• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Different types of Music and how it affects our views towards each other.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devious

This does NOT belong in the music thread because this is an intelligent discussion.

Music has been known throughout the world to affect each listener in various ways and has been known to "cause violence within teens". Let me ask you something, "How does this affect our views on one another?" Tell me what you feel about how it affects our relationships with people around us? Different styles of music commonly causes a form of bias against one another. Say a punk listener and a rap listener meet up, do you think there will be a bias? Of course! Because one thinks there will be something wrong with the other for listening to a strange type of music in which the other is not accustomed.

I want to see your views on how music usually affects our outlook on other people. I personally experience any type of music that I come accross, but of course that doesn't stop me from having my own views. CK the Fat and Square Ninja, I especially want to see you two post in this.

snowdog

is a girl
Awards
n. 1. a place of settlement, activity, or residenc
Well, there's a lot of stereotyping that is associated with liking a certain genre.

Like dance, for example. Where I live, they're assumed to hate those who listen to rock.

I think that for people with closed minds, taste in music can affect relationships. Some people I know wouldn't even think of being friends with someone who listens to a different genre.

CK the Fat

Thank you Twilight, unfortunately I have little to actually debate in this opening statement...

There are people in my school who have different types of preferances. Some will only listen to the modern Gwen Stefani, Timberlake, etc, and cast aside anything from out of the decade. Generally these are the kids who are "popular" and all, and I'm not friends with many of them for more reasons than music alone.

Then there are those who like the 90s, 80s, etc. Me, I'm a 70/80s person (ELO, Squeeze, The Police, Styx), and I get along okay with the few other people who like the same eras.

However, I don't know how dramatically music itself influences me in itself. I've voiced my dislike for some of the more crude "sex" music out there, as well as my dislike for many nonmelodical songs, but not much in person.

Perhaps someone else has more extensive thoughts.

Devious

That's interesting, I thought mainly the genre's separated cliques, not eras. That's very surprising indeed. Well you learn something new every day, excellent.

BlackmageAp

Awards
This is a very true point that you've made here Twilight Demon. I can remember back in High School when we had cliques. Surprisingly to many people, it wasn't based on race or gender, or those crappy ones that we see in sitcoms and whatnot, it was based on music. You could walk around my school and hear every different genre out there. Everyone seemed to have a boombox of a sort, and whether they were in a classroom or by the fountain, they would have different music on.

A classic example of you bias statement also happened as well. It was group of raps as we called them that were getting annoyed at some guys across the hallway with classic music (classes) on. I can remember hearing the raps yelling to have them turn their 'pitiful excuse for sound down'. It only took three minutes of conversation after that statement before a fight broke out between the two groups.

Even now at my college, we still all go around this same basis of thought. If certain people enjoy certain music, they tend to hang around. Mind you, some have open minds about this, but I would say that a lot of friendship requirments these days normally have the same music interests involved. Making us very bias in this view.

Story Keeper

Anxious Writer
Awards
Sending out my soul to worlds more beautiful
This is a very true point that you've made here Twilight Demon. I can remember back in High School when we had cliques. Surprisingly to many people, it wasn't based on race or gender, or those crappy ones that we see in sitcoms and whatnot, it was based on music. You could walk around my school and hear every different genre out there. Everyone seemed to have a boombox of a sort, and whether they were in a classroom or by the fountain, they would have different music on.

A classic example of you bias statement also happened as well. It was group of raps as we called them that were getting annoyed at some guys across the hallway with classic music (classes) on. I can remember hearing the raps yelling to have them turn their 'pitiful excuse for sound down'. It only took three minutes of conversation after that statement before a fight broke out between the two groups.

Even now at my college, we still all go around this same basis of thought. If certain people enjoy certain music, they tend to hang around. Mind you, some have open minds about this, but I would say that a lot of friendship requirments these days normally have the same music interests involved. Making us very bias in this view.

You're right BlackmageAp.

Eikre

W.S.N.B.M./O.N.B.P.
Senior Leader's Course, Cold Lake Air Base, Albert
Personally, I don't care what you listen to. If you listen to rap, you listen to rap. if you like classic rock, you can like that too (I'll be with you).

It's kind of like "Ohhhhh, he listens to death metal, he must be gothic and want to kill us all!!" or "He listens to rap, that gangsta!" that gets to me. I don't think it matters what you listen to, so much as reactions to it. I hate rap with a passion, but unless the people who like do things that make me want to hate them, then I will.

Devious

Since you seem very interested with this topic BlackmageAp, here's something else to think of.

Not only is this bias expressed through the students but it is also expressed through the school board. You heard me right, the school board takes note of the attitudes they infer teens to have by the music they listen to. Columbine High School for example, these kids were classified as angry children mainly because of the video games and the music - MUSIC - they liked. In this situation the school boards have begun carefully classifying who might be another Columbine impersonater through the music they listen to.

Rap listeners are often assumed to be in a gang or related to a gang in some form. Punk listeners are often assumed to be fighters, pure brawlers that do nothing but hard drugs, party, fight, and vandalize. Metal listeners (mainly Death Metal for this point) are assumed to think they are the anti-christ and perform anti-religious acts such as dark rituals where animals are disembowled and eaten. Techno listeners are assumed to be "E-tards" or heavy ecstacy users that continuously perform premarital sex due to the sexual attraction felt while on ecstacy.

Through this, the school board has placed a negative influence on EVERY child that does not listen to an "inspirational" style of music which is an entirely relevant term all on its own!

BlackmageAp

Awards
Well, it's no surpirse, but it is good to know somebody knows about this sorta thing. Thankfully though, not every school board goes by that basis. From observation alone, it seems to be students that create these situations for themselves. This in turn creates a bias opinion that everyone else will be judged by. The downside here is that the people who are open to different opinions, will get jugded automatically by the others that they will hang around.

Eikre

W.S.N.B.M./O.N.B.P.
Senior Leader's Course, Cold Lake Air Base, Albert
But why would a school board think like that? Aren't they supposed to take care of the kids, not find nit-picky reasons to hate them? Because if music is what comes down to deciding what makes a person, I reserve the right to commit suicide after society makes that new low...and we're already:

This low.

Devious

Haha, that made me laugh right there because of how true that is. We are that low, but despite how the school board should act towards students, it's a matter of how they really act. Thus this creates the new low for our educational society.

CK the Fat

But why would a school board think like that? Aren't they supposed to take care of the kids, not find nit-picky reasons to hate them?

Easier to nit-pick a few than take care of the general population, of course :)

Techno listeners are assumed to be "E-tards" or heavy ecstacy users that continuously perform premarital sex due to the sexual attraction felt while on ecstacy.

So... I write techno, what does that make me? Lol.

Technically, if rap is supposed to encourage violence, schools better get Beowulf, The Odyssey, the Iliad, Lord of the Flies, etc. off their shelves pretty quickly.

When I listen to music, I either think of it as doing two things. The first being simply telling a story. Squeeze is great at it's "story-telling," and I enjoy the stories as simply being a slice of life. Then other songs try to tell you a lesson by creating a situation and a mood to go along with it. Maybe i haven't listened hard enough, but I haven't heard much music that actually tells someone to do what the singer is referancing.

Devious

(You seriously write techno? I love techno, haha)

That's my point, despite what the music actually says they believe it "subliminally" tells someone what to do through the type of music. It's really quite strange.

The Big Lovin'

Everyone's Favorite Uncle Ji-Chan
See, the sterotypes associated with music have to do with ignorance of music. I know some people who just refuse, absolutly, down right, refuse to listen to any other genre outside of thier "image". Its ridiculous. Other people just refuse to listen to anything that is forgien to them and automaticly slap a big'ol "failure" label on it. Now getting into the ignorant part. Lyrics. People are so hyped up over lyrics, it just pisses me off sometimes. The worst cases I've seen have been on here. People pay way to much damned attention to lyrics rather than the music itself. People will not listen to music if the lyrics speak of something they don't like. Then they fix themselves into sterotyping the genre. Yes, I am talking about rap. This is probably the most cotroversial genre I have seen.

"OMFG!! That guy's lyrics talks about sex, drugs, women being ho's, etc. Lets ignore the plain fact that the music sounds good and crap on the song because of its 'message'".

I find that to be completely and utter bull shit. This isn't just rap either. There are other genres out there that get crapped on because of its 'message'. I like a song that has a good story, a good meaning, but its something I couldn't careless about because I focus on the music. The only time I care about lyrics is when it comes to rap, but not because of the 'message'. I care about the lyrics because its what they use to make music. You can't rhyme "gold" and "fish". Not going to happen, ever. But when you have a good rhyme going, you can make a good rythem. And rythem can make it or break it. I admire good musical production in songs. Taking music to the next level. Even the simplest of compositions can make some of the best music. It has shown over time. But what ends up getting sold to people is unorginal, medicore, bull shit. Because of this, the sterotypes get stronger.

I allwats get caught up ranting when it comes to music, but its becacuse music is the biggest thing for me now and I hate listening to bad music. So anyways, yeah [/end rant]

Devious

You've got some good thoughts on it and I definately agree with what you say. People mainly focus on the lyrics because people think that it seriously describes the person listening to the music, you obviously go against the grain and say that its about the music and not the lyrics. Probably the best thing I've heard in the past few hours or so. Sorry I'm a little tired and mentally drained from work so yeah, hopefully you understand what I'm trying to say, I talk to some of the most unintelligent, computer - illiterate people at my job and after I feel like I'm not as intelligent as I usually am.

CK the Fat

I understand what you mean. When a sarcastic statement taken literally, you generally don't get good results. And true, the statement did say something bad, but the true intent was rather to promote the opposite.

Anyway, Demon, wouldn't working with idiots make you feel smarter, as in comparison? Or perhaps your character actually goes beyond your immediate environment...

Devious

No, rather, I have more of an "absorbant attitude." But anyway, yeah I know what you mean.

Athletics Legend

*The Future Athlete*
Personally, I don't care what you listen to. If you listen to rap, you listen to rap. if you like classic rock, you can like that too (I'll be with you).

It's kind of like "Ohhhhh, he listens to death metal, he must be gothic and want to kill us all!!" or "He listens to rap, that gangsta!" that gets to me. I don't think it matters what you listen to, so much as reactions to it. I hate rap with a passion, but unless the people who like do things that make me want to hate them, then I will.

Well, the reason people would say that if someone who listens to rap is gangsta is because of the person who composed it would probably be gangsta..

And yeah, it doesnt matter to what you listen to...

The Big Lovin'

Everyone's Favorite Uncle Ji-Chan
No, rather, I have more of an "absorbant attitude." But anyway, yeah I know what you mean.

LMAO

"OH NOES!!! I CONTRACTED THE STUPID!!"
Well, the reason people would say that if someone who listens to rap is gangsta is because of the person who composed it would probably be gangsta..

And yeah, it doesnt matter to what you listen to...

Just an image thing.

Ysu

Formerly Kown as..
Website
www.myspace.com
I listen to music constantly. It seems that at my house some music is always playing, with everyone in the family listening. That’s exposed me to many different genres, and so far, I've loved every genre of music other than country.

So that means I can go from listening to Rap, Hip Hop, Punk, Metal, Industrial, Pop, Alternative, Reggaton, etc. This variety has led me to fit in with many Cliques.

But even those "cliques" we think of, are not as tight knit and not as uptight about acceptance as people think. When you get to know someone from that preppy or rap or emo clique, you'll find that they may be completely different from your preconceived stereotypes. It seems to me, that those outside those cliques, tend to resent and possibly even grow jealous of those within the clique, and that leads people to create images in their heads of those people without ever getting to know them. We're very, perhaps too, judgmental.

If people can learn to get rid of theses stereotypes about others, then maybe, when we all get out our iPods or Zens or Zunes, we can all enjoy our own and even appreciate everyone else's music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back