• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Do I Need More RAM?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Byronic Hero

Resonance of Darkness
Awards
My computer's not necessarily slow, but when I try to watch higher quality videos IE Hulu, 720p Youtube, ect. and it'll give me the frame-by-frame effect.

I've read that RAM installation is pretty easy for a laptop.

I have an HP Pavilion dv8301nr AMD Turion 60 Mobile Processor ML-34 (1.8GHz, 1MB L2 Cache)
512MB System Memory, 80GB Hard Drive & 1.5 RAM already.

Is it a good idea to buy some more ram, I'd like to know 'fore I waste any money. Thanks.

D

Deleted member 71005

With your specs you would be better off buying a new computer, how old is your computer.

D

Deleted member 36435

You might as well get a new computer. You could easily double those specs for around 600 dollars.

Byronic Hero

Resonance of Darkness
Awards
Yeah, I know that much, but as a temporary fix, you think more ram would help?

chris.

Website
www.facebook.com
My computer's not necessarily slow, but when I try to watch higher quality videos IE Hulu, 720p Youtube, ect. and it'll give me the frame-by-frame effect.

I've read that RAM installation is pretty easy for a laptop.

I have an HP Pavilion dv8301nr AMD Turion 60 Mobile Processor ML-34 (1.8GHz, 1MB L2 Cache)
512MB System Memory, 80GB Hard Drive & 1.5 RAM already.

Is it a good idea to buy some more ram, I'd like to know 'fore I waste any money. Thanks.

Your system memory is your RAM, so... A bit confused. D:

Sorry to break it to you, but the reason that's happening to you is actually the graphics card you have.
It's not powerful enough to support 720p YouTube, or whatever else is making you lag.
If you can run YouTube lag-free, but lag in 720p, it's your graphics card, and to replace a laptop graphics card will be so much hassle and money, it won't be worth it, I suggest either making a quick build desktop PC, or saving up and buying a new laptop altogether.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

You've a fucking BEAST for a laptop.

^ lol.

Edit: My mistake, the problem is not the graphics card you have, the problem is that you have on-board graphics... So the problem is the graphics card that you don't have. /:

Last edited:
Awards
Website
sites.google.com
If you already have 1.5 GBs of RAM, getting more is hardly going to help you. Like everyone else has said, for the amount of money it would cost to upgrade your computer, you may as well just buy a new one.

D

Deleted member 36435

Yeah, I know that much, but as a temporary fix, you think more ram would help?
No, you have a laptop. You'll need one with a video card. You have one integrated into your motherboard which is always a bad idea.
If I were to suggest anything it would be to build your own PC. Which I know a lot of members of KHI would be willing to help you with, myself included.

chris.

Website
www.facebook.com
^That and hulu videos lag for me because of internet connection when watching in HD. I used to get 1 to 2 MB a second, now I get 500KB at the most.

That's a good point also.
Byronic Hero, does it lag because of your connection, or does it lag when you replay from the beginning after the video is fully loaded also?

No, you have a laptop. You'll need one with a video card. You have one integrated into your motherboard which is always a bad idea.
If I were to suggest anything it would be to build your own PC. Which I know a lot of members of KHI would be willing to help you with, myself included.

^ This.
I'm building my own at the moment also, so I wouldn't mind helping.
My old laptop had an integrated graphics card, and even basic YouTube lagged like hell, but even that integrated graphics card was being bottlenecked by the already slow processor it had in it. (1.6 single core)
My current laptop does have a dedicated video card though, so 720p YouTube runs well and without lag, the only things that lag at all are games, really.

Byronic Hero

Resonance of Darkness
Awards
Appreciate all the help guys, right now I'm kinda hurt for cash and am unemployed, so I think that at the moment, I can't afford to build a whole new computer, plus, even though my laptop is pretty old, all the other functions work pretty well.

Whenever I can gather a bit of money, y'all will be the first I ones to to get me started on that project.

chris.

Website
www.facebook.com
Appreciate all the help guys, right now I'm kinda hurt for cash and am unemployed, so I think that at the moment, I can't afford to build a whole new computer, plus, even though my laptop is pretty old, all the other functions work pretty well.

Whenever I can gather a bit of money, y'all will be the first I ones to to get me started on that project.

You're welcome Mr. Heroooooo. <3 XDD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back