• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

DNA test 'prove' that Jack The Ripper was a Polish immigrant named Aaron Kosminski

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

King Sora X

Legendary Member
Awards
THE search to uncover the identity of Jack the Ripper appears to be over.
DNA on a shawl found near one of the victims, Catherine Eddowes, reportedly contains a match to both her and one of the chief suspects, Aaron Kosminsky.

The Polish hairdresser, who moved to England with his family in 1881, was committed to a mental asylum at the peak of Ripper hysteria.

The breakthrough came when Dr Jari Louhelainen, an expert in historic DNA, was commissioned to study a shawl found with Eddowes, the second-last “confirmed” victim of the Ripper more than 125 years ago.

The shawl — which still retained historic stains — had been bought by a businessman at an auction in 2007.
“It has taken a great deal of hard work, using cutting-edge scientific techniques which would not have been possible five years ago,” Dr Louhelainen told a British newspaper.

“Once I had the profile, I could compare it to that of the female descendant of Kosminski’s sister, who had given us a sample of her DNA swabbed from inside her mouth.

“The first strand of DNA showed a 99.2 per cent match, as the analysis instrument could not determine the sequence of the missing 0.8 per cent fragment of DNA. On testing the second strand, we achieved a perfect 100 per cent match.”

Kosminski was born in Poland in 1865 before moving to Whitechapel, England, in 1881.

The murders attributed to Jack the Ripper began in 1888, with up to 11 deaths around the Whitechapel area linked to the killer.

Frances Coles, believed to be the Ripper’s last victim, died in February 1891 — the same year Kosminski was forcibly put in Colney Hatch Lunatic Asylum.

He remained in mental health facilities until his death in 1919, aged 53.

Source

I think this is pretty remarkable. The fact that DNA could be drawn from a body from that long ago is just simply amazing.

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
Jack the Ripper suspects - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I guess, I got proven wrong on what I heard a lot of Jack the Ripper being a surgeon, because how he treated the bodies of his victims were 'too crude' to have been done by a butcher or a doctor.

I am just curious if they found one piece of DNA for one of the victims of Jack the Ripper. Does that necessarily link him to the other victims?

D

Deleted member 36435

It's interesting but I'm not quite sure that I entirely trust the source. A businessman looking to protect his investment and only one scientist analyzing it. Hopefully we get the DNA peer tested and can find some more solid evidence.

Gram

Banned
Awards
I'm a bit skeptical as well but it'd be pretty cool if it ends up proven true by several sources.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
I'm skeptical too bit I'm not going to lie: part of me really wishes it isn't true. To keep the mystery alive. :/ Jack has become a legendary figure because we couldn't figure out who he was or what motive drove him. This would pretty much negate that.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
Looks like a cover up by the Queen's Dog. We all knew it was Madame Red.

All joking aside I'm amazed as to how much forensic science has evolved. I didn't know stains could contain DNA for that long.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
People are forgetting that that victim was a prostitute. Which means that that DNA could've gotten on her scarf in an entirely different event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back