• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Fanfiction ► Do YOU speak Fan Fiction?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thelonepickle

I don't like bugs!
HEY ALL.

._.

-cough-

THE FAN FICTION DICTIONARY!!!

Brought to you in astounding Technicolor!

By: Thelonepickle
(Who freakin' pwns teh lamers)

Okay, here's the point of this thread: I'm really bored. And people here have been asking questions about what certain things mean - I usually get 'em through PM. o.o So, let's get started. I'll just list terms and you can refer back to this if anyone ever comments on yer Fan Fic (don't count on it). I'll even list the part of speech they are (if it applies), EVEN THOUGH I KNOW YOU WON'T FREAKIN' USE IT. >_> STUBBORN ILLITERATES.

o:

-takes medicine- Let's continue.

~-UglySquigglesselggiuqSylgU-~

Angst: n. Trippy teenage stuff. "ZOH MY GOSH I BE SO IN LUFF WIK THIS CHICK, AND SHE ISH TEH LUFF ME BACK, BUT SINCE I AM A TEEN, THIS DOES NOT WORK AND I ISH TEH CUT CUT CUT!!!" ._. But probably more serious than that.

AU: adj. Alternate Universe. A fan fiction with characters everyone knows, even sometimes following the storyline of the game, but one that has twists in the storyline. I.E. "SORA AND RIKU GO ON AN ADVENTAR AND GET KEYBLSDE BUT THEN KAIRI GET ONE TO SAND THE KING TURNS EVIL." o.o But not so n00bish. More like: "Sora and Kairi: School Days From Heck Where the Teachers Eat Fooz for Breakfast."

Author: n. A boy fic writer. Boy, man, it, whatever you wanna call yerself. >.>

Authoress: n. Chick writer. >.>

Bump: To bump or posting a bump. "Bring Up My Post." To bring a thread back from the second+ thread. ._. See: Super-Bump(ing)

Canon Character: n. A main character from a well-known, published story. I.E. Daisuke Niwa, Haruno Sakura, etc.

Challenge: n. If another author wishes to battle you in writing, they will offer you this. ._. Usually, you each write a one-shot, and then it's a popularity contest while you each say to teh other, "Nu, nu - Yours was much better!" in faulty British accents. ._.

Chap: n. A chapter. Should be noice and LONG, fooz.

*Chappie: n. Less than cool way of saying "chap" or "chapter."

*Chappy: n. See "chappie."

Chapter: n. What you break your fan fictions down into. Usually longer than one freakin' paragraph.

Character Death: ._. When a character dies.

Characters: n. Any sentient creature in a story.

Crossover: adj. A type of fic where two or more different... shall we say... mediums are joined together. Yu-Gi-Oh meets Harry Potter meets The Wizard of Oz meets Winston Churchill. Stuff like that.

Crunk: adj. A way of saying "Hyper Hip" that's actually hyper hip.

Drabble: n. Boring, worthless stuff. Unless I'm completely unhip and don't know what this means. Better add: **

Dying: adj. A fic that could have one of many problems: Not popular, undiscovered,
not good, etc.

Dead: adj. A fic that hasn't been posted on for a very long time (if at all) or one abandoned by its author(ess).

Description: n. Detail in writing. It's a GUD thing, friends. >.>

Fan Fic: n. A story written often in a continuation of or simply loosely based off a game, movie, etc.

Fan Fiction: n. See "Fan Fic"

Fic: n. See "Fan Fic"

Finished: adj. A Fan Fiction that has been completed.

Fluff: n. Sappy romance. EWW. =3

Gary Stu: n. A male character that cannot grow, because he has no flaws. I.E., girls fall all over him, he is extremely powerful, good-looking and smart, etc.

Grammar: n. A necessary part of any good fan fiction. Good punctuation, sentence structure, etc.

*Grammer: n. A common typo. See "Grammar"

Gorey: adj. A fic with lots of bloody scenes and such. Pickle likes.

IC: In Character. Taking a Canon Character and keeping the personality as it is in the original writings or film of which the character is from. ICing, IC'd. I.E. "The characters were way IC!" "You totally IC'd the characters."

*Lemon: n. A scene that clearly depicts characters having physical relations. BANNED from the forums. Anyone who partakes is a pervert and should be hanged. >.> It's Hanged. Not hung. >.>

*Lemonade: n. A scene that could result in a lemon, a scene that leads to a definite lemon, or a scene that tries to cover a lemon up so that the author won't be in trouble. Pickle sees through this. >.> I.E. "There was a lot of lemonade in that last chapter.

*Lime: n. A romantic scene that only goes as far as "making out." An annoying scene. >.>

Look-and-leave: v. To look at a fan fiction but not post on it. Not appreciated.

Lookers-and-leavers: n. People who partake in Looking-and-leaving.

Look-and-leaves: n. See "Lookers-and-leavers"

L&L: acr. Look And Leave.

Literacy: n. A well-written fan fiction with very few typos.

Literate: adj. Someone who shows literacy in his or her writing.

Mary Sue: n. A female character with no flaws that cannot grow and is hated by most real females. See "Gary Stu"

OC: n., acr. Original Character

OOC: acr. Out of Character. The opposite of ICing, when one completely changes the
personality of a well-known person in a story for inexplicable reasons or for convenience. I.E. "You OOC'd all of the characters."

One-Shot: n. A fic that ish just one chapter long. They should be LONG and FREAKIN' DESCRIPITIVE. >.> Like all chapters. Usually very emotional. 'Sposed to leave j00 thinkin'. Mostly about cheese. o: Unless j00're as successful as GoH, in which case your One-Shots turn into Fan Fics. =3

Over-kill: n. To squeeze the Sponge of Decency until it saturates your Fan Fiction in too much of a good thing. Could be detail: Taking three or four paragraphs to describe a blade of unremarkable grass.

Plagiarism: n. To steal another's words, not giving credit, and usually denying it a lot. The penalty? Death.

Plague-erism: n. A comical way of saying Plagiarism - And wishing the plague on someone at the same time.

*Potato: n. A once-popular, has-been way of saying "lemon." It was horribly ridiculous, not funny, and overall just an entirely stupid term. >_>

Rena: Proper Noun.Takushi_Rena, Mod of the Fan Fiction section.

Reviving: v. Reviving a thread. Whether it's dead, dying, or FINISHED, when someone posts on it and brings it back to the first page, you are "reviving" it. It's annoying when the fic is finished. DON'T DO THAT. IF THE FAN FICTION HAS BEEN COMPLETED, THE PROPER THING TO DO IS CLOSE IT, AND YOU, THE FAN, SHOULD SIMPLY PM THE AUTHOR TO TELL HOW MUCH YOU DUG IT. >_> See: Super-Bump.

*Rubric: n. An application-like description of a character - something you should never post. Always describe the people IN your story - not before you post a chapter. Posting pictures instead of describing is also annoying. >.>

*Script-Style: Writing that has no detail and is only permitted on KHI for hilarious fics, even though you can be funny without them, and they're highly descouraged. I.E.
"Riku: *eats cheese* Sora: LET'S GET MARRIED!1"

Shonen-ai: Gay pairings. What's the one you guys always use instead of Roxel? Aku..Somethin-not-important. Anyway, Roxel, Soriku, Daisu..dark... Don't ask how... XD Stuff like that. Romance, but not lemons. Maybe a kiss. ._. No rules against this, and don't flame them for it: JUST DON'T READ IT IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT. >_> Romance fics suck anyway. =3

Shoujo-ai: (**Spelling may be wrong on this term) Shonen-ai for chicks. =o

Slash: Slash Fics. **Gay/les pairings.

Song-Fic: A fic with a song for each chapter. Sometime's it's only one chapter long. People will often try to get you to listen to the song when you read it, but I don't. Too freakin' lazy, and it's probably not worth it, seeing as how their music pales in comparison to mine. =3

* *Subscribes*: A lame way to say that you're a fan of the story. *subscribes to thread instead of saying that they like it*

Super-Bump: n. A super bump is when you post on a thread that hasn't been posted on in a very long time, whether it's finished or dying, or dead. See: Revive/Reviving. I don't remember how I listed it. =3

Takushi_Rena: Proper NounMod of the Fan Fiction section.

Update: v. To post another chapter

Updart: v. See "Update"

Udpart: v. See "Update"

Yaoi: Boy-on-boy action. ._. Blunt, jes? It's the HEAVY STUFF. Yaoi: Gay lemon. Lemons are not allowed on KHI. ._. Maybe a little less extreme in some cases, but people always mix this up with (see): "Shonen-ai"

Yuri: Yaoi for chicks. See: "Shoujo-ai"

*A stupid term. :3
** Possibly inaccurate, further study required.

Guide:
acr.: An Acronym.
adj:. An Adjective.
Proper Noun: A... Proper Noun. o.o;
n.: A noun.
v.: A verb.

Anyway, you request it, I'll add it. I'm just sick of getting PMs about this, so yeah. :3 Hope this helps. It'll probably die, though.

>.>

-Teh Ever-luffin' Pickle.​

Last edited:

I

The Show Must Go On
haha. interesting.... WHAT?! YOU CAN POST LEMON! WTF?! but then i can't post my fanfiction... *holds up finger in vow* i will find a way to loophole

Sterling_Silver

Dagadut.
Not the way to go about things, AxelOwns. And if you read the rules to posting a fic, the OTHER stickied thread, then you'd know about this. Why would you even post something like that? What if your mother found it? Would you want her to see that?

ANYWAYS.

Way to go Pickle. When you told me about this, I thought you were gonna make a list of multi-syllable synonyms for words like "fun", "cat", and "scared". In which case, I woulda totally helped out. That would've been fun... But this is way cooler. ;D

Good job Pickley. =D

Xiao

serious at least all of the time
Awards
On fanfiction.net i've also seen 'AU' alot. wtf does that mean x.x.

Cloud_Unchained

Hooray! Hooray!
:)

Very smart idea. I see you used my citrusy vocab. The updart and udpart made me laugh.

XD

Thelonepickle

I don't like bugs!
AU has been added to El List.

:D

Thanks for responding guys. -gives Silver many bonus points- WHAT A HELPFUL, CRUNK CHILD! :DDD

HeartofTwilight

Pickle, this is awesome and much needed. Some more terms that you may wanna add:

Yaoi, Yuri, Fluff, Drabble, Slash, Crossover, Charecter Death (though that one is extreamly obvious), Angst

That is all i can think of for now. Again, thanks for the much needed list

Thelonepickle

I don't like bugs!
^Done and done.

._.

GoH apparently loves this and is going to ride along on my coat tails. .-. LIKE ALWAYS. >.>;

.-. No hard feelings, GoHzerina. o:

Taokitty

A Chagrined Fool.
Awards
People's Fragile Dreams, Relinquished from Anixiet
This is quite useful and actually helped me find the words of why my fan fic will suck when I post it and when I critisize it myself! =^_^= Thanks! I always wondered what bump meant, I always thought that it had no real meaning and it meant when you got a bump on your head or something...>.>' But that's just me being a baka.

>< I wish I could help if it was needed!><

GuardianOfHearts

Darkrooms and safelights
Sitting inside the viewfinder of a camera, watchin
...I didn't know you had coat-tails, Pickle.

No, seriously, no I'm not. I just luff this. *-* How come all the exciting stuff happens when I'm gone? Anyway, riding your coat-tails would mean that I took credit for this. ^-^ Which I obviously can't.

Just don't call me "GoHzerina" ever, EVER again. >> Then I might have to get j00 back ... somehow. With something annoying. I dunno.

Anyway, I think you should put in such terms as "one-shots", "challenges", and "plot-bunnies". =3

Xiao

serious at least all of the time
Awards
You forgot songfic XD

Usually a one-shot. Set to a song the author picks. Usually the lyrics are posted throughout the fic in italics. Its usually a good idea to listen to the song to get the mood of the fic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back