• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Do you guys think Nomura's the George Lucas of JPRG?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaijuguy19

Nomura's responsible for a lot of massive influence to both the FF and KH games though he's often criticized for not being too keen on doing story and characters well enough at times like the KH games for example so I wonder if he's like the George Lucas of the JRPG genre since they seem to share the same lines of flaws people say they have when it comes to their respective fields. I know this sounds odd but it's been on my mind lately.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
at least nomura has better taste in music.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
at least nomura has better taste in music.

I think both of their works have excellent music... unless you mean their personal preferences?

Thing is, while I know that Nomura is the director of KH and the one who thinks up the general narrative, I'm not sure about how much direct involvement he has with things like scriptwriting or more specific bits in the story. Lucas, on the other hand...

But to be honest, this is comparing apples to oranges. As much as I love KH, it's got diddlying nothing on the cultural phenomenon that Star Wars spawned. And as much as some fans hate certain games in the franchise, I don't think any of them ever went completely Jar-Jar on themselves.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
Personally I don't think so, but Birth by Sleep is definitely the Phantom Menace of this series.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
Thing is, while I know that Nomura is the director of KH and the one who thinks up the general narrative, I'm not sure about how much direct involvement he has with things like scriptwriting or more specific bits in the story.
He wrote the scenarios for 358/2 Days (excluding the Disney world stuff), KH3D and now KHIII.

Days was the first time he wrote the scenario and he wrote it in two weeks, which kind of explains a lot.

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards
I wouldn't really call Nomura the Lucas of JRPGs, but then again, I'm not that huge into Star Wars but I am still relatively excited for the next film. Though, I do remember Jar-Jar vividly, and that's as someone who saw the Phantom Menace as a child and still found him... very eh. I wouldn't say KH ever reached that level.

I would actually argue the games Nomura scripted himself were my favorite, character-wise (excluding the obvious KH1 and CoM). Days, while having an eh story and eh gameplay and overall kind of eh feeling, had some golden character moments, and I still, to this day, would argue RAX is the best developed original trio (excluding SDG). Plus, Nomura's skills at dialogue and one-liners kind of really shows in Days. DDD also had some of my favorite character scenes, especially the Riku ones, but lacked a lot of the quirky dialogue Days had. Plus, Nomura never really screwed over the story as much as people give him credit for.

If anything, I'd say whoever wrote the FFX-2 audiodrama and novella is the Lucas of JRPGs tbh.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
I wouldn't really call Nomura the Lucas of JRPGs, but then again, I'm not that huge into Star Wars but I am still relatively excited for the next film. Though, I do remember Jar-Jar vividly, and that's as someone who saw the Phantom Menace as a child and still found him... very eh. I wouldn't say KH ever reached that level.

I would actually argue the games Nomura scripted himself were my favorite, character-wise (excluding the obvious KH1 and CoM). Days, while having an eh story and eh gameplay and overall kind of eh feeling, had some golden character moments, and I still, to this day, would argue RAX is the best developed original trio (excluding SDG). Plus, Nomura's skills at dialogue and one-liners kind of really shows in Days. DDD also had some of my favorite character scenes, especially the Riku ones, but lacked a lot of the quirky dialogue Days had. Plus, Nomura never really screwed over the story as much as people give him credit for.
Quirky dialogue in Days was entirely due to the localization team and isn't actually present in the original Japanese text.

If anything, I'd say whoever wrote the FFX-2 audiodrama and novella is the Lucas of JRPGs tbh.
Nojima, aka the guy who wrote KH2, lol.

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards
Quirky dialogue in Days was entirely due to the localization team and isn't actually present in the original Japanese text.

I am deeply saddened to find this out. This whole time I thought Nomura was responsible for such classics as "Roxas, that's a stick." and such. Well... maybe the games should get that specific localization team to do dialogue then because whoever did that was perf.

Nojima, aka the guy who wrote KH2, lol.

That makes so much sense, it hurts.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
I am deeply saddened to find this out. This whole time I thought Nomura was responsible for such classics as "Roxas, that's a stick." and such. Well... maybe the games should get that specific localization team to do dialogue then because whoever did that was perf.
I'm pretty sure it's the same localization team every time, it's just that they were given more of a free reign with Days because they didn't really care about it enough to enforce it be as close to the original as possible like they would with more important titles.

Anagram

Banned
Personally I don't think so, but Birth by Sleep is definitely the Phantom Menace of this series.

Birth by Sleep-Phantom Menace starring Spock
Days-Clone Wars starring Jesse McCartney
Coded-Nomura's Tron
Chain of Memories-The expanded universe nobody remembers

SephirothZ

Birth by Sleep was the best side game of the series and stands up there with KH1 and KH2. Phantom Menace was universally accepted as bad by the Star Wars fanbase, I doubt BBS would come anywhere close. Maybe Coded or Days....

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
That's a very subjective opinion my friend. My previous post was a joke but I won't deny that I dislike both of them.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Birth by Sleep-Phantom Menace starring Spock
Days-Clone Wars starring Jesse McCartney
Coded-Nomura's Tron
Chain of Memories-The expanded universe nobody remembers

So true, it hurts. Hahaa...
If anything, Terra's part of BBS is Revenge of the Sith, just with an even more monotonous and dumber main character!

Anagram

Banned
So true, it hurts. Hahaa...
If anything, Terra's part of BBS is Revenge of the Sith, just with an even more monotonous and dumber main character!

BBS Chapter one (Terra)-Revenge of the Sith starring Spock
BBS Chapter two (Ventus)-Phantom Menace starring Mark Hamill
BBS Chapter three (Aqua)-Return of the Jedi
BBS Final Episode-Force Awakens starring Richard Epcar's voice
BBS Secret Chapter-A new hope

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Square Enix staff have been known to have a soft spot for Star Wars, so I guess it's not too surprising that it ended up this way. XD

Dr_Mario64

Birth by Sleep was the best side game of the series and stands up there with KH1 and KH2. Phantom Menace was universally accepted as bad by the Star Wars fanbase, I doubt BBS would come anywhere close. Maybe Coded or Days....

From what I've seen, BBS is typically rated as above-average to excellent by most of the fanbase. Personally, it's my fave in the series with 3D coming in a close second. However, the one thing I noticed that was significantly below par was the voice acting. Terra's VA sounded like he was barely trying and a few of the Disney voices sounded "off".

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
Nomura as the new George Lucas, huh? He hasn't really created anything as great as "The Empire Strikes Back," but no one, especially Nomura, should be compared to George Lucas. At his worst Nomura is a little confusing with derpy writing and an unfocused narrative, there's nothing nearly as bad as "The Phantom Menace" or "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" on Nomura's resume, especially not in Kingdom Hearts.

Anagram

Banned
Nomura as the new George Lucas, huh? He hasn't really created anything as great as "The Empire Strikes Back," but no one, especially Nomura, should be compared to George Lucas. At his worst Nomura is a little confusing with derpy writing and an unfocused narrative, there's nothing nearly as bad as "The Phantom Menace" or "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" on Nomura's resume, especially not in Kingdom Hearts.

I can't tell which one is being insulted more by the comparison. lol

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
I can't tell which one is being insulted more by the comparison. lol

Like I said, apples to oranges. Lucas created a franchise that had a massive impact on pop culture. Most people, even if they don't like or care about sci-fi, will still be able to recognize Darth Vader, the lightsaber, Yoda, the stormtroopers, all the iconic noises... the list goes on. Kingdom Hearts, even at its very best, is nowhere close. That being said, most things aren't.

So, when Phantom Menace failed, it failed hard. Not only was it a bad movie on its own, but it also failed to uphold the huge precedent and legacy the franchise had created. KH doesn't have that kind of scale to even compare.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
Like I said, apples to oranges. Lucas created a franchise that had a massive impact on pop culture. Most people, even if they don't like or care about sci-fi, will still be able to recognize Darth Vader, the lightsaber, Yoda, the stormtroopers, all the iconic noises... the list goes on. Kingdom Hearts, even at its very best, is nowhere close. That being said, most things aren't.

So, when Phantom Menace failed, it failed hard. Not only was it a bad movie on its own, but it also failed to uphold the huge precedent and legacy the franchise had created. KH doesn't have that kind of scale to even compare.

Lol I just said that because "The Phantom Menace" is SUCH a shitty movie xD You have a point, though!

My point is that, no matter how much I might be mad at Nomura for plot contrivances and such, that NOTHING, NOTHING in the world will be as terrible as the writing Lucas shit out in "The Phantom Menace," "Attack of the Clones," and "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull."

EDIT: another similarity between star wars and kingdom hearts is that when the next sequel game/ movie came out, everyone hyped it up big time and made it seem way better than it was. If you watch Spoony on the Phantom Menace, you'll see how much shit he got early on because he called it a bad movie, but later everyone finally realized that The Phantom Menace was a shitty movie. Same thing happened with games like Birth by Sleep and 358/2 Days, I remember back when EVERYONE loved Xion and if anyone said anything bad about her ever the entire fanbase would come full force at them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back