• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

DISNEY Characters you think should've gotten a bigger role throughout the series?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

AR829038

Awards
Nomura's also the one that turned down the idea of Donald being the protagonist & insisted on making his own character. There's also a stark contrast in the writing of KH1 to the rest of the series. Disney characters mattered in KH1, the Disney villains drove the plot. From CoM onwards, the Disney characters are relegated more & more to filler while the number of spotlight-stealing OCs reach into the dozens. It's like he played it safe for his 1st game but once he found success, his ego took over.
The lack of Disney character importance in Chain of Memories wasn't Nomura's ego. Square Enix wanted Nomura to make a port of the original Kingdom Hearts for the GameBoy Advance, because back in those days the popular thing to do was to make sure a game could be accessible both at home and on the go. But Nomura didn't like the idea of wasting his time just remaking a game (ironic, I know) and instead decided to go above and beyond and make it a sequel with an original story. But because the idea wasn't meant for it to be a sequel right from the get-go, the mechanisms for talking with Disney about which movies they could work with weren't set up. And, as Nomura has stated, working with Disney in terms of getting access to their movies has been a constant "teeth-pulling process" over the years, so he probably just didn't want to deal with them just for the sake a handheld game that would only act as an interim title.

disney233

Awards
I actually really like theidea of going through each world and picking up a travel companion as you leave, imagine the possibilities at play there for a whole new solo sora game that gains members to his party and by the end you have 7 party members with a max use of 2-3 in the field at once allowing you to specialize the team going in to the enemy you are facing would allow kh to be harder and add more of a strategic element to the series.
Donald - Black Mage
Goofy - Guardian
Leon - Warrior
Yuffie - Ninja
Aerith - White Mage
Genie - No idea tbh. Like....What class could you give an all-powerful genie free from his lamp?
Tinker Bell - White Mage

....nuff said.

disney233

Awards
The lack of Disney character importance in Chain of Memories wasn't Nomura's ego. Square Enix wanted Nomura to make a port of the original Kingdom Hearts for the GameBoy Advance, because back in those days the popular thing to do was to make sure a game could be accessible both at home and on the go. But Nomura didn't like the idea of wasting his time just remaking a game (ironic, I know) and instead decided to go above and beyond and make it a sequel with an original story. But because the idea wasn't meant for it to be a sequel right from the get-go, the mechanisms for talking with Disney about which movies they could work with weren't set up. And, as Nomura has stated, working with Disney in terms of getting access to their movies has been a constant "teeth-pulling process" over the years, so he probably just didn't want to deal with them just for the sake a handheld game that would only act as an interim title.
I always wondered what was the point of Sora's Disney journey in CO. They all had little to do with the plot, aside from the last 3 floors. Also, I don't understand why Riku journeyed to the worlds. Weren't the cards crafted from his memory too? Agrabah, Neverland, Monstro, and Traverse Town he at least journeyed to. The rest had nothing to do with him.

SomeKHFan

Awards
I wish Pluto got more of a mention. Especially in figuring out how he travelled to various worlds.

As I mentioned in another thread, if we ever got 'A Bug's Life' world, I would want Jiminy to be a party member. He would feel much more useful there.

Although, to previous comments on taking characters as party members to other worlds, this would be a bit more difficult from the fact they would have to give them different designs for certain worlds to fit the 'world order'......like Mermen Aladdin in Atlantica or Zombie Ariel in Halloween Town.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I always wondered what was the point of Sora's Disney journey in CO. They all had little to do with the plot, aside from the last 3 floors. Also, I don't understand why Riku journeyed to the worlds. Weren't the cards crafted from his memory too? Agrabah, Neverland, Monstro, and Traverse Town he at least journeyed to. The rest had nothing to do with him.
I think he was exploring Sora's memories too... and/or Riku visited those worlds, but we just never saw it.

I go back and forth on the idea of picking up a Disney hero with each world visit. It would mean incorporating even MORE characters into the main story. Not only that, but consider if you picked up party members in each world in KH3, by the time you reach San Fransokyo you would have Hercules, Woody & Buzz (how do you explain them working outside their world?), Rapunzel & Flynn, Anna & Elsa, Mike & Sulley, and Jack Sparrow. So instead of having the fun experience of seeing Sora, Donald, and Goofy enjoying San Fransokyo, we now have to see a huge muddled mess of a variety of Disney characters interacting in San Fransokyo.

If you look back on KH1, it would be Tarzan, Aladdin, Ariel, Jack Skellington, Peter Pan, and The Beast joining you... and I just feel it wouldn't work. Like I am all for Disney cross-overs, I have longed for villains to fight in a world outside of their own (like Jafar in Halloween Town or something) or for different villains to interact with other heroes (like Ariel and Maleficent), but ultimately I just don't think it would work in KH.

Back to the thread, I think Hades has the potential to get a bigger role in future installments. They can easily have him transition into a Maleficent role, except he is out for revenge on Sora for ruining his plans for Hercules (don't even revisit Olympus). He has the power to travel to other worlds clearly and is the only survivor from the original villain team-up (except for maybe Ursula/Hook)?

I also kind of hoped that The Evil Queen would have done more. I could see her as an ultimate mastermind. She's not a fighter, but I would have loved to see her pulling the strings.

But if there is one character that I always thought could have done WAY more, it's Jafar. He is so iconic and his powers sort of lent itself to working in Kingdom Hearts. Especially if they let him run loose as Genie Jafar in KH2, like after he was freed from the lamp he used his genie powers to traverse to different worlds and he teamed up with Maleficent to take on Xemnas for revenge or something.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
But if there is one character that I always thought could have done WAY more, it's Jafar. He is so iconic and his powers sort of lent itself to working in Kingdom Hearts. Especially if they let him run loose as Genie Jafar in KH2, like after he was freed from the lamp he used his genie powers to traverse to different worlds and he teamed up with Maleficent to take on Xemnas for revenge or something.
It's weird how nobody wants to utilize Jafar's wish-granting powers in KH2. Everyone in OrgXIII has something he could've given them & Pete just wanted to turn him into a heartless.

disney233

Awards
I think he was exploring Sora's memories too... and/or Riku visited those worlds, but we just never saw it.

I go back and forth on the idea of picking up a Disney hero with each world visit. It would mean incorporating even MORE characters into the main story. Not only that, but consider if you picked up party members in each world in KH3, by the time you reach San Fransokyo you would have Hercules, Woody & Buzz (how do you explain them working outside their world?), Rapunzel & Flynn, Anna & Elsa, Mike & Sulley, and Jack Sparrow. So instead of having the fun experience of seeing Sora, Donald, and Goofy enjoying San Fransokyo, we now have to see a huge muddled mess of a variety of Disney characters interacting in San Fransokyo.

If you look back on KH1, it would be Tarzan, Aladdin, Ariel, Jack Skellington, Peter Pan, and The Beast joining you... and I just feel it wouldn't work. Like I am all for Disney cross-overs, I have longed for villains to fight in a world outside of their own (like Jafar in Halloween Town or something) or for different villains to interact with other heroes (like Ariel and Maleficent), but ultimately I just don't think it would work in KH.

Back to the thread, I think Hades has the potential to get a bigger role in future installments. They can easily have him transition into a Maleficent role, except he is out for revenge on Sora for ruining his plans for Hercules (don't even revisit Olympus). He has the power to travel to other worlds clearly and is the only survivor from the original villain team-up (except for maybe Ursula/Hook)?

I also kind of hoped that The Evil Queen would have done more. I could see her as an ultimate mastermind. She's not a fighter, but I would have loved to see her pulling the strings.

Hook's literally the only other survivor of Maleficent's council. In regards to Evil Queen, I personally felt the Magic Mirror could have more to do. It's a Mirror that knows everything. It could be useful for either party, be it the Guardians, the Organization, or Maleficent & Pete.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Merlin! Merlin has been a favorite of mine since the very first Kingdom Hearts game. I have never even seen the Sword in the Stone movie. I'm always happy to see him in every KH game he appears in, even if he's just there to pass off Winnie the Pooh's storybook. I feel he should have a bigger role. He's helping to train Lea and Kairi, show it. He played such a nice role in KH2 I want to see him continue to help the good guys. It would be hilarious if he was still in Twilight Town and constantly bugs Axel if he's keeping up with the training. Or if there is some magical problem he leads the group to solving the issue.

The Summon/Link characters. KH is filled with deus ex machinas that show up and leave just as quickly. Instead of those why not have the link characters pop up to help Sora and friends out of a tight spot. Character's like Genie, Mushu, Tinker Bell, Ralph, Stitch, and the like could really feel like allies helping Sora on his adventures.

Daisy and Minnie. I really love the Cornerstone of Light event in KH2 because it showed how powerful and useful Minnie was as both a character and a party member. I wish she was more involved. Daisy too! I want to think her magic skills are close to Donald's. They'd make a powerful magic couple :p

Scrooge Mcduck. One of my favorite Disney characters of all time. I enjoyed his roles in KH2, BBS, and KH3. I want him to become the mayor of Twilight Town and open up businesses in every world in KH, original and Disney. Plus I want to see Roxas and his friends work with him to earn their ice cream money.

Clarabelle and Horace. They appear very rarely in the series, but I wish they'd do more with them. After reading up on their history on Youtube I would enjoy Goofy and Clarabelle interactions.

Aladdin and Jasmine. I feel these two are just as close to Sora and friends, as Hercules, Phil, and Meg are. And while they did get good showings throughout the series, I wouldn't mind returning to Agrabah one last time for their wedding. Sora deserves to be there.

POH/Princesses of Heart. They should be more important and explain how they pass their powers. Have them mentor Kairi on how to use her light powers and control them.

Eonstar890

Awards
The way KH does world building and highlights the importance of maintaining world order makes it hard for me to see having Disney characters world hopping all over the place. It would be nice to see more Disney character involvement in Traverse Town, but not much farther than that. The only exceptions being the villains led by Maleficent and the Princesses of Heart.

That being said, these are the characters I would like to have more importance. Having the princesses interact with each other would be so cool and also I have always pictured Hollow Bastion from KH1 being way better as a boss gauntlet where you have to reface all the villains. I enjoyed the interaction between Maleficent and Hades in KH3 and simple things like that are nice for continuity sake.

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I'd rather see less of the Mickey and Pals characters in the games... Its just hard to take certain scenes seriously when listening to those ridiculous sounding voices. I love the core group, but I definitely think the royalty aspect limits their character involvement as well. I would so much rather Minnie be a regular gal like she is in Mickey shorts instead of some dainty queen who needs to stay in her palace. We have heard daisy talk a total of like two scenes, and being Minnie's handmaiden is so unlike her actual character in every other media. As far as all the other characters, keeping them in Disney town and making that a more regular world like radiant garden or twilight town would be good enough to me. Please no more talking animals all over the place like its completely normal and not at all awkward. This to me has been the main drawback of the numbered titles.

For me the better way to give Disney characters better involvement would be the way they interact with the protagonist visiting their world. Some great examples being Sulley and Vanitas or Belle with Xaldin. More seamless integration like that would be awesome where it feels like these are actual characters interacting and not a story being told with Sora and the Organization sort of just watching it happen. (This was especially bad in Corona and Arendelle, but Im sure y'all already knew that)

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Hook's literally the only other survivor of Maleficent's council. In regards to Evil Queen, I personally felt the Magic Mirror could have more to do. It's a Mirror that knows everything. It could be useful for either party, be it the Guardians, the Organization, or Maleficent & Pete.
Now I'm just picturing Yen Sid finding out about the Mirror in the decade between BBS and KH1 and bringing back to the tower to hang on the wall :D.

Of course if they had a magical mirror that knew everything some of the series conflicts may have ended a bit too easily

DizneyXBirds95

Awards
I think Captain Hook is still alive, cause in 358/2 Days he is shown to be still alive only distraught that the Ruler of the Skies Heartless destroyed the Jolly Roger.

Personally, I don't mind if Hades becomes another antagonist in the vein of Maleficent, I just don't want to just revisit Olympus/Olympus Coliseum again cause after Kingdom Hearts III I say the story for that world is already done.

disney233

Awards
Personally, I don't mind if Hades becomes another antagonist in the vein of Maleficent, I just don't want to just revisit Olympus/Olympus Coliseum again cause after Kingdom Hearts III I say the story for that world is already done.
And for Olympus it'a clear that Nomura can't think of anything besides story rehash or a tournament story. I personally see no reason to enjoy tournaments. Especially in KH2. Why people want them back is beyond me, but I digress.

Off my tangent, I'd like to add that Scar & Jafar had potential to be more than boss fodder. Jafar is a shameful one at that given how...poor his Genie boss battles are. Scar just seemed to be....there.

Also adding Evil Queen & Lady Tramaine. Had potential but not at all, according to Nomura.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I think Captain Hook is still alive, cause in 358/2 Days he is shown to be still alive only distraught that the Ruler of the Skies Heartless destroyed the Jolly Roger.

Yeah, I hope Olympus doesn't come back for a long while (if ever). Hades definitely has merit as a villain outside of that world and I can see him changing his sights from Herc to Sora easily, especially after what Sora did to his master plan.

I also think that another world can have the tournaments, but they need to be in the vein of KH1. The KH2 tournaments were kind of pointless because you didn't even get experience while doing them.

I really wish (no pun intended) that Jafar would come back for a proper Genie and Snake fight. I was always disappointed by his Genie fights (probably the hardest in CoM simply because of the gameplay mechanics).

I have no idea how Scar could have worked beyond The Pride Lands.

disney233

Awards
Yeah, I hope Olympus doesn't come back for a long while (if ever). Hades definitely has merit as a villain outside of that world and I can see him changing his sights from Herc to Sora easily, especially after what Sora did to his master plan.

I also think that another world can have the tournaments, but they need to be in the vein of KH1. The KH2 tournaments were kind of pointless because you didn't even get experience while doing them.

I really wish (no pun intended) that Jafar would come back for a proper Genie and Snake fight. I was always disappointed by his Genie fights (probably the hardest in CoM simply because of the gameplay mechanics).

I have no idea how Scar could have worked beyond The Pride Lands.
I feel like I'm the only one here who doesn't see Jafar only as boss fodder... I mean, even he has more potential than...just existing so we can fight Snake Jafar. In any case, the same as the Hercules series, Jafar has a chance to come back through Hades, and they both can team up on some overreaching goal that benefits the both of them, as well as some revenge on Sora, in due time. I can honestly see a team-up between Hades, Jafar, and Hook.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I feel like I'm the only one here who doesn't see Jafar only as boss fodder... I mean, even he has more potential than...just existing so we can fight Snake Jafar. In any case, the same as the Hercules series, Jafar has a chance to come back through Hades, and they both can team up on some overreaching goal that benefits the both of them, as well as some revenge on Sora, in due time. I can honestly see a team-up between Hades, Jafar, and Hook.
I don't want Jafar to be just boss fodder. I would love for him to return and team up with Hades (didn't that happen in an episode of the Hercules TV show?) I just really want a Snake Jafar boss fight and a proper Genie Jafar boss fight (not hitting Iago while Jafar just looks big and is untouchable in the background).

OrionGold

Awards
I think another character who should have a bigger role is Santa Claus from The Nightmare Before Christmas. Him, Jack, and some other important people are in charge of running holidays. For Santa, he literally travels the multiverse delivering people gifts. He has a list of basically everybody's names to know whether they're nice or naughty. If anything, he could be the go-to guy for picking information on certain people.

Kirankrt

i'd love to see Dr Facilier in the games. Have him basically be a man so bathed in darkness, he resides in the Realm of Darkness after his world was destroyed, using the remains of a castle like world or something, brought back by Hades. Yeah, I know Disney won't allow it, but man, he'd be a great Disney villain in the games outside of the boundaries of his world.

Heck, have Yen Sid be very cautious of him as well.

D

Deleted member 246005

I think another character who should have a bigger role is Santa Claus from The Nightmare Before Christmas. Him, Jack, and some other important people are in charge of running holidays. For Santa, he literally travels the multiverse delivering people gifts. He has a list of basically everybody's names to know whether they're nice or naughty. If anything, he could be the go-to guy for picking information on certain people.
There was a Nightmare before Christmas game where Jack visited other holiday towns so maybe that could be a future spinoff?

Back