• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Do you replay games?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Veevee

Awards
Well, might sound like a stupid title, but I guess it makes for an interesting question. I lately thought about games I want to play in the future and games I already played and I noticed that there are only a few games I beat more than once. When I was still a kid, I replayed games quite often and beat them a few times because back then I didn't have the money to get new ones, so I had to stick with what I already had. Nowadays, I usually play games till they break (not in a literal sense), trying to find every secret and unlock every trophy there is (as long as they are sane to get) but after that, I don't touch said game anymore for at least a few years, if ever. It's not that I don't enjoy that game anymore but as soon as I think that I now found everything there is to find in a game, I want to move on and when I think about returning, I feel an inner resistance. A resistance that tells me not to replay it - partly because I fear it might ruin the wonderful feelings that I completed the game with (by finding logical flaws or sth), partly because I think there's not much more to find anymore than the basic story I already know and partly because I want to experience something completely new.

So when I think about what to play, I only have a vague imagination like "I wanna play something that has fast gameplay" (like an action adventure), "I wanna play an RPG", "I wanna play a card game", "I wanna explore an open world", "I want to grind". I do look forward to specific titles but I rarely think about wanting to play a specific game, rather a specific gameplay. The only recent cases where I came back to a game was when I longed for a specific gameplay (aspect) that was unique to a specific game or at its best there. Examples are the Pokemon Trading Card Game for Gameboy Color; Pokemon Snap; Guacamelee, Stardew Valley and only a few others I got back to because they had or mastered something that I never found elsewhere.

So, what about you? Do you replay games frequently? If yes, for which reasons? If not, same question.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
It depends on the game of course, but mostly, yeah. I love replaying. Sometimes it's because I really like the gameplay/story and can't get enough of it, but there's also games where I actually like finding flaws and coming up with better ideas to get past them or turn them into something good - or, well, just accept that it isn't as good as I imagined, but that's okay, too.

DarkGrey Heroine

How much closer could I be?
Awards
Oh I love replaying games! But there's gotta be a context which makes me want to replay them. For example:

- I played Undertale 3 (one Neutral, one True Pacifist from the start 'cause I killed Toriel, and one Genocide) and replayed Undertale 4 times (once Neutral with a friend, once Genocide with a friend, once Neutral by myself again and once True Pacifist by myself again, and I'll do more Neutrals/Pacifists in the future for sure). That makes a total of 7 playthroughs for Undertale on the PC alone, think about when I'll buy the game for PS4 - that will definitely make more than 10 playthroughs together. The reasons here are finding changes in text, understanding the story better, unedrstanding subtleties of the story and gameplay better, as well as experiencing some of its beautiful scenes or scenery once more, each time a bit more profoundly. My replays here are driven by curiosity for details and sincerely enjoying the game as a whole.

- I played ACII once, reached 100% Sync, won all PS Trophies, and after a while I replayed the game. Again for a better understanding of the plot and re-experiencing all the atmosphere-driven scenes, the music, the wonderful Italian cities I adore. The replay also allowed me exploration without any feeling that I want to and need to progress to find out how the story develops, because I knew the story already. I could take my time with everything, plan assassinations more precisely, be more subtle, enjoy Italy, find the best views etc. My replay here was driven by my wish to make my experience even more beautiful and even "larger", by taking all the beauty "in" again under no pressure of any kind.

- I played KH DDD on the 3DS, completed it 100%, got all in-game trophies (except the link-friend-portal-thingie one cuz no one else got a 3DS and DDD around meeee); likewise, I played BBS on PSP, same things - and I replayed both DDD and BBS because I wanted to do a Critical Level 1 playthrough for both of them. Which I did. My replays here were driven by the desire to master the gameplay, the mechanics, the various battles, so that I don't depend on level, luck or just stats like attack/defense.

I believe these are my main reasons for replaying a game. I am not afraid to replay a game, I don't believe in this "if I replay a game I love, I'll notice flaws and that will make me appreciate it less". I replayed FFXV too, because I took waaay too much time to play it initially (damn those beautiful graphics and music... damn the chocobros in-battle reactions...!) and noticed how the story indeed seems so thinly spread over the course of the first Chapters, until things get actually dynamic plot-wise. That didn't take away my appreciation for the game, or maybe I should call it just enjoyment of the game as it is.
this being said I'm SO READY for Episode Ignis, two days, in two days I'll get ittttt

I also noticed how I want to replay some games only after a long time passes. For example, I would LOVE to replay AC1 as soon as I get the time, but it took me 2 years after finishing it to start wanting to replay it. I didn't like AC1 at first for many, many game-mechanics-related reasons (and yes the feel of the gameplay matters A LOT to me), so if it weren't for the atmosphere and the characters I wouldn't want to go back. But AC's strong point is atmosphere and humans in said atmosphere, characters in specific worlds of their own, each with their own "feel" to it, and now I find myself wanting to feel AC1's world again.

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
Yes. I replay games much much more than I ever play new ones xD KH1 has always been my go-to with that, used to replay it every year, recently much more though thanks to plat shenanigans and other stuff. Actually the only KH game I haven't replayed is CoM since I still haven't even finished it once. Pretty much every time I see a game I'd like to buy I remember all the stuff I still haven't done in KH, still want to one day plat everything but CoM, get all trophies in Re:Coded and do some lvl1 runs. So I figure why spend money on a new game when I can just play KH infinitely? I'm very selective with what I play and put time into anyway since it's only a secondary hobby, might as well just stick to what I know.

Pokie

It depends on the game, if the game was too frustrating or awful, then no. No way. Not going to happen !

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
I'm willing to give Donkey Kong 64 another shot. I do think I rage quit difficult games too soon and nostalgia brings me back to replay the entire game. So, I do re-play games.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Yes. I replay games. Recent and old ones. I'm at my fourth playthrough of FINAL FANTASY XV. Interim, I'm replaying the Ace Attorney franchise. Right now at Justice for All. I am also replaying Breath of the Wild on my Switch, seeing as how I already beat it on my U.

Tyrant Raver

The Dragon
Awards
I only replay games with well if you have multiple endings or sometimes to go back on a specific event or choice.

I also replay games that I suck at the first try, "Redemption Runs" they call it. Games like Ghouls and Goblins, Castlevania, mostly platformer games.

Awards
Website
the-blue-wraith.tumblr.com
It depends on the game. If it has a great story or I want to experience the game again, I'll replay it. Just like I did in the Dragon Age/Mass Effect series, I wanted to experience the different endings/happenings.
I replayed AC Ezio Trilogy many times because the story was sooo good. Especially AC2, the views from the top of the buildings were so calm to watch while listening to the background music.

ImVentus

Awards
I like to replay games but when I do it I mostly try to bring in others to play with me. However I replay Kingdom Hearts 2 at least 8 times each year so there's that.

Soldier

Awards
I replay games mainly to get EVERYTHING within them, my most notable example of this is when i tried platinuming all 6 games on the PS4 (We all remember how that went) and succeeding after 6 months of that. Sometimes my devotion to going to such lengths is a bit insane, but it's what i do to kill the time. However, too much time dedicated to it means that my opinion of it will be sour for a bit, whether it be from frustrating bosses, long sidequests with little payoff, or excessive grinding in a game that gives too little exp (here's looking at you birth by sleep final mix). So yes, i do replay games, with negative consequences trailing behind me.

BoyWithStick

Personally, I always try to find a Reason to replay, 'long as I enjoyed the game I'll scour the land of ol' faithful "where ever the heck" just so I have something to sink my teeth into. The top 2 spots for the games I've replayed the most times are Bully (PS2) and Castlevania (NES)

Zul

Awards
I recently played some old RPGs that I hadn't touched in 15+ years. I find it pretty enjoyable.

Phantom

I replay games quite often, especially the PS2 games I got when I was a kid. I must've replayed games like Kingdom Hearts, Jak & Daxter and Ratchet & Clank dozens of times.

Not Ienzo

Website
www.fanfiction.net
I like replaying games that have lots of customization options such as different abilities and movesets, because I love playing the games in different ways to give you a new experience, and to experiment with new stuff to play with. It's why I like jrpg's a lot because there's usually lots of different things you can try (it's why I enjoyed CoM and BBS because it had a lot of this. It's also why I like things like Pokemon).

D3cca

Yes. I often replay games that I already beat. Take Kingdom Hearts for example. I've been replaying them recently since I've been getting so pumped up for KH3. I mean yeah, it's fun playing through the first time, but then you wait a while, and you start forgetting the little things that happened in the story, and then you go back and replay it after about 6 months or more, and all of a sudden, its fun again, because you forgot about all the little things that had happened in the story. Thats also a reason why I like Pokemon also.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
Oh, absolutely.

I don't exaggerate or trying to impress anybody when I say my replays of games like my favourite Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts titles, Asura's Wrath and so on might be in the sixties or seventies.

KH1 might've broken the hundo already. Actually, if we add up all the versions it totally did.

Shinra

Banned
Awards
depends on the game but also if I have the means to play it...

Back