• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Film ► Disney's Cruella - reboot of a remake of a classic

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I wouldn't mind all of these live action remakes if Disney would be at least attempting something newer in the live action department as well. Yeah Jungle Book was good, but I don't want them to remake every disney animated film at the cost of newer material

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
Well, I mean, Disney subsidiaries are making new films all the time. They use the Disney brand for Disney films, and let their other studios focus on non-Disney properties.

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards
There's just been a lot of hostility towards live action films, and as a, now two time, film student who wants to break into this industry and a fan of these films, it's very frustrating seeing people try to tear it down right from the announcement of the film. Plus your Tron comment in Maleficent sparked a series of Tron posts as well so I think you gotta step back and look at how you might be a leader to some users and you should use that power for good.

For good reason. I definitely wouldn't look at these films as 'quality' and hope you aren't either. You can like them all you want, but that doesn't make them good. As such, sure, Tron is a pretty flawed film, even a huge Tron-aficionado as me can admit that, but there was a lot of heart put into both films, unlike these which seem devoid of any soul to them.

I will say, the Haunted Mansion reboot by del Toro is gonna be amazing for obvious reasons.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
No offense, but I don't even like the original TRON film, much less the sequel. That must be why I see it as a double standard. I'd take any of these over another sequel to TRON.

Also, when's the last time a live-action Disney film wasn't trash? The first Pirates of the Caribbean? Their original films aren't that good either.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
I mean if you guys hate these live-action movies this much wouldn't it just be better to just... not pay attention to them? Let the people who do like them/are interested enjoy them and let yourself focus on things you do like in turn? Like clearly the trend isn't going to change any time soon. Just seems like a better use of all's time to just focus on what you love and what interests you instead of complaining and talking trash endlessly about the stuff you don't.

/shrug

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
I mean if you guys hate these live-action movies this much wouldn't it just be better to just... not pay attention to them? Let the people who do like them/are interested enjoy them and let yourself focus on things you do like in turn? Like clearly the trend isn't going to change any time soon. Just seems like a better use of all's time to just focus on what you love and what interests you instead of complaining and talking trash endlessly about the stuff you don't.

/shrug
True enough. It's not like these remakes are replacing the originals. And while they may not be as innovative as a brand-new IP, it's better to keep a steady stream of profit flowing so they can take their time on developing these new ideas.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
There's just been a lot of hostility towards live action films, and as a, now two time, film student who wants to break into this industry and a fan of these films, it's very frustrating seeing people try to tear it down right from the announcement of the film. Plus your Tron comment in Maleficent sparked a series of Tron posts as well so I think you gotta step back and look at how you might be a leader to some users and you should use that power for good.

okay i see what you mean. the reason i'm so into tron is mainly out of nostalgia and i'm sure if i watched it for the first time yesterday i wouldn't care for it.

i'm not totally against the live action movies. i was intrigued for tomorrowland before it let me down, i want to see jungle book, its not the live-action i'm against, its what sounds good to me or not. maybe cruella and rose red will be good, idk, but do they look good? are the concepts interesting? only time will tell i guess.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
I kind of think the main issue with all of these movies has been script. Like, the direction is usually good, the special effects are always good, costumes are fantastic, but the scripts... eh. I haven't had a story really strike me with the exception of Cinderella, the rest are not bad at best. I haven't seen Jungle Book yet, though, so I'm hoping Cinderella caused an upward swing of standards.

(And for the record, I wouldn't want another Tron if I were a Tron fan if it mean Kitsis and Horowitz were writing it - the guys are not good at anything beyond big ideas)

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards
I kind of think the main issue with all of these movies has been script.

^^^This. Granted, Maleficent's script actually had some nice parts (but then some ehh/mehh/why parts), but most of these films are doomed to fail/do fail with bad scripts. I've yet to see the Alice films, Cinderella, or Jungle Book yet, so maybe I'm more open to some of these ideas.

A Cruella film could be done really well and have a great villain without needing a sympathetic backstory and without needing a bigger rating than PG-13, as some people online think.

(And for the record, I wouldn't want another Tron if I were a Tron fan if it mean Kitsis and Horowitz were writing it - the guys are not good at anything beyond big ideas)

I don't think anyone does. I know a lot of people liked Uprising but I got pissed in the first episode because they completely retconned Rinzler being controlled and made him an "undercover" agent. I never saw past the first episode tbh.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I've yet to see the Alice films, Cinderella, or Jungle Book yet, so maybe I'm more open to some of these ideas.
You HAVE to see Cinderella, it was the best adaptation yet. And I recommend getting through the slightly average Alice so you know the world before you go see the looks-to-be highly improved sequel.

I'm off to see the Jungle Book tonight, which has pulled in over $600 million so far so it has done something right. I trust that my faith in it has not been misplaced and I will enjoy it.

Also: Disney Rules Hollywood's Fairy-Tale War as Other Studios Bite the Poisoned Apple - Hollywood Reporter

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
alice and wonderland is similar to tron legacy i think, not in the movie itself but they share

- nice effects
- ehh story
- decent to great acting (rip alan rickman, christopher lee)
- deep lore which needs expansion
- dat soundtrack

i loved it when it first came out but i haven't seen it since. i want to give it another watch.

my only problem with cinderella was my own issue of knowing the story, but they freshened it up and made it believable.

the real reason to watch is it's excellent cinematography, direction, soundtrack, visuals, etc. its a beautiful looking movie directed by kenneth brangh of thor fame. (at the end i joked "cinderella will return in the avengers", then they showed who directed it and i lost it).

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards
Audo said:

Strange words coming from the guy who likes to pick passively aggressive arguments with everyone.

A Cruella film could be done really well and have a great villain without needing a sympathetic backstory and without needing a bigger rating than PG-13, as some people online think.

If Into the Woods wasn't given a PG-13 rating, I doubt this will. PG-13 is somehow exclusive to the Pirates films.

I don't think anyone does. I know a lot of people liked Uprising but I got pissed in the first episode because they completely retconned Rinzler being controlled and made him an "undercover" agent. I never saw past the first episode tbh.

Well, Disney pissed off Boxlietner to the point of quitting so there's that. Unless he comes back, much as I'd love to see Sam and Quorra's cliffhanger continue, why even call it Tron? =/

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
alice and wonderland is similar to tron legacy i think, not in the movie itself but they share

- nice effects
- ehh story
- decent to great acting (rip alan rickman, christopher lee)
- deep lore which needs expansion
- dat soundtrack

i loved it when it first came out but i haven't seen it since. i want to give it another watch.
I left the cinema feeling a bit ehhh after seeing Alice in Wonderland. I feel like there wasn't enough substance for introductory reasons, which occurred because it was a continuation of Alice's adventures in Underland, despite this being the first one. The second one looks to be more focused, the characters more fleshed out, and the direction to be more consistent. I know people love Tim Burton but lately I think he's been falling flat so a new director is much appreciated.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
Strange words coming from the guy who likes to pick passively aggressive arguments with everyone
tumblr_o6fe1opSWQ1ugvzu5o1_500.gif

I left the cinema feeling a bit ehhh after seeing Alice in Wonderland. I feel like there wasn't enough substance for introductory reasons, which occurred because it was a continuation of Alice's adventures in Underland, despite this being the first one. The second one looks to be more focused, the characters more fleshed out, and the direction to be more consistent. I know people love Tim Burton but lately I think he's been falling flat so a new director is much appreciated.
Oh I didn't realize that someone different was directing the sequel. Anytime I saw stuff for it Tim Burton still seemed to be heavily name dropped.

Last edited:

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Oh I didn't realize that someone different was directing the sequel. Anytime I saw stuff for it Tim Burton still seemed to be heavily name dropped.
Burton is now the producer for the project. Someone who directed Flight of the Concords and the Muppet movies has taken on the new Alice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back