• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Anime/Manga ► Digimon Adventure tri

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

What is your favorite series of Digimon?

• Total voters

Ven_Roxas

Awards
I made it to almost the end of the series. Only 5 episodes or so left, but I couldn’t finish it. The first arc of 50 episodes or so we’re good. But after that, it fell off hard for me. A lot of filler imo. I’ll watch the dub though. When I get time, I wanna start Ghost Game. From what I’ve heard, it’s good.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Can anyone comment on the reboot? I loved the first season of Digimon so much. I'm worried that they ruin it. What I loved about Digimon (at least the first 4 seasons) was that the kids really got their backgrounds examined in a surprisingly mature way. Like Izzy being adopted was such a powerful storyline.

If the reboot is just action packed, then I really wouldn't care to watch. I liked that Digimon was really focused on the story and gave everyone a chance to shine. The only thing the reboot might be able to fix is give everyone their mega levels.

PikaPal

Awards
Can anyone comment on the reboot? I loved the first season of Digimon so much. I'm worried that they ruin it. What I loved about Digimon (at least the first 4 seasons) was that the kids really got their backgrounds examined in a surprisingly mature way. Like Izzy being adopted was such a powerful storyline.

If the reboot is just action packed, then I really wouldn't care to watch. I liked that Digimon was really focused on the story and gave everyone a chance to shine. The only thing the reboot might be able to fix is give everyone their mega levels.
From what I've been hearing the reboot is pretty much that.

Filled with plenty of action but coming at the expanse of development for any of the kids themselves.

KudoTsurugi

Awards

While I’ve enjoyed what I’ve seen of the 2020 series, I can’t comment on it completely as I haven’t finished it yet. What I can say is just keep your expectations low and treat it as its own thing, as it’s probably not going to reach the highs of the original. We do get Mega levels for the kids this time around.

Ghost Game has also been pretty entertaining with its story so far, with its story set in the near future and the slight horror tone and mystery regarding not only the appearance of Digimon as Hologram Ghosts, but also the origin of our main character Hiro’s partner Digimon Gammamon. Definitely worth the watch so far.

Tai’s new English VA is the guy who plays Goh in Pokemon.

Huh.
Fun fact: Cheraimi Leigh, who played Maki in Tri and Biyomon in both Tri and Kizuna, is also in Pokemon Journeys as Chloe, Professor Cerise’s daughter

Last edited:

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
OMG I think I might just stick to the original four seasons then.

I have to carve out some time to actually do a rewatch of them.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Digimon Adventure 2020 is getting a dub? That's nice. I was always curious about this show but never got around to watching it. I've heard mixed things about it though. It's a nostalgia act for sure because otherwise why not make a new adventure with new chosen children and Digimon? 2020 wasn't a one for one remake of the original Adventure, with new enemy Digimon right?

KudoTsurugi

Awards
Digimon Adventure 2020 is getting a dub? That's nice. I was always curious about this show but never got around to watching it. I've heard mixed things about it though. It's a nostalgia act for sure because otherwise why not make a new adventure with new chosen children and Digimon? 2020 wasn't a one for one remake of the original Adventure, with new enemy Digimon right?
Yeah, it’s definitely not a one-for-one remake. The opening 3 episodes are one of the strongest openings in Digimon, and there’s a bigger sense of adventure this time around. There’s both new enemy Digimon and faces from past series too in new scenarios, and some of them even get alternate forms.

Also, while Adventure 2020 may not reach the heights of the original, it doesn’t mean it’s not worth a watch. Also @Face My Fears if you decide to give Savers/Data Squad a shot, expect it to have a lot of Shonen tropes as the series was originally intended for a slightly older audience when it aired in Japan. Never before or since will you see a Digimon protagonist punch a giant Digimon in the face to get their partner to Digivolve.

Last edited:

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I tried to get into Savers, but I really just couldn't. There was something about the style that didn't feel like Digimon to me.

Also, I saw the breaking news about Patamon being able to regularly digivolve into Pegasusmon and wasn't sure how I felt about that. I like the idea that Angemon should be saved as something special, but it's weird that Pegasusmon can digivolve into MagnaAngemon.

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
I haven't watched anything Digimon post-Frontier unless it had something to do with Adventure. Is anything else worth checking out?

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I haven't watched anything Digimon post-Frontier unless it had something to do with Adventure. Is anything else worth checking out?
I haven't seen anything of Digimon post-Tamers besides a couple of episodes here and there. Partly because Digimon used to always air on FOX in the afternoon after school back when it first aired, which is how I saw it. Frontiers was on Disney XD or whatever it's called, but always very, very early. Squad was the same way. I don't think Xros even aired on a channel I would've saw.

I suppose I could've seen them if I actively sought them out--though I'd never buy them, they're way way overpriced--but, tbh, the only season of Digimon I liked was the first. I didn't care for Adventure 02 or Tamers, and the few eps of those later seasons I saw didn't impress me either. tri. was the first thing of the series I was interested in since 02 aired all those years ago in part because it mostly ignores the existence of 02. I still need to see Kizuna. I'll probably buy tri., Kizuna, and the Adventure re-make at some point. The first Adventure season is the only one I own right now.

Ven_Roxas

Awards
I tried to get into Savers, but I really just couldn't. There was something about the style that didn't feel like Digimon to me.
That’s understandable. I always thought best parts of Digimon were the parts with high stakes in the real world. Myotismon and the search for the 8th child, the ending arc of 02, and the tamers episodes from the point where beelzemon attacked the kids to the end of the season (chefs kiss) were the best points of digimon, imo. For that reason, I think frontier, Xwars, and the reboot all fell flat for me. And the lack of great character development.

I suppose I could've seen them if I actively sought them out--though I'd never buy them, they're way way overpriced--but, tbh, the only season of Digimon I liked was the first. I didn't care for Adventure 02 or Tamers, and the few eps of those later seasons I saw didn't impress me either. tri. was the first thing of the series I was interested in since 02 aired all those years ago in part because it mostly ignores the existence of 02. I still need to see Kizuna. I'll probably buy tri., Kizuna, and the Adventure re-make at some point. The first Adventure season is the only one I own right now.
When the shutdown first happened, I went through the entire adventure saga and came honestly thought the same thing. 02 was the weak link in the Digimon Adventure continuity when compared to Adventure, Tri, and Kizuna.

On an interesting note that I just realized a couple days ago, I saw my original digimon v-pet with the death screen of 8-years on it and realized the concept of time moving faster in the digital world was a reference to the V-pet aging at one year per day. My mind was blown!

KudoTsurugi

Awards
Ghost Game is definitely worth a watch if you liked the darker tones of Tamers, plus the story and character designs has some involvement from the people who made Digimon Adventure V-Tamer 01, the first serialised Digimon manga.
17469355-3D54-4C0F-9939-5091012E4096.jpeg 9DA3179A-B5F3-4801-A306-23823F6ECECC.jpeg

Reactions: Max

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
Ghost Game is definitely worth a watch if you liked the darker tones of Tamers, plus the story and character designs has some involvement from the people who made Digimon Adventure V-Tamer 01, the first serialised Digimon manga.
View attachment 15036 View attachment 15037
Thanks, I might check out Ghost Game!

I own Seasons 1-4 of Digimon, but that's because I got them app together in a box set for like, 40 bucks haha.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
That’s understandable. I always thought best parts of Digimon were the parts with high stakes in the real world. Myotismon and the search for the 8th child, the ending arc of 02, and the tamers episodes from the point where beelzemon attacked the kids to the end of the season (chefs kiss) were the best points of digimon, imo. For that reason, I think frontier, Xwars, and the reboot all fell flat for me. And the lack of great character development.

When the shutdown first happened, I went through the entire adventure saga and came honestly thought the same thing. 02 was the weak link in the Digimon Adventure continuity when compared to Adventure, Tri, and Kizuna.

On an interesting note that I just realized a couple days ago, I saw my original digimon v-pet with the death screen of 8-years on it and realized the concept of time moving faster in the digital world was a reference to the V-pet aging at one year per day. My mind was blown!
I haven't watched Frontier in a whole, but I remember they did stuff with the real world... at least I think so.

The search for the 8th child was such an amazing story arc and such a surprise. I'm feeling like giving it a rewatch now.

Ven_Roxas

Awards
I haven't watched Frontier in a whole, but I remember they did stuff with the real world... at least I think so.
The first episode, one episode where takuya went back in time and went to the real world on the day he went to the digital world, and then the last episode. There were flashbacks but that was it. That was basically the same for Xross Wars. First, middle, and last episodes.

Really was disappointed that the reboot didn’t utilize the real world more. I don’t think the digimon ever went to the real world

2 quid is good

Awards
Well, the tri. series sort of ruined the whole thing for me by re-casting Matt / Yamato unnecessarily (with the original anime's dub voice actor saying he wasn't even asked to return online, when he would've been willing)... So I mean, might as well just re-cast everyone for the new anime.
Unfortunately tri and Kizuna were non-union dubs iirc and Michael Reisz is a union actor. I think Matt's kizuna VA is a lot better than vic mignona fwiw, but yeah I was a little upset too that he was recast. Also I wish we could have heard Michael Lindsay as Joe again but obviously that wasn't gonna happen :(

I really loved Joe, and especially love him in tri, maybe because I was 17-19 when it was coming out and literally going through everything he was, that shot where he's getting all C's and D's despite working his butt off hit so hard. Alas, me and Joe will always have that shared sense of self-doubt about our abilities all because we don't test well. I've been putting off seeing Kizuna until next month when I'll be done with school... I find it amazing that I've been the same age as the characters during Adventure/tri/kizuna releasing, and I know I'm gonna cry a lot about it when I see it. Very few franchises let you grow in real time with the characters, I'm lucky I guess that Digimon was at the perfect time for me

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Unfortunately tri and Kizuna were non-union dubs iirc and Michael Reisz is a union actor.
That makes me more mad, that he was excluded because he's part of a union. :X

Mimi and Palmon / Lilymon were always my favorite of the individual partners, and they were so well-voiced. So sad to hear Mimi’s voice actor had passed, I didn’t know that. :( Mimi was always, Palmon is so likable, and Lilymon so pretty. Even in Digimon the Movie from back in the day, which Mimi is barely in at all, her maniacal laughter is one of the best moments of the thing.

Even though those two were my favorites to watch, Matt / Yamato on the other hand was probably the character I most identified with growing up, although I was never attached to Gabumon. I know We Don't Talk About 02, but I'll say that I always thought Matt would've made more sense with Mimi than Sora if he wasn't in love with Taichi. Digimon is where my shipper days began, then KH1 came out soon after. Not to go on a tangent here (but when and where else would I ever have a chance to mention this? Feel free to skip to the next paragraph, everybody), but one of my favorite pieces of fanart growing up was some picture of Yamato from the moment in Adventure when he's confronting his inner turmoil while being manipulated by Cherrymon and looking at Tai's reflection in the river. Only the picture has him reaching out to touch the reflection with cherry blossoms everywhere (as in, his inner turmoil is less hating Tai than partly being in love with him). I'm not sure the name of the artist, it was so long ago. I know a lot of Matt's turmoil was dealing with his parents being divorced, how he was angry at them but still loved him and had difficulty expressing his emotions openly. You see that playing out with T.K., too, where he wants to be there for him, but is partly frustrated and jealous/resentful of him. I always think of his conflict with Tai as an extension of the same thing as with those other characters, a mixture of strong emotions of frustration and love he's too embarrassed to express or doesn't comprehend.

Probably my next favorite characters were Izzy / Koushiro and Tentomon, then Gomamon and Piedmon. The designs for Angemon and MagnaAngemon were epic. I know so many hate the dub, but the comedy and the weirdness of it all is partly why I loved that season.

Back