• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Do I have to play as Riku?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

JettAE

Website
www.tagvoar.com
Okay, I have searched the internet, and these forums, but haven't found any proof of my questions, which is:
Is the story different in anyway when you play as Riku? Is it necessary to play as Riku to get the "whole" story?

Most guides just say, "After you beat the game you can play again as Riku," but some of the Gameshark codes function differently, and seem to effect Riku, in different ways, mainly the ones dealing with the Map. That makes me think that I should play through it twice, to get ever part of the story, plus, it seems like it would be odd to hear Goofy say, "Well gee Sora, don't worry!" and see a model of Riku standing there looking all emo.

I ask because I really love the story of Chain of Memories, but the game play is horrid. I greatly enjoy collecting the cards... but when I see Cloud Strife... stop attacking?... I'm like, hell no, screw this; and I don't want to half to play through this game again, if I don't have to, or if I could find a Gameshark code that would give me good cards, as in all 9's and 0's.
The Real Life card game is fun though.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any answers!

Detronilizer

So, what you're trying to say is that after finishing CoM with Sora, you can play the story again, but this time with Riku via Gameshark or something. No, you're a bit confused.

When you complete the story as Sora, you unlock Riku's side of the game called "Reverse Rebirth". You see, Riku also makes it to Castle Oblivion shortly after Sora does therefore he has his own story to go through, although his scenario takes place down in CO's twelve-floor basement rather than its thirteen main floors. Reverse Rebirth is Riku's story in CO involving his continuing struggle with the darkness within him, his relationship with various characters (King Mickey, Vexen, Lexaeus, Zexion, Ansem, and DiZ), and how he came to be how he was in KH2.

To put in short, it's a new story. Oh, and yes, it would help to "get the 'whole' story" by finishing Reverse Rebirth.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
You don't have to, but it helps to fill in gaps.

Coeurl

Demon Dance
∞;3867080 said:

this..

and you'll be surpirsed of what riku can do that sora can't in battle..

i suggest you play it..

Crimson Crusader

Sarcasmbot
Awards
∞;3867080 said:

yes if you dont like riku or dont wannaplay as him thats ur prob but i love to play as riku even though the game sets up his deck he is still kick-ass when he goes into Dark form.

Dark - Roxas

If you got nothing else to do the play it. You can have some fun and fill in some of the plotholes at the same time. BTW Riku's story is a bit different to Sora's.

Lancelot

It's the only NEET thing to do.
Awards
^It's more than just a bit different. And obviously there are more battles too, ie. The Organization members, and then there's the added cutscene at the end, and I think upon completing Reverse/Rebirth, you end up seeing the image of Roxas.

So it is worth it

Smile

Codename: D
Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
∞;3867080 said:

You also don't "have" to play Sora's part of Chain of Memories. Or KH1 or KH2 for that effect.

Story wise, you have to play Riku's Reverse-Rebirth mode. In a way, it gives a lot more relevant insight on the story and characters than Sora's side of CoM could ever hope to do. Especially with what I suspect we'll see in Days.
The ending scenes and credit scenes especially tie in with Days.

DarkRoxasNobody

I wanted to ask this question: How come in KH2 when you play as Riku you can't use Dark Form like in CoM? I know he still uses some Dark Powers like the Dark Bullet thing or the Dark Shield, but I would like to use all of his Dark Powers.

Smile

Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Riku being playable in KH2 was developed without Nomura's knowledge. Aside from them thankfully not going too overboard with it (the Lingering Sentiment's lack of canonity is a pain, so I'm glad they didn't cut loose on this too), there isn't really a reason for Riku to go all out Dark - assuming he still can use Dark form, after all.
He couldn't create Corridors of Darkness at the end of KH2, and Xehanort's Heartless was completely purified from his Being. Seeing how that had a lot to do with him being able to use Dark Form, I'd imagine XH being gone kind of left Riku without being able to use that form.
And that's aside from the simple fact that we don't know what really went on with him and the blindfold (here's to hoping this would be explained properly in Days. It might be that with the power struggles between him and XH, Dark Form was completely replaced by simply becoming Rikunort, but once that was out the window as well, Riku was left with a Keyblade and some energy shots.

Pheonex

I'll scorch your muffin.
i don't see why oyu shouldn't play it. There's a different story, and it shows you how Lexaeus and Zexion die.

A

Azrael

I would say no and I despise Riku's story out of the two but go for it if you like him.

Marly

All right, don't have a crap attack
Awards
Like others have said, no you don't have to, but you should. The battling on Riku's story is a lot different, he only gets his keyblade cards (sorry the name escapes me). So you don't have to worry about Cloud Strife discontinuing his attack =/

Smile

Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
The Soul Eater's not a Keyblade :v
And again I really disagree about the 'not have to play' part.
You don't have to play it in the sense you don't really have to play any game in the series at all. People play only KH2 and seem to live through it without ever bothering with KH1.
It's kind of an essential part of the story, hence - you have to play it in the sense you won't really get the story without it.

JettAE

Website
www.tagvoar.com
Wow, okay! Thanks guys! That is exactly what I was looking for. I'm glad that Riku's side of the story isn't anything like Sora's. That was my biggest fear, that I would have to play through the entire game again, but as Riku.
Don't get me wrong, I love Sora, and Riku (much more!) and everyone else, it's just that card system that drives me nuts.
I kinda look at Chain of Memories as something I need to play through, but once it is done, I can just skip over it next time I decide to play the entire series of Kingdom Hearts again.
But, yes, thanks again for all the input!

Smile

Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Re:CoM specifically has Theater mode, so most of what you really need, you get once you finish each part once.
Riku's Card system is a lot better than Sora's, imo, mostly because his level up system makes it easier, and at least for Re:CoM, the sleights are a lot more integrated into his regular fighting style (Card Duels anyone?).

As for the story, it's kind of impossible to play Sora's story as Riku, seeing how Riku's story affects Sora's story and vice Versra. More so than Riku not being fit to play Sora's role, Sora can't play Riku's role, as you'll see once you play. There have to be two different stories there.

Eva

~ ♥~ Grand Summoner~ ♥~
Awards
I liked Riku's slight character development--that and I loved the original KH:CoM <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back