• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Difference between Kingdom Hearts χ and Kingdom Hearts Unchained χ?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sakide

What are the main differences between these two games? From what I've read, Unchained χ seems to be a port of χ to iOS and Android, but seems to be a little different story- and gameplay-wise.
The German Kingdom Hearts Wiki says: "This game [Kingdom Hearts Unchained χ] is a remake of Kingdom Hearts χ, but will feature a new setting."

Are there changes to the story so significant that I should play both to get to know as much of the lore as possible? Or is the change more like from Chain of Memories and coded to Re: Chain of Memories and Re:coded? (I'd prefer playing the Re: versions over the standard ones.)

And then, a gameplay element that involved Cards was changed to... Medals?? I haven't been acquainted to either of the two, so I can't tell which one is better.
Also, I'll probably somehow have to go through the trouble of getting the Japanese version of Unchained χ if I should decide to play it, while the normal χ is already Japanese by default.

So which one should I play? I normally strive to play the most advanced and complete version of a game if there are different ones; at the same time, I don't want to miss out on too much lore, and I want to be able to play it in Japanese. Of course, it should also be as much fun to play as possible.
So which one would be suited better for me? χ or Unchained χ? Or is it worth it playing both?

Last edited:

ShardofTruth

Unchained
Awards
I'm just at mission 25 in Unchained but from what I've gathered so far is that the story is mostly the same.
The introduction is a bit different (the Moogle is entirely missing for example and also your Union's Foreteller doesn't make such an epic entry) while the rest feels the same. Generally Unchained is a bit tighter written, there are more Chirithy scenes in the beginning and the story of the Disney world seems more compact. I'm sure we will start a thread with all noteworthy differences at one point.

The gameplay is extremly different. [chi] has open world exploring while Unchained only sends you to a maximum of like three maps on every mission. The combat system in both games is very different too, [chi] has a relativly complex deck building system while the battles happen automatically, Unchained's deck building is more restriced but the combat requires a bit more planning and tactial thinking. Currently I think in this regard Unchained is more fun.

Unchained also has the Avatar boards with are used to increase your stats and unlock new costumes while the stats in [chi] are mostly controlled through your cards and new costume are either bought in the various shops are gained in event missions. There are currently no events in Unchained, but they should be patched in at a later date.

In essence both games have their advantages and disadvantages. I don't really like the stage gameplay of Unchained, it's kind of exhausting. At the same time the gameplay of [chi] can become pretty dull too. Grinding is expected in both games, that's not everyone's cup of tea.

So I'm not sure what advise I should give you. If you just want to experience the story, I would say wait for the English translation of Unchained, it's probably due in one or two months, maybe there will also be a German one, it's not confirmed at this point.
You have to try out the gameplay of both games to see what you like more, both are not difficult in any way and if you don't want to aim for high-end event enemies you are probably faster through the current content in [chi].

OZ mind

From what I know , the two game till the same story of the time before the keyblade war , the gameplay is extremely different this is a piece of an interview with answering your question

Nomura: The system is completely renewed. The biggest difference will be that KHX uses the world selection like the other series, but KH Unchained X uses the stage system. 1 stage will take 1-3 minutes to play, allowing easy play while on the move. You can enjoy KHX through exploration adventures, but KH Unchained X's main axis is to shorten battles and lets you feel the excitement of "1-turn finishers".

If you want to know the story of the keyblade war , anyone of the two will work , so choose the most fun for you , and make sure to play KH X back cover in KH2.8 to get the other side of the story

Sakide

If you just want to experience the story, I would say wait for the English translation of Unchained, it's probably due in one or two months, maybe there will also be a German one, it's not confirmed at this point.

I don't want an English or German translation - I think I'm good with Japanese. ^^

Well, thank you both! I guess I'll start with Kingdom Hearts χ to get to know what it's actually about. :p

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
Nomura said the story is the same, but it's more "streamlined". Meaning, they're the same game, but the story is given to the player more easily since it's a mobile game and not meant to be something you sit down and binge for hours like other KH entries. But the gameplay is completely different in each one. So, if you're just looking for lore, get Unchained X and KH 2.8 and you'll be good.

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
There's a wealth of changes to the gameplay. It's closer to Re:coded than Re:Chain of Memories in terms of relation to the original title.

In some ways it's really great, but other differences make me long for a more faithful adaptation. I would recommend trying both versions, since they're both fun and it's all free anyway.

As for story, they keep teasing that there may be some difference. Even in that recent Famitsu scan, χ[chi] and Unchained χ are linked with "equal?"
The only difference I've noticed thus far is that Player asks Donald and Goofy about Chirithy, which to my recollection never happened in the browser version.
Also, the sequence of events for the Disney worlds is different.
At present, they're effectively identical.

ShardofTruth

Unchained
Awards
After reaching mission 200+ I think the original [chi] tried a bit harder to make the story work, especially in Dwarf Woodlands where Unchained is padding all the wrong segments and cutting the variety of the missions because it's only defeating Heartless (and not finding items and/or NPCs) now. The technology of Unchained is also less advanced, whereas in [chi] areas opened up bit for bit and you got even weather effects like rain it's all pretty dull in Unchained.

It's cool that the 1st Anniversary story is part of the main story in Unchained but that's about it.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Ephemera and Vulpeus are the major differences between the two.
Ephemera is able to communicate in X from Unchained through a rift and you have a battle against Vulpeus regardless of Union in X.

Sakide

Waaat? Why do you have to battle against Vulpeus? I selected them as my Union! :eek:
Oh, I guess I'll find out when I make progress in the game.
Already started KHχ and I'm actually downloading Unchained χ right now. lol
A delayed thank-you for all who replied. :3

Is there maybe a recommendation which KH games I should have played before getting into χ? So far I've only played Kingdom Hearts Final Mix and Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories. Plus I already got certain things spoiled from Kingdom Hearts II and Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Day, but I'd like to keep further spoiling to a minimum. :p
So, can I already play it without spoilers (I mean, it's a sequel, I don't think there can be too many of them) and, more importantly, without missing any story details that might be better enjoyed if I would've played any other games besides KH and Re:CoM​?

Last edited:

Kazr10

Bronze Member
Awards
Waaat? Why do you have to battle against Vupleus? I selected them as my Union! :eek:
Oh, I guess I'll find out when I make progress in the game.
Already started KHχ and I'm actually downloading Unchained χ right now. lol
A delayed thank-you for all who replied. :3

Is there maybe a recommendation which KH games I should have played before getting into χ? So far I've only played Kingdom Hearts Final Mix and Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories. Plus I already got certain things spoiled from Kingdom Hearts II and Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Day, but I'd like to keep further spoiling to a minimum. :p
So, can I already play it without spoilers (I mean, it's a sequel, I don't think there can be too many of them) and, more importantly, without missing any story details that might be better enjoyed if I would've played any other games besides KH and Re:CoM​?

You don't need any knowledge from previous games, and Chi doesn't spoil any of the existing ones. The cards and medals does spoil what characters are in the KH series though. But they have been very kind towards the naming, eg. Mysterious Figure.

People may argue about DDD but I don't think it is necessary if you only have KH knowledge of I and CoM. Just going to give you a headache.

Sakide

Ooookay... Thank you for your reply!
And one more question (sorry ._.): What would you say how long it takes approx. to play through the story in χ/Unchained χ​?

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
I would say that Birth by Sleep and Dream Drop Distance are rather pertinent in terms of prerequisite knowledge of χ[chi]. (But then, for those you might want to playthe others as well.) I suppose it's not strictly necessary, but since χ[chi] is going to connect into KHIII, and because of certain story details, I think it would help to have the context of the later games when experiencing this story.

How long does it take? Hard to gauge for χ[chi] honestly, since I've been at it since the open beta two years ago. I'd hazard a guess at maybe around... 5-ish hours? Maybe? Might be more.

Unchained χ feels kinda long at 275 quests currently, but I think you can blitz through them without much trouble, maybe a few hours tops.

Due to the nature of the games you'll probably have to take multiple sessions to catch up, so in a more general sense, depending on your own free time, you could get to end of both versions within a week, maybe less.

ShardofTruth

Unchained
Awards
Yes, it's all about AP in the start. If you decide to play web [chi] for the story you should join a party immediatly which gives you up to 29 additional AP, there is no such thing in Unchained.
Since the level restrictions for story segments have been removed in [chi] and all story bosses need only 1 AP now, the story can be probably completed much faster. Also, if you at least participate in the lower event missions you will get cards that are better than anything you can get through normal means (tickets, mog points, etc.), further speeding up your progress.

In Unchained you have to complete the challenges of the missions at one point so you get more Avatar Medals to raise your HP, Cost and AP (HP and cost will raise simply due leeling up in [chi]). I think this is a bit more time consuming on the long run. If you don't do that you have to spread your gameplay sessions for a very long time.

The rate AP replenishes is 3 minutes for 1 point in both game.

On the other hand it seems that maximizing your deck is a lot easier in Unchained (at the moment), so if you intend to play high-end event missions at one point, Unchained is probably the better way to start.

AurisFlown

Awards
After reading on some wiki's about Kingdom Hearts Chi (PC), Its starting to look as if Chi and Unchained are the same but Different Dimensions.

Story Wise is probably the same with just a few differences where its not too noticeable.

And as many of us have noticed, The obvious difference is the Cards and Medal's, Stage Progression and Unchained has more of a free-er way of attacking than with the card system as its basically just getting the best attack point cards and hope you don't die.

So its basically saying, it doesn't matter which one you try, you'll end up with the same important info you'll need in the end...for now.

ShardofTruth

Unchained
Awards
There is also a difference with how Guilt is acquired in both games. In [chi] you get it by slaying Heartless and in Unchained you get it by strengthening the power of your medals (again and again and again).
I'm not sure if I interpret too much into it but even the concept of leveling up is slightly different in Unchained since your level is not depend on exp like in [chi] but the amount of LUX you already accumulated.
So maybe in Unchained the source of your "guilt" is how you actually extend your power.

PiliChain23

Awards
So maybe in Unchained the source of your "guilt" is how you actually extend your power.

You could say the closer we get to the light, the greater our shadow becomes. :cool:

Edit: Unchained has Kairi medals for attacking. We don't have any Kairi attack/magic/aerial cards yet in Chi.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Well, Kingdom Heart Unchained X is going to be receiving Enchanted Dominion and Castle of Dreams soon whilst Kingdom Hearts X is going to conclude with Agrabah's story, so, that's another difference to compare and contrast.

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
Well, Kingdom Heart Unchained X is going to be receiving Enchanted Dominion and Castle of Dreams soon whilst Kingdom Hearts X is going to conclude with Agrabah's story, so, that's another difference to compare and contrast.
Huh?

When did this get revealed?

faemarch

Ansem's Apprentice
Awards
Huh?

When did this get revealed?
It hasn't, it's only been hinted at so far.

X is going to receive a conclusion to Agrabah's story at some point, not conclude with it. We don't know if they're going to squeeze in another world before September, though that might not be very likely.
Enchanted Dominion and Castle of Dreams have only been hinted as possible worlds (Enchanted Dominion, especially, with the base data for the Fairy Stars keyblade present in X's files), but not straight-out confirmed anywhere yet.

Edit: Unchained has Kairi medals for attacking. We don't have any Kairi attack/magic/aerial cards yet in Chi.
Even then, they're all support-type medals so far, though they can pack a punch when sufficiently guilted...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back