• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Do You Think Shiro Amano Will Ever Do Manga Adaptations of Birth By Sleep, Re:Coded and Dream Drop Distance?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Do You Think Shiro Amano Will Adapt The Rest Of The Xehanort Saga Into Manga?

• Total voters
Awards
This is something that I've been wondering about for a while now. I own the Days manga and recently got the first volume of the KHII manga, and I just love Shiro's artstyle, and I love how he adapts the stories of the games! The adaptation for Days was fantastic, as it added so much personality and extra screentime for the other Organization members!

So, do you think adaptations for the remaining games in the Xehanort Saga will be a thing? Or do you think he'll call it quits after he finishes up Kingdom Hearts III?

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I don’t think they'll ever happen now. I don't really blame them for skipping BbS and Coded, although I’d like to have one for the latter myself. But I really wish we’d got one for 3D, that one would’ve been pure cuteness with all the adorable Dream Eaters alongside Riku and Sora! I was going to use the word fanservice, but to me that word has sort of developed a sexual connotation, lol.

Was Amano exhausted by making the past manga series or do they have original products of their own that take up more of their time these days? I've always been sort of confused by what the issue is? To me, it hasn't felt like the manga came at that fast a speed or anything for them to be that worn down??? I'm probably wrong about something there, so feel free to correct me.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I don’t think they'll ever happen now. I don't really blame them for skipping BbS and Coded, although I’d like to have one for the latter myself. But I really wish we’d got one for 3D, that one would’ve been pure cuteness with all the adorable Dream Eaters alongside Riku and Sora! I was going to use the word fanservice, but to me that word has sort of developed a sexual connotation, lol.

Was Amano exhausted by making the past manga series or do they have original products of their own that take up more of their time these days? I've always been sort of confused by what the issue is? To me, it hasn't felt like the manga came at that fast a speed or anything for them to be that worn down??? I'm probably wrong about something there, so feel free to correct me.
He got burned out on KH2. It’s a lot of work being a manga artist and he was doing full-length chapters. After KH2 released he seemed pretty done with the franchise, but he’s a glutton for punishment so he picked up KH3.

KH3 has been more freeing for him because he doesn’t have to have a chapter ready for a weekly or monthly anthology that has publication deadlines. (<- this was what burned him back with KH2).

We’ll see where he stands now that he has the benefit of publishing through GanGan Online. His deadlines are what he sets, and his chapters can be as long or short as he wants them to be.

KudoTsurugi

Awards
Yeah, pretty much what Kira and Oracle said. Unlike the likes of Shonen Jump’s One Piece and Dragon Ball, which were weekly manga, the Kingdom Hearts manga chapters came out in a monthly magazine, ever since Chain of Memories. By the manga had ended KH2 in 2015, it had been going on for 10 years in Shonen Gangan, including the break to adapt 358/2. That’s almost 120 chapters of manga, I’m not surprised that he thought he was done with it after that.

Who knows how long KH3’s manga will be, but I imagine it’ll take less time than KH2. And as Oracle said, we’ll see how it goes. Plus, even though Amano-san didn’t adapt those games, he did create art for the novel adaptations.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Yeah, I can't see him going back and adapting the previous entries, but I wouldn't be surprised if we got mini flashback episodes of them giving us a taste of what could have been. I'm somewhat hopping he'll include Melody of Memory in his KH3 adaptation but only time will tell.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I doubt it. It'll play in better for a potential joke between Sora and Young Xehanort that I hope they do when they get to Toy Box. But there's kinda not a need for it. I heard they covered 0.2 in the manga so there's the TAV coverage.

I'm curious how long the KH3 manga will be, and if Amano will want to do a future KH title after words?

Awards
All of you make some pretty valid points! I don't know, I just find the thought of the other installments having manga adaptations would be great as well, but Amano can't overwork himself, so of course, if he doesn't feel up to the task, then he shouldn't do it. He is human, after all.

It is amazing to think about, though, that the series has evolved beyond games, what with the manga and novel adaptations and all the merch released over the years, Kingdom Hearts has come a long way! :')

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
The thing is... Why can't they get someone else to make the manga adaptations for 3D, Coded, and BbS if Shiro Amano isn't interested? I mean, Square doesn't mind re-casting voice actors unceremoniously without even asking them back, much less when they simply turn down the offer to return, what is one manga artist? I'm sure there would be someone out there who is interested in doing the job.

KudoTsurugi

Awards
The thing is... Why can't they get someone else to make the manga adaptations for 3D, Coded, and BbS if Shiro Amano isn't interested? I mean, Square doesn't mind re-casting voice actors unceremoniously without even asking them back, much less when they simply turn down the offer to return, what is one manga artist? I'm sure there would be someone out there who is interested in doing the job.
Here’s a thought: Does Amano-san have any assistants working with them on the KH manga? If so, maybe see if one of them they can try adapting those games.

To use a recent example, the HeroAca spinoff ‘Team Up Missions’ was done by one of Kohei Horikoshi’s assistants, Yoco Akiyama. They were able to match the style of the main manga fairly well, so if Square can find someone who can match Amano and the KH manga, then maybe that could help.

Awards
It would be interesting to see if another mangaka would take on the reins to adapt the rest of the series. We'd just have to wait and see if such a thing were in the cards!
Here’s a thought: Does Amano-san have any assistants working with them on the KH manga? If so, maybe see if one of them they can try adapting those games.

To use a recent example, the HeroAca spinoff ‘Team Up Missions’ was done by one of Kohei Horikoshi’s assistants, Yoco Akiyama. They were able to match the style of the main manga fairly well, so if Square can find someone who can match Amano and the KH manga, then maybe that could help.
Ooh, that sounds like a fantastic idea, and I am all for this!

Back