• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Did Xion Do Justice To The Series? (spoilers)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snow

Stain me Red with Blood
Ok, at least I guessed that correct.

But from KH II FM+, we see how Axel was so scared of Xemnas he still follows orders, so I highly doubt he would have disobeyed the direct orders just to buy Xion and Roxas time.

Takarifan101

Lets see Namine couldn't get to work on Xion because Axel showed up, we don't know what happened afterwords but the cutscene made it seem that she really did a number on VIII.
And we don't exactly know what Namine was really going to do, but the Ultima interview make it seems like Namine has planned out the whole thing, which makes sense.

-Xion was going to be like RikuRep and was going to claim she was the original and try to destroy roxas.
But they decided to keep her like this, which I found nice.

-Anyway the reason she couldn't tell anyone is because she faded, which falls in place with a theory I"m working on with the keyblades. But all that aside even Riku forgot what was going on towards the end. Poor Xion, not even worthy of remebering

3Eyes

I was skeptical at first, but I thought Xion fit very well. She helped a lot with character and story progression, and kept you guessing on what was going on throughout the game. I'd say imagine Kingdom Hearts 1 without Kairi and that's what this would have been like for Days.

Not to mention I love her music.

*TwilightNight*

Bronze Member
Awards
Damn, TN, you and your Xion hate essay

I love it when you say that, considering that I'm the "Xion hate extremist" (except, you know, I'm talking more about her impact on plot than actual character) to you so much, you spread it around all the time, when there are worst people out there who hate her for the mere fact that she's a "Mary Sue" or even that she exists altogether. And it's even more funny how everyone can express anything negative about another character, and barely get flack for it. Yet, when I write on the fact that I found she did nothing to greater KH universe (and in the end, affects my overall opinion on the game itself, not just her), I'm labeled, because she's apparently your favorite, and you hate anything even close to bad mentioned about her. Apparently, there's no difference between "role" and "character" for you.

If you can't take opinions, and are mad enough to judge, then don't read it. Lord knows why I decided to reply to this.

But really, even if Xion was really there to further the storyline and was really unneeded (just like pretty much all the Organization members apart from Xemnas, Xigbar and Roxas), you need more vision. A good eye can quickly reveal room for expansion of Xion in way not relating to Xion as a person that can stretch into BbS and KH III, such as bringing the perspective into replicas, for one. Even if Nomura put much emphasis on Xion because how she was made was a nice concept, it is highly doubtful he would take it as the only consideration to put Xion in such a perspective.

Actually, the Organization played more importance. You got the Apprentices, which are deeply rooted to Xehanort, and the research they began which paved the way for, the whole series, basically. They are even worth it to be in BBS, because while not in the forefront, they are connected to the backstory. Saïx and Axel, also, apparently, will appear. Marluxia and Larxene played a high role in CoM, more so Marluxia, because their plans affected the main hero, as well as the story passing over to KH2 and Days. Without them, half of 358/2 Days wouldn't be interesting or even be such problematic to the two Soras affected because the real Sora wasn't mind raped, nor made to recover. They directly are the cause of a lot of things, which can't be simply written out or never mentioned, because it's hard to find another alternative if Marluxia and Larxene never existed or they didn't do the things they did. That makes eleven Organization members out of the XIII that did something that is all over the series. Not different games of it, the series.

Xion was there to merely further the storyline in 358/2 Days, okay, plot device, but done in such a way, that if you take her out, nothing can really be different or have any consequences. It's why she can easily be written out and forgotten by everyone. Which they had to do, or else a mess would be made for the sequel. And I am keeping an open eye. I said that unless Xion is going to be of such importance in any future or upcoming title, I remain with my opinion until it's actually portrayed.

Then we have the RAX trio, with Xion helping keep Roxas occupied while Axel ran off to CO. Would you rather they removed Xion and let Roxas hang around for several weeks with hardly any insight into the story? It is very hard to develop a character without the use of another, and Xion rather helped fulfil that role while Axel was gone.

They could've given more insight elsewhere for Roxas's development (it's not like what Xion and Roxas talked about in that short period of time that Axel was out is groundbreaking enough to be there). They showed him eating ice cream by himself and still doing missions, but while he does so, he also could have errands in the process while Axel was away. Hang out with some of the Organization members, explore Twilight Town more, and even keep interaction with HPO. In fact, I believe that showing him all alone in the clock tower would give even more depth and sadder meaning about how much Axel actually meant to him when it was just the two of them. And it strengthens their friendship, which was the original anyway, and what some people finally wanted to see.

So it's not like it would be a loss.

Also, for your say that Xion did not affect Deep Dive, you are forgetting the reason Roxas or Riku did not cut each other as they passed. I had always wondered why, and Xion helped explain that. For a more minor role, during KH II, I had wondered why Roxas left TWTNW with Axel shouting at him, then ended back there for his bout with Riku, which is also explained by Xion.

The reason that Roxas and Riku did not cut each other as they passed was because they first needed to clear the way of the Heartless to begin fighting each other (not to mention they were highly curious if you see how they both stared). It isn't exactly smart to have a one on one battle, when there are creatures interrupting. It really isn't rocket science, and there was no need for the explanation with Xion. Just watching the scene and the movements can give you a clue that the Heartless were too much, and Roxas saw this guy there to help him out. And whatever he wanted will wait until it's over. Which occurred. The reason why Riku was in the skyscraper was not because of Xion: it was because they needed to get Roxas. Didn't he even say this to Sora in KH2, and that Roxas probably wanted to meet him anyway? Diz coming right after was all a part of it. There's no plot hole in that, at all. Roxas leaving Axel and TWTNW was also explained by Roxas himself: to find out why he wields the Keyblade, and who he is. And it was hinted, from his attitude, that Axel did something for him to act that way. We never saw it, but it was obvious that they had a bump in their friendship there. I said it before, all the events leading up to those are loose enough where anything can be added. Unless, once more, Xion has a higher role somewhere that goes beyond 358/2 Days that need her in there.

As for your Riku Replica rant, you have to consider the meaning of tragedy: A very sad event or situation, from my thesaurus. Riku Replica fought for himself, being more selfish, and lost, making it not very sad. On the other hand, Xion fought for Roxas and Sora, willingly choosing to sacrifice herself in order to defy Xemnas' goal. Even if she died the way she wanted, the sense of self-sacrifice makes us feel for her, after all, who would willingly kill himself or herself easily? This is what makes us sad, her heart-wrenching sacrifice. The dying speech, in fact, makes it more of a tragedy because of the self-realization and the task she delegated to Roxas in an act of trust, to correct her mistake when she is gone, again emphasising to us her oncoming demise.. Riku Replica pales greatly in contrast, in the sense of tragedy.

It's that said tragedy that was expected long ago, and it just fits with the overall "feel sorry for me" spiel that the whole game had and the typical character archetype. Of course, it will work, and it always works, but a death will not make me like a character. I can sympathize, certainly, but that would not automatically make anyone part of my favorite character roster. I would have like a hundred characters then. If they can't build a lasting impression on me in the first instance, if they didn't die, then what? That's what I look for.

And, wait. How does being lost not make it sad while Xion's constant bowing head, frowning, and questions of "who am I"s is? Yes, he was selfish, but he also changed and accepted his fate. Riku Replica didn't have friends, he didn't have good people guiding him and telling him what would be the best decision for everyone, to do the right thing (do you honestly think that Xion came up to the conclusion she did on her own? She didn't). He doesn't have happy memories of his own like Xion to be alright with returning, and in the end, truly died. No conscious, no anything. Truly. Died. You know what Riku Replica had? He was mind raped with someone else's memories, he was used and manipulated, especially by Axel in the end, he was lied to, and he held on to Naminé because it was honestly, the only thing he had to work towards to. He was in a cave of bad guys, and thus, was going to be antagonistic. But his life was much more merciless, all while trying to find himself and wanting to be his own person. The only ones who even came close to caring for him were Riku and Sora.

So yeah, I would feel more tragic about that guy, than someone who had a life and was joyous for awhile, yet was alright with dying in the end. Riku Replica had a bad rub for him, but it wasn't all in your face and shoved, which I appreciated.

And that's about it... Yea... Since I can never change anyone's opinion of Xion's personality, even if some think of her as such, one must consider what she was dealing with: isolation at being completely different from others, dilemma based on her own composition and ability to affect others etc. She's like Namine, except she takes her own initiative to seek her own meaning while Namine needs Axel to get her going.

Naminé needs Axel to get her going? Of course she did. You're talking of a girl that has been pressured, forced, isolated, and put down all the time, as well as threatened by those who were near her. She was never able to do what she wanted. So it's no wonder why it was almost a dream that she was freed. The moment she set off, she did what she had wished of doing. And after that, she gained the confidence to go her own way as shown by Days and KH2. Xion had more freedom in comparison, but needed both Riku and Axel to help her around about what to decide. All she was doing meanwhile was running away, making trouble, while she comes to a conclusion about what to do. In her Secret Reports she even said Riku saved her, but Axel told her to think. And then it was vice-versa. You make it sound like she was this driven character when in reality, she was given advice and told things as anyone else was, and was indecisive. In fact, that was actually Riku's role, and even Naminé had her word in.

Smile

Codename: D
Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I loved her to death and back. She's an amazing character and it pains me to think that Nomura wasted what I consider to be the best female character up to this point on a single game with her probably never ever showing up again.
She had a solid character, wonderful interaction with the characters around her, and while the plot overall in the game was somewhat lacking for me due to it stretching over so many missions, it was interesting to see her go through it.
She was, to sum it up, everything I loved in almost everyone else in the series put together and with an adorable giggle added to boot.
She did the series a great justice. Here's to hoping Aqua would not only live up to the standards Xion set, and that she will outlive the game she's introduced in.

Eva

~ ♥~ Grand Summoner~ ♥~
Awards
You know, from the moment I learned of Xion, I was terrified she'd turn out to be a complete waste of time and would bear no part in the KH universe. Her role in driving Roxas to leave the Organization was well played in my opinion; to me she acted well with the event preceeding her arrival in the Organization. Xion managed to cling onto her sanity as well as her 'love' for her friends as she intended to return to Sora, a noble effort that though expected in the KH series, was still touching. So while I do think she didn't do much for the universe, I think she did a lot for Roxas and Sora character-wise.

She was forgotten by the characters, but I'm pretty sure we won't forget her, regardless of whether we like her or not. Her and Roxas are the 2 under 358.

Smile

Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I found it heartbreaking how she came to Namine with a smile and told her she was ready to disappear for the people she cares for. It was somewhat Sora-ish of her but on a whole new level that was completely her.
The thing I didn't like was Roxas's blind obsession with her, but I suppose that's a bone to pick with how they wrote him and not Xion's issue.

And all I really have to say is this:

For anyone and everyone who complain about Xion being supposedly brought out of nowhere and without future influence on the series -
Why have I never heard you complain about Luxord or Demyx? (and if you did and I just didn't see it, by all means link me)
Those two have no true plot value aside from being Org members Sora needs to take down in KH2. They don't even contribute too much to Days aside from giving excuse to push up the mission count. As far as we know, their Somebodies didn't even have anything to do with anything, while Xion had part of a plot that revolved Xemnas himself, Castle Oblivion, and Ven, not to mention direct influence on both Roxas and Axel.
So really, I'm not saying don't complain - but if you do, think a moment before you do, seeing how you probably gonna have a lot more to complain about for the same thing.
And for anyone who wants to tell me that they could've had more screen time had it not been for Xion -
1) Xion's there. Deal.
2) Think for 30 seconds why they brought Xion in instead of using what they already have. Because you know, they did use Xaldin and hinted plentifully at Xigbar and showed us Xemnas and expanded on Saix and Axel. So why not Demyx and Luxord? Mmhm.

Last edited:
A

Azrael

Ironic considering Luxord's Nomura's favorite org character but little was devoted to him.

The CoM members barely got much attention so watch what you say Rain. Xion stole the attention and you know it. She's a Mary Sue.

DarkSoldier85

I thought Xion was a necessary character to the series. She gave Roxas a reason to leave the Organization other than just finding out why he had the keyblade. I mean, think about it. Roxas was walking BACK TOWARD THE CASTLE THAT NEVER WAS when he ran into Riku. Why the crap would he be doing that if he was leaving?

In my opinion, Xion was the most tragic character Kingdom Hearts has to offer. Even though she's not really 'dead' (she was absorbed by Roxas, who was in turn absorbed by Sora, so essentially she still exists as a part of him even though no one remembers her) it was hard to cope with the thought of her being gone.

Smile

Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Ironic considering Luxord's Nomura's favorite org character but little was devoted to him.

Not quite. He could love the character to death but redundant characters are redundant.

The CoM members barely got much attention so watch what you say Rain.

They had CoM. It's not like they could've hanged around for too long, seeing the KH timeline. They wouldn't have shown at all had it not been for the tutorial.
That is not to say I agree with you. Instead of getting attention inside Days, they simply went off on *gasp* their own game! I'd call that proper and decent attention for characters that had enough to offer. Well, aside from Lexaeus. He was there for... lulz? Iono.

Xion stole the attention and you know it. She's a Mary Sue.

It's rather a sad state of affaris that about the best female chara in the series thus far is a Sue :p

MasterLukeS

I would have to agree that Roxas had feelings for Xion. Same way Sora has feelings for Kairi. However, Xion and Roxas had more of a complicated relationship rather than just the 'childhood crush.' But Xion definitely did justice to the series. A character has never really 'died' in a way such as that. Axel did in KH2 but you didn't really know him that well then. The story of self-sacrifice always makes me sad :'(

A

Azrael

Not quite. He could love the character to death but redundant characters are redundant.

They had CoM. It's not like they could've hanged around for too long, seeing the KH timeline. They wouldn't have shown at all had it not been for the tutorial.
That is not to say I agree with you. Instead of getting attention inside Days, they simply went off on *gasp* their own game! I'd call that proper and decent attention for characters that had enough to offer. Well, aside from Lexaeus. He was there for... lulz? Iono.

It's rather a sad state of affaris that about the best female chara in the series thus far is a Sue :p

It just that she's easily replaceable. You could the same plot more or less without her. Sort of the same agruement with Kairi. Days was advertised as an Organization-centric game and aside from small conversation, it hasn't been much with the CoM members.

I wanted a bit more with Marly :D They never explained what he intended to do once he overthrew Xemnas

Smile

Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
The thing is that almost any other character would give you different interactions with Roxas and Axel and different decisions made and hence a different story. And if you have a character that would do the same things Xion did, it's Xion only with a different look.
Kairi is replacable because she has very little direct impact. So long as she's a "childhood friend to Sora and Riku", whoever fell into a coma would've given us about the same game.
Xion's an active party, unlike Kairi.

A

Azrael

The thing is that almost any other character would give you different interactions with Roxas and Axel and different decisions made and hence a different story. And if you have a character that would do the same things Xion did, it's Xion only with a different look.
Kairi is replacable because she has very little direct impact. So long as she's a "childhood friend to Sora and Riku", whoever fell into a coma would've given us about the same game.
Xion's an active party, unlike Kairi.

But there wasn't a need for Xion. Before Days, it was assumed that Roxas left to find out about why he wielded the Keyblade and joining the Organization was to have these questions answers. That didn't end well so he left.

Nothing involving him chasing after his best friend who the Superior had modified to go on "kill mode"

Smile

Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
But there wasn't a need for Xion. Before Days, it was assumed that Roxas left to find out about why he wielded the Keyblade and joining the Organization was to have these questions answers. That didn't end well so he left.

And yet the main issue about his identity issues was due to Xion's own. He simply thought he was going insane and went on with his life despite Sora's Memories being stored inside him (I loved how Xion got the Memories of Kairi while Roxas those of Riku. Refreshing they cared to put in parts about him after seeing what went on in CoM).
What really got him to break down and ask questions no one else could answer was Xion's own situation.
Could they have done so otherwise? Probably so. Use more Sora's Memories and turn Roxas into Sora because Sora would've left the Organization.
However, Roxas isn't Sora. So they had to have dealt with him in a different manner. Hence Xion.

Nothing involving him chasing after his best friend who the Superior had modified to go on "kill mode"

It was mostly to get Roxas to go on kill mode back at her. She didn't want to be the last one standing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back