• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Did The World That Never Was feel more dangerous in DDD compared to KH2?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
Did anyone else feel, that The World That Never Was felt more threatening in DDD, when compared to KH2? The Dream aspect made it feel more twisted and creepier for me. Sora seeing hallucinations and almost turned to vessel, and Riku facing all the Norts(the lack of Mickey also made me feel more alone, when I compare the world to KH2). Also I liked how in other worlds you would have a more detailed objective, when in TWTW the objective menu only says:" Keep going". A really clever way to imply that there is no turning back.

So yeah what I`m trying to say, is that The World That Never Was felt more dangerous than before. Also Sacred Distance gave massive chills, and the last time I felt the same, was when I first time got to Hollow Bastion in KH1. I think this world was really well made.

Did anyone else feel the same?

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I liked The World That Never Was a lot in KH3D. I also didn't get the urge to turn back because I wanted to find out what happens, so I just kept going anyway. I think in KH2 it wasn't as threatening/dangerous as it was in KH3D because all of Sora's friends were there with him. In KH3D, you were alone and had no idea what would happen. At least in KH2, I knew that we had support there in case things went bad.

Antar

Awards
The world that never was was more creepy for me in DDD because of the scenery. It looked more distorted and menacing than KH2. In KH2 when you arrived at TWTNW it felt more like I was storming their stronghold. In DDD it felt more like I was lost, confused, and being watched/manipulated. it's hard to describe.

I think I would have enjoyed DDD's TWTNW much more if it contained Nobodies instead of Dream-eaters. But I understand why it wasn't done like that.

Articus

The world that never was was more creepy for me in DDD because of the scenery. It looked more distorted and menacing than KH2. In KH2 when you arrived at TWTNW it felt more like I was storming their stronghold. In DDD it felt more like I was lost, confused, and being watched/manipulated. it's hard to describe.

I think I would have enjoyed DDD's TWTNW much more if it contained Nobodies instead of Dream-eaters. But I understand why it wasn't done like that.

I don't see why they didn't... It would have been a nice touch, but whatevs.

I honestly like DDD's version more. The world itself was cool, but in KH2 it served little purpose other than to fulfill the KH secret ending location. Thankfully in KH2FM they added a fight there, BUT it brings you to the heart place so it doesn't count.

Master_Aqua

Yeah I liked both versions but DDD's TWTNW gave me an eerie sense, but a sorrowful one as well. f I can recall correctly, was that the place where Sora saw Xion, Naminé (probably misspelled that), Aqua, Terra, and Ventus? Haven't seen it in a while lol. Still it was very well done.

Joker'sHeartless

Awards
Maybe they couldn't? The heartless weren't in the sleep realm place either.
Yeah. Yen Sid explains the Realm of Sleep is locked, even to the conventional enemies

Also, I think part of the erie effect is the fact that the world gets more distorted and broken as you go, so in the beginning it just looks like a damaged version of KH2's TWTNW and by the end of the path, it barely looks like a city at all

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
Yeah. They really succeeded to create a feeling, that you are alone and lost. A well done last world if I may say.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
I love how The World that Never Was was done in DDD. It was ominous and threatening and in turn it's broken up state and the event's that happen there made it very enjoyable (and sad) to play through.
In KHII, TWTNW...kinda bored me. The world just felt very plain and like it was there just to be there. Something a last world should never feel like. Not helped by II's utter lack of platforming which DDD thankfully brought back.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Yeah I liked both versions but DDD's TWTNW gave me an eerie sense, but a sorrowful one as well. f I can recall correctly, was that the place where Sora saw Xion, Naminé (probably misspelled that), Aqua, Terra, and Ventus? Haven't seen it in a while lol. Still it was very well done.

Yep, it was the place where Sora met all the tormented ones one after the other, starting with Naminé and Xion, then Roxas and finally the BBS crew.

Yeah. Yen Sid explains the Realm of Sleep is locked, even to the conventional enemies

Also, I think part of the erie effect is the fact that the world gets more distorted and broken as you go, so in the beginning it just looks like a damaged version of KH2's TWTNW and by the end of the path, it barely looks like a city at all

TWTNW can exist in both realms at once though and both of them are in the "real" part of the world as well.
Sora arrives first in the real version of TWTNW where he has that little chat with Xigbar and Young Xehanort does the "come with me"-gesture done in KH 1 by Riku, then Sora falls to sleep and the rest is the "dream" TWTNW.
Riku is exactly the opposite as he arrives in the dream version first and enters the real one after defeating Ansem and remains there until the end of the game when Master Xehanort teleports away.

It's pretty telling though that all the parts taking place in the real version of the world are cutscene only or without battles, allowing the developers to avoid having to put in any regular Nobodies. *ggg*.

Antar

Awards
I honestly like DDD's version more. The world itself was cool, but in KH2 it served little purpose other than to fulfill the KH secret ending location. Thankfully in KH2FM they added a fight there, BUT it brings you to the heart place so it doesn't count.

TWTNW is not only the city that you are talking about, it includes the huge fortress of Organization 13, too.

Articus

At the end of the game, when you're Riku, and you are about to go to the castle to save Sora, Riku says it's the real world, but wasn't the world destroyed by Xemnes? Or is it in a different time period?

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
At the end of the game, when you're Riku, and you are about to go to the castle to save Sora, Riku says it's the real world, but wasn't the world destroyed by Xemnes? Or is it in a different time period?

Not a different time period but a different realm altogether.
The world that was wrecked by Xemnas in the final battles of KH II was inside the artificial Kingdom Hearts.
All that happened only after Sora and the others stepped through that giant door which was an entrance to the artificial KH.
Xemnas had taken control of that KH and thus warped the interior to look like the Dark City.

Articus

Not a different time period but a different realm altogether.
The world that was wrecked by Xemnas in the final battles of KH II was inside the artificial Kingdom Hearts.
All that happened only after Sora and the others stepped through that giant door which was an entrance to the artificial KH.
Xemnas had taken control of that KH and thus warped the interior to look like the Dark City.

That's false.

After they defeated Xemnes, and everyone left through the corridor of darkness, Xemnes attacked them again, which was outside the false Kingdom Hearts. Unless you're saying they were in a false world all along.

Linky.

queerstin

As I was playing through TWTNW in 3D, I kept feeling uneasy and uncomfortable. Especially when all the tormented ones started showing up. That entire emotional rollercoaster added a feeling of sadness into the mix! hahaha

I did enjoy playing through this world in 3D rather than KHII simply because there was more to explore and actually "play", in my opinion.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
a papercut felt more dangerous than II but anyway

TWTNW from 3D was one of the best worlds in the game and i'm hoping they make a 3DHD so i can oggle it on my flastscreen compared to the flatness of II's version, which felt like a city at night and the creepiest thing that happened was neoshadows popping up which lost it's flare.

and i thought that TWTNW doesn't really exist? and it coexists with it's own dream version? i must be missing something.

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
a papercut felt more dangerous than II but anyway

This is... part of the problem, yes.

Honestly, TWTNW in II felt sterile, almost as though that was the intent... and the only intent. Sometimes in the large rooms I still get this feeling of walking in a Starship Enterprize-sized hospital. White walls everywhere. Everyone in authority wearing identical robes. It's a hospital! And if sterility unnerves you like it does a friend of mine, well there you go. But for me, when I think of threats in TWTNW, it's hindsight threats regarding boss challenge. I was never very good at Xigbar.

KH2 usually gets atmosphere praise from me, even when I'm otherwise harsh, but not TWTNW.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
This is... part of the problem, yes.

Honestly, TWTNW in II felt sterile, almost as though that was the intent... and the only intent. Sometimes in the large rooms I still get this feeling of walking in a Starship Enterprize-sized hospital. White walls everywhere. Everyone in authority wearing identical robes. It's a hospital! And if sterility unnerves you like it does a friend of mine, well there you go. But for me, when I think of threats in TWTNW, it's hindsight threats regarding boss challenge. I was never very good at Xigbar.

KH2 usually gets atmosphere praise from me, even when I'm otherwise harsh, but not TWTNW.

the cityscape is what i'm talking about but i get what you mean about the castle, never paid much attention to it before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back