• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Do you think that KH3 should use the same ability system found in BBS and DDD?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awards
The use of abilities in the those 2 games made them very essential for character growth. I'm not sure why they decided to go down that path but hey, I can't really complain. This kind of structure for the ability system for me seems poorly executed. BBS's abilities can be quite tedious to gain if you plan on getting them all and DDD's.....although it hadn't suffered the same problems from BBS, it doesn't allow for much adjustment when it to boosting stats to a grand margin. Maybe using this ability system in KH3 doesn't seem to be a good idea, but what do you guys think?

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
I can't quite remember right, but aren't the abilities systems in those games intrinsically tied to their gameplay systems -- systems that aren't represented at all in KH3? Like BBS' was tied to Commands, right? And KH3D's was tied to Dream Eaters. Since KH3 has neither, I doubt they are going to replicate that system. Unless I'm missing the larger point here?

Vulpeus1041

I started playing khbbs fm again, and I came to realize that the commands were actually pretty cool, I some what do want them back

Muke

whatever
Awards
My answer's pretty simple, actually.
No.

And yeah, what Audo said.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I don't think there is any need to repeat anybody when it has been said well. No it shouldn't, and it probably won't.

There is no subsystem that we know of in Kh3 that would make an ability system like this possible.

Instead, there are other options they will probably take.

1. KH2's ability system - Personally I think this is a bit too simple, but it has its positives. Skills unlock by completing tasks, story progression, and leveling, and that is the easiest way of approaching an ability system. It's clean cut without any complication.

Classic is always fine, yes, but considering every game after KH2 had systems that allowed for better customization for the player and a wider variety of skills to be used, KH3 should aim for a similar level of freedom but with better options and implementation.

2. Re:coded's stat matrix system - This is similar to a grid system found in Final Fantasy X and XII (maybe like XIII but that the Crystarium was linear for each paradigm so...eh) and imo much more appealing than a straightforward ability system. It also allows for freedom to "grow" Sora anyways you want. The problem with this is that obtaining abilities are restricted to how many points you have gained by defeating enemies to spend on them, and there will be a lot of filler that one has to progress through to get to a new skill. HP+, Magic+, Defense+, etc.

KH2Rulz

Awards
Have:

1. KH2's Bonus Level Up where you obtain Active Abilities through storyline fights. This allows you to do a proper Level One run without BBS and DDD's tedium.
2. Re:Coded's level scale mechanic (which really was taken from TWEWY - in fact, copy TWEWY's method instead) so that you can change your level whenever you want and decrease your HP accordingly in exchange for a drop rate improvement.
3. Have skill-point based Support Abilities where you obtain skill points on level up and use them to purchase abilities. That's right, I'm taking away Sword-Rod-Shield ability mechanics. Let's face it - it'd be much more fun to customise our Sora according to our playstyle rather than following the three paths.
4. Growth abilities... Eh, I'm okay with levelling up Forms, but there's probably a better way to do it.
5. Stats are level based. In fact, you can make Sword-Rod-Shield impact on stat growth instead.

This way, there's no way to have an over-ability'd Sora early in the game (a la BBS), no need to repeatedly play minigames (a la DDD), no need to follow a set level-up path (a la Coded/KH2-ish) and it should still be fun, encourage customisation and most importantly - facilitate skill-based playing rather than grinding.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
No. I wouldn't mind if they carried over some of the abilities (like Fire/Blizzard/etc. screens, boosts, leveling up from steps taken, and so on), but I'd rather the ability system was closer to KH1/2.

Ven_Roxas

Awards
I'm voting for a varied form of panals from Days. If at anytime you want to switch to a level one challenge you can. but I don't like the limited magic. However, it's kind of a neat way to visually show AP and link certain abilities with others. Gives a lot of customization for boosts and what not. Just a suggestion

*waits for the "days system was terrible" backlash*

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I'm voting for a varied form of panals from Days. If at anytime you want to switch to a level one challenge you can. but I don't like the limited magic. However, it's kind of a neat way to visually show AP and link certain abilities with others. Gives a lot of customization for boosts and what not. Just a suggestion

I'll bring it lol

Re:coded/TWEWY's level slider was much more superior in that regard. You only had to slide it to 0. With the panels, you had to take out all of your level panels.

appleboy82791

Awards
I know a lot of you don't care for the BBS system but I actually think it was the best. To me it really didn't seem all that tedious to get abilities and attacks. Although I really did like the simplicity of KH2 also. At least for me, I would like to see some kind of mix between the 2 of them.

Muke

whatever
Awards
I know a lot of you don't care for the BBS system but I actually think it was the best.
how many kh games have you played

To me it really didn't seem all that tedious to get abilities and attacks. Although I really did like the simplicity of KH2 also. At least for me, I would like to see some kind of mix between the 2 of them.
I really just want something like the KH II system. It's the best, imo.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I know a lot of you don't care for the BBS system

It's not a matter of disliking it. I rather enjoyed melding to get abilities.

I think it is more that there is no feasible way to implement it without the command deck system. If the game is going to have a traditional command menu system, then we will probably earn our abilities and magic along the way through the same means we did in KH1/KH2.

Vulpeus1041

The kh 2 system was eh, I never knew if those abilities I got were even being used, sometimes Sora would do a fancy aerial attack and I wouldn't know how I did it

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
I know a lot of you don't care for the BBS system but I actually think it was the best. To me it really didn't seem all that tedious to get abilities and attacks. Although I really did like the simplicity of KH2 also. At least for me, I would like to see some kind of mix between the 2 of them.
The problem wasn't tediousness. The real issue was how easily that system could break the game. If you had a guide, you could get a lot of OP abilities early on with minimal effort.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
I like the old-fashioned simple way of just getting abilities by leveling up or doing tasks or even progressing. The system of Re:Coded was okay as well, but to me, it took too much time.
As long as it'll never be anything like Days again, I think I'll be fine.

Awards

I don't know about you man, but getting those abilities was hell.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
I don't know about you man, but getting those abilities was hell.

It was easy in the process but damn, how was I supposed to know
a) which abilities are available and
b) what I need to combine to get what.

I know, I know, tutorials, guide books...but that's just wrong. :(

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards

Tbh, I'd prefer Days' system over BbS. BbS and "tedious trainwreck" are synonymous to me.

WastedPenguin

Awards
As much as you guys may love BBS and DDD, i think that KH3 has to get the most influence from KH1 & 2 gameplay-wise, meaning that i wish for the classic ability system to return in KH3 in a improved version. If it would be the same system used in BBS and DDD it wouldnt really feel like a classic major KH title and more like another spinoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back