• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Different 'kinds' of matter

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joy

Bronze Member
Well, for some reason, I feel the need to talk aboutt he different kinds of matter. From memory, the different kinds of 'matter" (or matter int heir name) are as follows:

Matter
Anti-matter
Dark matter
Exotic Matter

Are there any other types? The last one in particular is extremely odd, but it can hypothetically exist. Hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about.

Overall, I'd just like to discuss the different kinds of matter in the universe.

Ordeith

Great Old One
Awards
Doesn't dark matter explode when it touches matter? That's just about all I know about the different types of matter.

Sephiros_TH

yep theres negative matter which is repelled by matter, weird stuff. Its said to be ridiculously rare and only found in remote regions of space where there is no matter to reppell it.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Well, Matter and Anti-Matter don't repel eachother, it's just that if they come into contact with eachother, they annihalate each other and turn to energy, the amount of energy being determined by E=mc2(Damn, can't sqaure symbols in KHI)

I've heard of exotic matter in a sense. is that like gravitons, baryions, bosons, hadrons etc?

square-enix

Pederast
Website
www.newsvine.com
I've heard of exotic matter in a sense. is that like gravitons, baryions, bosons, hadrons etc?
Baryons and Hadrons branch off from "Matter" which they themselves branch off into quarks and antiquarks.
I personally don't see this discussion going anywhere. Scientist have a hard enough time understanding dark matter and antimatter is still experimental. I doubt any of us would be able to wrap over mind around any of this if some of our greatest minds are still working on it.
Seriously, look at what's been posted so far.

Raeneth

Has a custom user title
Awards
Baryons and Hadrons branch off from "Matter" which they themselves branch off into quarks and antiquarks.
I personally don't see this discussion going anywhere. Scientist have a hard enough time understanding dark matter and antimatter is still experimental. I doubt any of us would be able to wrap over mind around any of this if some of our greatest minds are still working on it.
Seriously, look at what's been posted so far.

>_> let them have their fun.

It doesn't really matter anyway. =3

Sephiros_TH

Well, Matter and Anti-Matter don't repel eachother, it's just that if they come into contact with eachother, they annihalate each other and turn to energy, the amount of energy being determined by E=mc2(Damn, can't sqaure symbols in KHI)

yes mater and anti-mater result in annihilation but negative mater is another concept, based on a system like polarity in magnetism. In the case of negative mater (not anti-mater) it repels mater or is repelled by it. As for exotic matter, I know mater not originating from our universe and particles not naturally produced constitute but I think those are just a few examples.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
"Exotic matter is a hypothetical concept of particle physics. It covers any material which violates one or more classical conditions or is not made of known baryonic particles. Such materials would possess qualities like negative mass or being repelled rather than attracted by gravity. It is used in certain speculative theories, such as on the construction of wormholes. The closest known real representative of exotic matter is a region of pseudo-negative pressure density produced by the Casimir effect."

I made your lives a whole lot easier: exotic matter (which is hypothetical, of course) would be matter that violates known laws of physics.

Joy

Bronze Member
Well, it may not defy physics, if it's true that we don't know everything about gravity, and it ends up that gravity is similar to electromagnetism in that it can both repel and attract.

It just so happens that most everything ever created is attracted as opposed to repelled. lol

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
That's why I said "known" laws of physics, Time :<

It's matter that would defy (and I say "would" because we haven't discovered it yet) our understanding of physics.

Iridium

Snobby Von PersnicketyBitch
Awards
Seems that everyone's forgotten Quark Matter.

*Edit*

Wait, my bad quark matter is strange matter :D

very differentiable
Awards
Strange matter isn't a dinstinct type, it is normal matter. Do i have to elaborate?

very differentiable
Awards
Well, a lot of the things around us is composed of atoms, the nucleus of atoms exist out of protons. Now protons exists out of the most basic particles known to us, quarks. "Normal" matter has protons existing out of up and down quarks, which are certain variants of quarks. Up and down quarks are the quarks with the least mass. Strange matter are comprised of atoms and thus protons existing out of strange quarks. Strange quarks actually contain more mass then up and down quarks and are more energetic, but they aren't a distinct matter as they are actually pretty comparable to other types of quarks.

Anti-matter actually has protons existing out of the opposite charge. If the up quark has a charge of +2/3e and a down quark a charge of-1/3e, the anti-up quark has a charge of -2/3e and the anti-down quark a charge of +1/3e.

Dark matter is distinct as it hasn't been seen directly, and it might have other interesting properties. Exotic matter is already explained.

But still, does it matter.

Last edited:

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Neutrons are also composed of quarks.

And Dark Matter, like ikkuh2 said, has so far remained undetected. But there are some strange effects that we think it may cause, and we can analyse those.

very differentiable
Awards
That's true, but if i had to explain the complete build of an atom, i should've typed even more, and i thought it was already enough.

Alaude Drenxta

\+The Devil's+/ .{Advocate}.
Understanding Exotic matter is the equivalent of understanding the mechanics of the Infinite Probability drive in Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

It's hypothetical, incalculable, and all the most basic laws of reality, mathematics, and natural mechanics deny it's workability.

However, I've studied extensively on the processes of multiple types of ACTUAL matter, so I'd love to discuss the processes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back