• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Discworld

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

CK the Fat

Discworld is a fantasy world. Basically, it's a giant disc that sits on the backs of four elephants, who in turn circle around on the shell of a giant turtle.

It's not your standard fantasy, though. Though you'll find all the races--humans, dwarves, elves, trolls, gnomes, werewolves, vampires, zombies--this is no Narnia or Lord of the Rings.

Imagine Lord of the Rings set to the humor of Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Discworld is a parody series, and also sattires to much of the world we are familiar to today.

At the end of every book I've read it felt as though I've come away with not only a good read, but also a strong moral. I would recommend this series to anyone who enjoys fantasy or comedy.

Anyone else familiar with Discworld?

CK the Fat

Indeed :) Pratchett has good works, whehter by himself or in collaberation (Good Omens was a neat book... featuring the one and only Death as a side character)

Jopari

Yeah, I like Pratchett. The Discworld books have a good mix of humor and seriousness. Christopher Moore is a similar writer who got me introduced to Discworld after someone told me they were similar.

Enchanted Rose

worst behaviour
I've read about 8 of them.

If I had to pick a favourite it would probably be Mort or The Color of Magic.

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
Terry Pratchett = win

You know, there were actually a few PC games based on Discworld. One or two of them made it onto consoles the early days of 32-bit era. I'd could almost guarantee you they're up for grabs online on a certain site, where underdogs like this have a home.

Awards
Vimes = God, but even he can't compare with Havelock Vetinari. Damn, but that guy is class.

You know, there were actually a few PC games based on Discworld.

Used to have one of them, way ages ago. Can't remember the name, but you played as Rincewind in some kind of point-and-click. Sadly, I was so young and inept at the time I could barely figure out where to go next...

C

Crazy Train

I haven't read it yet, but a friend told me about it...................and my brother.

MissDisney

I've read most of the Discworld books (not all...shame!) and I love Mort, Hogfather, Monstrous Regiment and Night Watch. Lord Vetinari's my favourite character (I love his hatred of mimes) and Vimes, Rincewind, Angua, Susan and of course Death are my other faves.

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
If you want to find those Discworld adventure games, try Googling the words that stand out in my post on the first page.

About the book Good Omens you mentioned before. . .I haven't heard of it. . .

Good Omens is an entirely separate book Pratchett wrote in partnership with Neil Gaiman of Sandman fame. It's a damned good book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back