• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Dimension/Alternate Reality Theory

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

xXTwistedVIxX

My co-worker, Tyler, firmly believes in the fact that there are other realities. Whether or not I am convinced is still to be determined.

However, I have formed a theory...more-so a question (to it's credit, I don't consider it a theory)

And I was hoping that someone might shed a little light, or even simply an opinion on the matter.

Here it is: Is it possible that everything that comes from our "imagination" is actually something that we've experienced in a different dimension or something that we experiencing at the moment we imagine it? As in, if a child imagines a tree in a forest that grows...I don't know...puppies...is it possible that in another dimension or reality that the same child actually SAW one? And there's a reason they are called "ALTERNATE" realities. Meaning that they are different than our own, and things have different outcomes. Like, in one dimension, we may decide to kill a man, but in a different dimension we may decide not to.

I could go on and on about examples of this I've thought of. Any ideas, folks?

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
I consider the realm of imagination and dreaming to be a reality all on its own. Novels and books and things and stories can all contain different realities, all little worlds on their own. As for the physical world, our universe, and science? I don't know and I don't really care.

xXTwistedVIxX

At least your idea of dreaming and imagination being a reality all their own was insightful.

O

Oberon

I think dreams are a good example of what you're referring to. My only problem is that these "alternate" realities are not lucid. You don't "live" in them; they're only temporary. I think on a literal note it is an extension of your experiences in an abstract form to you personally. I don't believe they're necessarily alternate because I see no possibility of them having a past, present and future as vivid as the reality you and I experience.

very differentiable
Awards
First of all, the word you're looking for is hypothesis, a theory actually has evidence backing the claim, which you obviously do not. As for the definition of a dimension, i explained it before, but it's basically a dimension represents a degree of freedom which is recorded using a coordinate. As for the multiverse hypothesis, yes there might be a multiverse, but we aren't certain and currently can not do any empirical observations. Furthermore, the multiverse would consist of multiple universes (shocker) each with their own physical constants and thereby physical phenomena. Dreams are no more then projections from the brain when you sleep. They emerge in the brain by chemical and electrical interactions in the brain, so no they are not occurences in different universes.

Why the hell is this in intelligent discussion?

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
And there's a reason they are called "ALTERNATE" realities.
A reason that is not based in any sort of known reality.

The problem here is you use the terms 'reality', 'dimension' and 'universe' so loosely without bothering to define them that it can't actually be intelligently discussed.
Also there's the matter of there being no evidence for this buuuut anyway~

ChaoticHeart

Wandering aimlessly through the blind eternities..
My co-worker, Tyler, firmly believes in the fact that there are other realities. Whether or not I am convinced is still to be determined.

However, I have formed a theory...more-so a question (to it's credit, I don't consider it a theory)

And I was hoping that someone might shed a little light, or even simply an opinion on the matter.

Here it is: Is it possible that everything that comes from our "imagination" is actually something that we've experienced in a different dimension or something that we experiencing at the moment we imagine it? As in, if a child imagines a tree in a forest that grows...I don't know...puppies...is it possible that in another dimension or reality that the same child actually SAW one? And there's a reason they are called "ALTERNATE" realities. Meaning that they are different than our own, and things have different outcomes. Like, in one dimension, we may decide to kill a man, but in a different dimension we may decide not to.

I could go on and on about examples of this I've thought of. Any ideas, folks?

Your hypothesis is pretty much the basis of alternate reality/dimension theories, like the one your co-worker probably believes.

very differentiable
Awards
Except these aren't theories, they have never been shown to exist. The universes comprising the multiverse, the hypothesis originating in m-theory, are all part of the same reality, we too are part of that multiverse. Alternate realities have no indication of existing, especially appearing for the dreams of people.

noheartx

Has anyone here ever heard of string theory? If not, it's basically the theory that electrons and quarks within an atome are 1-dimensional strings that vibrate, and cause what happens in this dimension. The theory is that basically if they were to vibrate in a different way, then there would be another outcome, and that led to the theory of other dimensions. I'm not smart enough, nor do i know enough about it to explain it fully, but that's kinda it in a nutshell. It has to do with the vibrations of the "strings" which are the particles in atoms that cause events that are categorized into different dimensions.

very differentiable
Awards
M-theory is the combination of several different string theories. There were heterotic, bosonic, IIA and IIB type theories, maybe more. All based on the same fundament of n-dimensional strings (not just 1), but all having differential equations that were similar, but showed differences. M-theory is simply the attempt to unify all these different theories into variations of a general theory. The higher dimensions you are referring to are dimensions strings oscilate in which define the characteristics of the particles we observe (mass, charge, colour, strangeness).

Last edited:

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Has anyone here ever heard of string theory? If not, it's basically the theory that electrons and quarks within an atome are 1-dimensional strings that vibrate,
Actually, they'd be eleven-dimensional. and cause what happens in this dimension.
The theory is that basically if they were to vibrate in a different way, then there would be another outcome,
No, that's something entirely different. String theory proposes different vibrations of strings correspond to different particles. It has nothing to do with altering the outcome of something.
and that led to the theory of other dimensions.
No, the requirement for symmetry of particle types did.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
this thread is stupid because op has no idea what a dimension/reality/universe is

and his op doesn't really give us much to discuss because it's not even theoretical, it's just science-fiction

Why the hell is this in intelligent discussion?

hey bro it's not intel disc anymore

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
and his op doesn't really give us much to discuss because it's not even theoretical, it's just science-fiction
sci-fi at least tries to make sense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back