• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

DISNEY Characters you think should've gotten a bigger role throughout the series?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

disney233

Awards
Throughout the ENTIRE game. The way it looks, it literally just looks like the only Disney characters to exist in the game ONLY consist of Donald, Goofy, Mickey, Yen Sid, Pete, & Maleficent. KH3 didn't really help...given how VERY little Pete & Maleficent had to do with the plot. They have literally a total of (5-6 I think) scenes throughout the entire game. And the Organization mentions the Princesses of Hearts, but they had VERY little part to play in the grand scheme of things. Disney's reign on their characters is just...infuriating at best, and it's greatly seen in 3, and it...makes me nervous. Disney, Final Fantasy, there has to be a middle ground between the two. Not just... a mess of original characters, making both Disney AND FF inferior.

That being said there are many characters throughout the entire series, that I feel should've had a bigger role throughout the game, than the role given to them. Disney characters that are both in the game and not in the game. Disney characters be it hero or villain that can contribute to the series more than just boss fodder or summon fodder. I mean...the only reason people want to go back to Beast Castle is to just fight Gaston. If THAT'S not boss fodder, idk what is.

I can start by saying I wish Genie & Tink ACTUALLY journeyed together with Donald & Goofy rather than just secluding them into summons, despite being the only two non-summoning gems. It never made sense to me, if Genie wanted to explore the world and help bring Jasmine back, he could've easily stayed apart of the plot. Peter entrusted Tinker Bell to Sora, so...I don't quite see why she couldn't join in the group.

I think we all have our list of original characters who we wished had a bigger role in the series...We all know which original character IN SPECIFIC, should've had a bigger role throughout the series. Yeah...she knows EXACTLY who it is. But, other than the usual cast of Mickey, Donald, Goofy, Jiminy, Yen Sid, Pete, & Maleficent, we haven't really named the world fodder- I mean Disney characters in and out of the game, that should/should've had bigger roles than what they've been given.

So let's cut to the chase. Which Disney characters do you think should've had a bigger role than what they've been given?

AR829038

Awards
I've gotta say, I actually think Jiminy Cricket has gotten the biggest shaft of all the world-traversing Disney characters throughout the series. I mean, he's with SDG all the time through all of their adventures, but you so often forget he's even there. He rarely has any dialogue with any of the three, and you never really get a sense that he's a part of the group. In reality, it shouldn't be SDG but SDGJ, and yet J is almost always left to the wayside.
As for other Disney characters, I think the series is in desperate need of a villain besides Maleficent and Pete. I don't care if they join together with them or just are off doing their own thing, but the dearth of Disney villains in this Disney-centric series is really starting to show. As much as I love the og characters, I secretly pine for the good old days when it felt like there was a whole syndicate of Disney villains working against you with a larger threat looming in the background. Ever since KH1, the Disney baddies besides Maleficent just haven't gotten anything to do outside of repeat their own self-contained stories. To this day, I still think one of the best villains they ever handled besides Maleficent was the MCP from Space Paranoids in KH2, who actually had his own plan going on and was a genuine threat to the world of Hollow Bastion/Radiant Garden. I CRAVE for those kinds of dynamics to show up again!
But alas, as long as Disney continues to chain all their properties by the neck, I doubt we'll get more interesting conflicts like that. To be honest, it's a wonder how Nomura has even managed to retain Maleficent and Pete's independent role in the larger narrative, even if it has been greatly diminished.

DizneyXBirds95

Awards
I've gotta say, I actually think Jiminy Cricket has gotten the biggest shaft of all the world-traversing Disney characters throughout the series. I mean, he's with SDG all the time through all of their adventures, but you so often forget he's even there. He rarely has any dialogue with any of the three, and you never really get a sense that he's a part of the group. In reality, it shouldn't be SDG but SDGJ, and yet J is almost always left to the wayside.
As for other Disney characters, I think the series is in desperate need of a villain besides Maleficent and Pete. I don't care if they join together with them or just are off doing their own thing, but the dearth of Disney villains in this Disney-centric series is really starting to show. As much as I love the og characters, I secretly pine for the good old days when it felt like there was a whole syndicate of Disney villains working against you with a larger threat looming in the background. Ever since KH1, the Disney baddies besides Maleficent just haven't gotten anything to do outside of repeat their own self-contained stories. To this day, I still think one of the best villains they ever handled besides Maleficent was the MCP from Space Paranoids in KH2, who actually had his own plan going on and was a genuine threat to the world of Hollow Bastion/Radiant Garden. I CRAVE for those kinds of dynamics to show up again!
But alas, as long as Disney continues to chain all their properties by the neck, I doubt we'll get more interesting conflicts like that. To be honest, it's a wonder how Nomura has even managed to retain Maleficent and Pete's independent role in the larger narrative, even if it has been greatly diminished.
I absolutely agree with your thoughts and opinions regarding which characters need more expansion. For Jiminy in KH3, at least we saw more of him (sort of) compared to his previous appearances (especially KH2).

And also regarding the MCP, no doubt about it in fact he actually tried to take over Hollow Bastion/Radiant Garden three times. The first when he attempt a self-destruct button to the Town before Tron changed the password, the second when he attempted to send the Hostile Program and the third when he re-activated the Heartless manufacturer letting the digital Heartless cause chaos in town and corrupting the claymores. It's unfortunate most people don't give Space Paranoids credit cause it was one of the few Disney worlds in KH2 that had an overall importance to the story (aside from Beast's Castle).

disney233

Awards
I absolutely agree with your thoughts and opinions regarding which characters need more expansion. For Jiminy in KH3, at least we saw more of him (sort of) compared to his previous appearances (especially KH2).

And also regarding the MCP, no doubt about it in fact he actually tried to take over Hollow Bastion/Radiant Garden three times. The first when he attempt a self-destruct button to the Town before Tron changed the password, the second when he attempted to send the Hostile Program and the third when he re-activated the Heartless manufacturer letting the digital Heartless cause chaos in town and corrupting the claymores. It's unfortunate most people don't give Space Paranoids credit cause it was one of the few Disney worlds in KH2 that had an overall importance to the story (aside from Beast's Castle).
Aaaaaaaand adding that to a list of importance. Looking back at it, I saw no reason WHY Tron couldn't help Zexion in KH3 in regards to recompiling Ansem's research data. Or at least some sort of security footage that recorded all the happenings in Hollow Bastion, especially Aqua's fight with Terranort, OR uncovering the secret behind the Chamber of Repose...y'know the one plotline that Nomura decided to touch upon but never did again?

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Yes, I loved Jiminy's role as part of the group in CoM. A shame he pretty much disappeared after that, for the most part.

Characters I wish had a bigger role: Minnie, Scrooge (for some reason I could've pictured him as mayor of Traverse Town in KH1), Scrooge and Donald's nephews, Max Goof (should've been added in KH2 at the same time as Pete, imo), Jafar and Hades post-KH1, the Princesses of Heart (they're practically just names on a paper and have no function or relevance post-KH1). I wouldn't have minded seeing Genie and Tinker Bell occasionally appear as cameos throughout Sora's journey. For example, Tinker Bell appearing when Sora's lost somewhere w/out D&G or surrounded by darkness.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Jimminy Cricket of course for reasons others have pointed out. It's baffling he disappeared completely after his one scene in KH2 despite having such a prominent role in the prior game. At least he had some important scenes in KH3 in Yen Sid's tower and the abyss.

Aside from him I wish they gave some focus on Donald's nephews. They aren't really even characters in the series and I think there is some potential with them. Why not make them wizards in training?

disney233

Awards
All of this talk of other Mickey Mouse characters like Max Goof, & Huey, Dewey, & Louie makes me wish the other characters of Disney town had importance. Mickey's got nephews and Minnie's got, nieces. Daisy got nieces, Pete's got a son, Big Bad Wolf's got a son...I can imagine this school of Magic or...something, so they can all train for the outside world, like Tiny Toon's ACME Looniversity. And each character would train under different Final Fantasy classes other than Mage & Guardian.

Soldier

Awards
I can safely say that Stitch is one of those characters that thematically should have a greater role. Not only is he one of the strongest Disney characters both in his original story and KH (Jumba even SAYS "He is bulletproof, fireproof and can think faster than a supercomputer). So why not utilize him in more scenes. Aside from partaking in the battle of 1000 heartless and being a driving force in radiant garden he isn't used very much. It makes sense that he can world hop because that's literally one of his defining characteristics in the series as a whole. (also I think if they added some of the other experiments as boss fights would be a pretty neat edition).

disney233

Awards
I can safely say that Stitch is one of those characters that thematically should have a greater role. Not only is he one of the strongest Disney characters both in his original story and KH (Jumba even SAYS "He is bulletproof, fireproof and can think faster than a supercomputer). So why not utilize him in more scenes. Aside from partaking in the battle of 1000 heartless and being a driving force in radiant garden he isn't used very much. It makes sense that he can world hop because that's literally one of his defining characteristics in the series as a whole. (also I think if they added some of the other experiments as boss fights would be a pretty neat edition).
He was more connective to TAV than Sora. Maybe he could've helped Riku & Mickey in the Realm of Darkness.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Short answer: All of them.

In general, I sometimes feel that I would've preferred the Square/Disney RPG collaboration to be more of a Mario RPG with Disney characters as the leads than Nomura's vanity project occasionally guest-starring Disney.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I'd add Hades as well since he is such a fun and dynamic villain who really should have more to do outside of Olympus.

Of course since Nomura recently mentioned he really liked that character there is a chance that could change next saga

D

Deleted member 246005

I think if I had to adapt KH without the rights to FF, I would replace them with other characters. I don't have a list of replacements yet but off the top of my head, I would use Prince Phillip of Enchanted Dominion to fill Leon's role in the first game.

Instead of Maleficient coming back and doing zilch I'd replace her with other Disney Villians. DDD would have had the Phantom Blot as the villain. Pete would have better chemistry with Cinderella's stepsisters or Mortimer Mouse. I'm hoping Dr. Facilier pops up in NotShibuya because he's got friends on the other side. ;)

Some of the Nobodies should have been Disney characters as it would have been easier to explore what nobodies through a character we are likely to know.

Last edited by a moderator:

AR829038

Awards
Short answer: All of them.

In general, I sometimes feel that I would've preferred the Square/Disney RPG collaboration to be more of a Mario RPG with Disney characters as the leads than Nomura's vanity project occasionally guest-starring Disney.
Well now, don't go blaming Nomura for that. Nomura has actually been the one most pushing for better integration of the Disney characters. It's Disney's fault it doesn't happen. They're ridiculously overprotective of their IP, and for some reason they hate the idea of their own characters getting mixed up with each other and interacting (GOD FORBID! CROSSING OVER IN A CROSSOVER!) They're so damn picky about the idea that they won't even let them appear in other worlds as simple Summons anymore, that's why Nomura had to use legal trickery to get the summon characters in KH3 as Links by making them all elemental and claiming they weren't really technically the same characters.
The fact is, for as much as people like to bash Nomura as a storyteller for his constant retcons and strange narrative decisions (and I am often one to join in the bashing when it's warranted), Disney is actually the greatest hindrance to this series reaching its full potential.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Well now, don't go blaming Nomura for that. Nomura has actually been the one most pushing for better integration of the Disney characters. It's Disney's fault it doesn't happen. They're ridiculously overprotective of their IP, and for some reason they hate the idea of their own characters getting mixed up with each other and interacting (GOD FORBID! CROSSING OVER IN A CROSSOVER!) They're so damn picky about the idea that they won't even let them appear in other worlds as simple Summons anymore, that's why Nomura had to use legal trickery to get the summon characters in KH3 as Links by making them all elemental and claiming they weren't really technically the same characters.
The fact is, for as much as people like to bash Nomura as a storyteller for his constant retcons and strange narrative decisions (and I am often one to join in the bashing when it's warranted), Disney is actually the greatest hindrance to this series reaching its full potential.
Nomura's also the one that turned down the idea of Donald being the protagonist & insisted on making his own character. There's also a stark contrast in the writing of KH1 to the rest of the series. Disney characters mattered in KH1, the Disney villains drove the plot. From CoM onwards, the Disney characters are relegated more & more to filler while the number of spotlight-stealing OCs reach into the dozens. It's like he played it safe for his 1st game but once he found success, his ego took over.

Nyx Winters

The Dawn Fox
Awards
Throughout the ENTIRE game. The way it looks, it literally just looks like the only Disney characters to exist in the game ONLY consist of Donald, Goofy, Mickey, Yen Sid, Pete, & Maleficent. KH3 didn't really help...given how VERY little Pete & Maleficent had to do with the plot. They have literally a total of (5-6 I think) scenes throughout the entire game. And the Organization mentions the Princesses of Hearts, but they had VERY little part to play in the grand scheme of things. Disney's reign on their characters is just...infuriating at best, and it's greatly seen in 3, and it...makes me nervous. Disney, Final Fantasy, there has to be a middle ground between the two. Not just... a mess of original characters, making both Disney AND FF inferior.

That being said there are many characters throughout the entire series, that I feel should've had a bigger role throughout the game, than the role given to them. Disney characters that are both in the game and not in the game. Disney characters be it hero or villain that can contribute to the series more than just boss fodder or summon fodder. I mean...the only reason people want to go back to Beast Castle is to just fight Gaston. If THAT'S not boss fodder, idk what is.

I can start by saying I wish Genie & Tink ACTUALLY journeyed together with Donald & Goofy rather than just secluding them into summons, despite being the only two non-summoning gems. It never made sense to me, if Genie wanted to explore the world and help bring Jasmine back, he could've easily stayed apart of the plot. Peter entrusted Tinker Bell to Sora, so...I don't quite see why she couldn't join in the group.

I think we all have our list of original characters who we wished had a bigger role in the series...We all know which original character IN SPECIFIC, should've had a bigger role throughout the series. Yeah...she knows EXACTLY who it is. But, other than the usual cast of Mickey, Donald, Goofy, Jiminy, Yen Sid, Pete, & Maleficent, we haven't really named the world fodder- I mean Disney characters in and out of the game, that should/should've had bigger roles than what they've been given.

So let's cut to the chase. Which Disney characters do you think should've had a bigger role than what they've been given?

I actually really like theidea of going through each world and picking up a travel companion as you leave, imagine the possibilities at play there for a whole new solo sora game that gains members to his party and by the end you have 7 party members with a max use of 2-3 in the field at once allowing you to specialize the team going in to the enemy you are facing would allow kh to be harder and add more of a strategic element to the series.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
The Disney villains council from Kingdom Hearts. Maleficent, Jafar, Ursula, Captain Hook and Oogie Boogie being the initial antagonists was such a cool idea. I just wished that it wasn't just relegated to Kingdom Hearts.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I agree about Stitch and especially Merlin. Can't believe I forgot them. I think Madame Mim would be a good, minor antagonist that appears in multiple worlds. I'd have enjoyed her more than Pete, for example.

D

Deleted member 246005

Honestly i would have preferred a FF character to travel with Donald and Goofy. But then it would be a FF compilation than KH.

I think both @AR829038 and @MATGSY are right.

Disney should've been more willing to allow Nomura and SE to play with their movies more freely. Creatives gotta create after all.

Its hard to judge Nomura in a vacuum because i dont know the man personally. I don't mind the original characters/lore i just saw the execution lacking.

I'll just bring Nojima-san back. He's more expierenced writer and could've avoided some of the holes nomura falls into.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back