lot of ways, the end of Xehanort could precipitate an upturn in the franchise's quality

D

Deleted member 246005

I think the gameplay will be fine post kh3 but how the story is gonna turn out is anyone's guess.

SquareDisney

KH after III will be different for sure.
Only way I see it going downhill is if Nomura leaves
And we'll never have a repeat of the Dark Seeker Saga's messiness again as
1) We're going into the next storyline fully aware that it will put a multi-game narrative
2) Handheld consoles sort of don't exist anymore so every game will be a """main""" game

I imagine Saga 2 will probably be a smaller amount of games for those reasons
In a lot of ways, the end of Xehanort could precipitate an upturn in the franchise's quality
I think it's still possible for the series to go downhill even if
Nomura is still working on the games. There's a limit to how many good ideas that someone has before they run out. It happens all the time with story writers.

Launchpad

Awards
Things could and probably will take a nosedive after KH3, now that I think about it. Once KH3 is a big success, Disney will order up another game using the same game engine and design as Kingdom Hearts III, but with the huge success of KH3 behind them, they'll probably speed up development and put way less time and energy into enemy design and character control, opting to reuse assets without polishing, and rushing something out that relies more and more on flash and aesthetic than being a good video game.

This isn't to say I'll mind this-- KH1, KH2, and KH3 will go down in game history as very good games, and the fact that this franchise will have achieved such success with its numbered titles is a very good and rare thing. I'm already satisfied with KH1 and KH2, and KH3 is looking to exceed them both in plenty of aspects, so I can't really jeer any future titles.

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
Once KH3 is a big success, Disney will order up another game using the same game engine and design as Kingdom Hearts III, but with the huge success of KH3 behind them, they'll probably speed up development and put way less time and energy into enemy design and character control, opting to reuse assets without polishing, and rushing something out that relies more and more on flash and aesthetic than being a good video game.
This didn't happen with KH1 or II, why would it happen now?

Wallflower3582

Just because this "trilogy" is ending doesn't mean the series will go downhill. I see the Darkseeker Saga as simply a story arc in a larger plotline, based on what Nomura has said. Sora's story isn't over with 3, only this chapter of his story. I'm imagining this arc to be like an arc of an anime. Season one is ending, but sometimes season 2 is waaaay better...

Launchpad

Awards
This didn't happen with KH1 or II, why would it happen now?

In my opinion, it happened after KH2, with game quality trending downwards for a fairly long time. Some prefer BBS to DDD, but I think DDD elevated itself over BBS in polish, if maybe being a little unoriginal. Every game after KH2 was put out too fast to be truly great. Good actions games are freaking hard to make, but not everyone cares enough to get into the weeds of the combat systems. Some people are just happy to see Keyblades, Disney characters, and some existential angst. I can't knock people for enjoying what they enjoy, but they do create an easy market to please, whilst de-incentivizing long development times. It's actually a miracle that KH3 has spent so long in the oven, when they could have likely put it out much sooner with lower quality gameplay, and many fans would love it just the same.

SquareDisney

Just because this "trilogy" is ending doesn't mean the series will go downhill. I see the Darkseeker Saga as simply a story arc in a larger plotline, based on what Nomura has said. Sora's story isn't over with 3, only this chapter of his story. I'm imagining this arc to be like an arc of an anime. Season one is ending, but sometimes season 2 is waaaay better...
I don't see how they could top the Darkseeker Saga though. And I don't see how they could make a villain that could top Master Xehanort. Kingdom Hearts III just seems like a perfect final game to the series for me. [FONT=arial,sans-serif-light,sans-serif]

[/FONT]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back