• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Disney/Pixar?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

jahob000

I've always wondered what the big deal was with these two. I remember when people used to fight over these two saying things like "That's not a Disney movie! It's Pixar!" Even when it came to Kingdom Hearts, people used to use that logic to say Pixar movies don't belong in Kingdom Hearts games.

That has never made any since to me. As far as I know, yes they've always been two different companies but they both always worked on the same type of stuff. In fact, I think they would share employees from both sides to do the jobs. To me, saying Pixar is not Disney is like saying, Walmart and the Walmart neighborhood market are not the same thing.

I'm trying to understand because I could definitely be way off with what I said above. Was Pixar it's own bigger entity back in day and Disney bought them out? Kinda like how they did with Marvel and Star Wars? Was Pixar always apart of Disney as kind of outsource and became their own thing later in the 90's?

Are there any long time Disney fans that care to explain?

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I never quite got the outcry over Pixar films in KH myself. Star Wars or Marvel I get but Pixar films are animated. How are they any different? Technically they would fit in the same category as TNBC.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I've always wondered what the big deal was with these two. I remember when people used to fight over these two saying things like "That's not a Disney movie! It's Pixar!" Even when it came to Kingdom Hearts, people used to use that logic to say Pixar movies don't belong in Kingdom Hearts games.

That has never made any since to me. As far as I know, yes they've always been two different companies but they both always worked on the same type of stuff. In fact, I think they would share employees from both sides to do the jobs. To me, saying Pixar is not Disney is like saying, Walmart and the Walmart neighborhood market are not the same thing.

I'm trying to understand because I could definitely be way off with what I said above. Was Pixar it's own bigger entity back in day and Disney bought them out? Kinda like how they did with Marvel and Star Wars? Was Pixar always apart of Disney as kind of outsource and became their own thing later in the 90's?

Oh maaaaaaaan. Okay.

Pixar began in 1979 as the Graphics Group, that was later bought by George Lucas to become a part of the Lucasfilm computer division. They made a bunch of experimental stuff and worked with Industrial Light & Magic on a bunch of special effects stuff in big motion picture films. Eventually some personal issues with George Lucas and the decrease in licensing revenue from Star Wars led to the Graphics Group to want to spin itself off into its own company again.

There is some history that I'm skipping but know it was mostly about what direction the company even wanted to go, which led to developing computer hardware while working on computer animated projects as a side thing, but eventually with Steve Jobs' help they were able to buy themselves out and become Pixar.

Walt Disney Studios bought a Pixar Image Computer with custom software written by Pixar so they could simplify the process of inking 2D stuff. This began the relationship between Pixar and Disney.

Their hardware business was experiencing some major rough patches due to their hardware not selling well privately or publicly. Meanwhile, John Lasseter is at Pixar developing animation demos to show off the power of their hardware and this starts catching the eyes of companies out there. They start making computer generated commercials for other companies and that starts netting them some minor success while their hardware business is crashing and burning.

Due to some miracle while they were just on the edge of probably going out of business, Pixar signed a big three-film deal with Disney. While they developed the film, the company continued to experience some awful rough patches. Steve Jobs was considering selling the company, but then reviews about Toy Story came out and then the film blew up into a major success...

And that was what put Pixar on the map.

Of course, shit hits the fan here too. Pixar begins working on Toy Story 2 as a direct-to-video movie and they get into some major disagreements with Disney on the status of the film within their 3-film deal. The film got upgraded to a theatrical release because of the success of Toy Story, but even with that Disney didn't want it to count as the second film in the deal they made with Pixar. Pixar wanted it to count for the deal, and they were also really frustrated that while the production and marketing costs were split evenly between the two companies, Disney retained all of the rights to the IP. Eventually they did count it for the deal, and the film was a major success like the first one but Pixar was still unhappy about the whole thing.

They got into some major fights after that, seeking to alter the terms of their contract so Disney only had distribution rights while still having right of first refusal if they didn't like the project pitched to them. Pixar also wanted to maintain the rights and distribution rights of the projects they had started working on at the time that they didn't view as being a part of the deal they struck with Disney but Disney didn't want to agree with it. In 2004, Pixar's relationship with Disney completely broke down and Pixar began shopping projects to other studios while self-releasing the Incredibles in that period.

Then Eisner left Disney and Pixar was more open to negotiating with Disney again. Then Pixar decided to enter an acquisition deal with Disney. The talks weren't looking that great because they were still having a lot of fights about IP rights and distribution rights and it was almost about to fall apart AGAIN but the deal went through in 2006 and all was well (and Steve Jobs was laughing it all the way to the bank because he got his revenge on Eisner, holding more shares in Disney than him lol)

After that even though Pixar was owned by Disney, it operated independently from Walt Disney Studios up until John Lasseter took over WDAS as its president and took his revenge on 2D animation by gutting the whole department and refocusing on CG films, leading Disney into its golden Revival era starting with Tangled. WDAS began to adopt Pixar's ideology on film creation being about story first (or whatever) and began to share processes between studios.

At this point, they still operate independently in terms of not working on each other's projects, but there is much more workflow, resource, and staff sharing going on ow than before.

ALL OF THAT SAID~

Pixar was not Disney. It is Disney now in that they are owned by Disney and they are much closer than before, especially with Merida being a Pixar creation but considered a part of the Disney Princess brand, but it isn't Disney because they work on distinctly different kinds of films.

That history is why people get upset when others say Pixar is Disney. Pixar worked hard to create its legacy and create a style and form of storytelling that was all its own. They fought really hard against Disney, and I think that is a legacy worth remembering before saying Disney and Pixar work on the same stuff.

(NOTE: I've always wanted Pixar in KH so I can't talk much about that weird belief. I think people who don't want Pixar in KH have forgotten what it is like to be a kid)

Last edited:

jahob000

Pixar was not Disney. It is Disney now in that they are owned by Disney and they are much closer than before, especially with Merida being a Pixar creation but considered a part of the Disney Princess brand, but it isn't Disney because they work on distinctly different kinds of films.

That history is why people get upset when others say Pixar is Disney. Pixar worked hard to create its legacy and create a style and form of storytelling that was all its own. They fought really hard against Disney, and I think that is a legacy worth remembering before saying Disney and Pixar work on the same stuff.

(NOTE: I've always wanted Pixar in KH so I can't talk much about that weird belief. I think people who don't want Pixar in KH have forgotten what it is like to be a kid)

Wow, that was a lot of history! I suppose maybe people didn't want Pixar in Kingdom Hearts is because it wasn't made BY Disney themselves. I still don't see why that would be their reasoning though. Because based on some of the things you've stated, their first big thing was Toy Story which was incredible! In fact I was reading a few short articles on how Pixar was always superior to Disney. At least in terms of true creation. Disney was more like a big business production line focused on product and image more than quality. Whereas Pixar was like a little shop but put their heart and souls into their creations.

I also read that in the 80's was Disney's weakest time periods and it wasn't until they got some new guy and then they had the great originals that came along in the 90's. Aladdin, The little Mermaid, Lion King and Hercules.

Also do you remember The Brave Little Toaster? I remember the cover and it had Disney and Pixar on it. I think that movie came out in 1988. Is that one of the times when Disney was using Pixar's equipment? Is that probably why they had their name on it?

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Just because the films are animated doesn't mean they are the same. Just like you can tell Dreamworks and Ghibli films apart from one another, PIXAR had its own vibe until Lasseter took over WDAS and essentially started pumping out PIXAR films via WDAS, just with a "Disney" glaze on top (female protagonists, songs, etc.). I'm glad he isn't in control anymore.

Although one reason I never wanted them in KH is that I consider PIXAR an acquisition just like Marvel, Star Wars, Fox, etc, the main reason is that I don't like most PIXAR films.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Not all Disney films share the same "vibe" at the same time though. Not all of their films are musicals, star Disney Princesses, or share the shame beats and tropes.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Not all Disney films share the same "vibe" at the same time though. Not all of their films are musicals, star Disney Princesses, or share the shame beats and tropes.

I guess it's a good thing I didn't say musicals or Disney princesses were what Disney's "vibe" was then.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I guess it's a good thing I didn't say musicals or Disney princesses were what Disney's "vibe" was then.

I know but those are what some people usually associate standard Disney films with Despite Pixar films having their own vibe I don't see them any differently then any of the other Disney worlds in KH.

Especially since a lot of Disney works have their own varied style.

Last edited:

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
In the late 90s and early 2000s (and even now by plenty of people) Pixar was thought to be more innovative in their storytelling and the types of characters they'd base a story around. this is why Shrek, which will be a world in KH4, made fun of Disney so much in the first movie, because the public was growing weary of Disney's formula; which hilariously enough, Disney was breaking away from around the same time, but everyone ignored it

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards

It all boils down to in-house vs. acquisition. A lot of people are in denial that Marvel is part of the Disney family because Disney keeps the Marvel brand distinct.

Even though Pixar has always used Disney as their distributor for movies, it will always be an inorganic brand, because they were an indipendant company before being bought out. And some folks just prefer to stick with the organic Disney brands for Kingdom Hearts.

DizneyXBirds95

Awards
TBH, I'm not one of those people that were against having Pixar in KH. In fact even before/after Pixar's acquisition by Disney I actually was interested in wanting Pixar to appear in the KH games given that it would provide Nomura and his team new ideas for worlds if they can't find any Disney movies (both Live-action and animated features canon) they can use as worlds.

Regarding Marvel and Lucasfilm (mainly Star Wars) in KH, I just want to flat out say I just don't know if these properties would work as worlds particularly the latter as their just so many stories and locations that it would be hard to choose which one to pick as a world(s).

SomeKHFan

Awards
this is why Shrek, which will be a world in KH4,

Wait, What? Why would Shrek be in KH4? It's owned by Dreamworks animation, which is owned by Universal Pictures/ NBCUniversal, not Disney or Pixar. There's no chance that it would be in KH4 (unless Disney acquires Dreamworks).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back