• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Did Riku like Kairi?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
The game always made me believe that Riku cared about Kairi.

Awards
@Grass

It's fact that Riku cares for Kairi *cool thread to read btw*
My question is if he cared for her in a romantic way, like Sora, or had romantic feelings for her.

It needed to be addressed because, according to Smile, Kairi was nothing but an "afterthought" to Riku, which is not true at all.
As for romantic feelings, it's implied that he DOES have them, but I think it was more of a crush than anything, whereas Sora‘s feelings are more intimate.

LeeLu

I think it's pretty obvious that Riku does like Kairi, quite a bit actually. Aside from all the evidence in KHI, remember what guise Namine chose to convince Riku to get him to accept both light and darkness and free himself from Zexion's trap?

It wasn't until later that he learns that wasn't really Kairi and he seems to more readily accept Namine because she has the same scent as Kairi. Although I don't know how strong the scent evidence thing is. Riku doesn't really display a tendency to identify people by scent outside of CoM and Re:CoM, unless it's in the novels.

Currently I think as someone else mentioned, the massive guilt he feels for what he's done overshadows any romantic feelings he may have had for her to the point he's now simply content to know she and Sora are still his friends.

Zul

Awards
It needed to be addressed because, according to Smile, Kairi was nothing but an "afterthought" to Riku, which is not true at all.
As for romantic feelings, it's implied that he DOES have them, but I think it was more of a crush than anything, whereas Sora‘s feelings are more intimate.

http://never-wake-up.net/scans/riku_pg4.jpg

The KH series official character pages (I think that's the KH 2 ultimania, not sure) already confirm beyond fan interpretations that Riku regarded Kairi as more than an afterthought.

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
If I remember right, his jealousy came from him having the keyblade and getting new friends. I've heard of theories of him also not wanting to be a third wheel with Kairi and Sora, which sort of makes sense....*but not really*

That's what happens later, yeah :3 But Riku was acting a bit weird in the opening of the game, before the keyblade or donald and goofy came into the picture, especially regarding the paopu and Kairi.

That and some of the comments of the kids on DI make me think that now the three of them are old enough for things like romance to become interesting, it's made things a bit weird in their group, especially for Riku. They show us that Riku wants to share a paopu with Kairi, and they show us that Kairi would rather sail away on the raft with only Sora. If Kairi prefers Sora romantically, I'm sure Riku would have noticed, and be a little jealous. (They aren't canon, but in the chain of memories game novels it states outright that Riku noticed and it upset him, because he has a crush on her.)

Tatsu

Well he could always hookup with the transvestite Xion later on.

The Conquerer

The Bloody Warrior
Awards
I think both Riku and Sora would get jealous of each other if one were to keep Kairi's attention, at least, that's how it was. Kairi was more drawn to Sora, which would irritate Riku enough for him display his superior physical prowess over Sora in order to attempt to get Kairi's favor. If Sora was slacking, Riku would take the initiative to make moves. Later, Riku realized that Kairi was safer in Sora's hands after all things considered, and probably (permanently) isolated himself into the friend zone because of it. Sora is written to seem unwillingly to take the steps necessary to take the relationship further between himself and Kairi however.

localorange

I think both Riku and Sora would get jealous of each other if one were to keep Kairi's attention, at least, that's how it was. Kairi was more drawn to Sora, which would irritate Riku enough for him display his superior physical prowess over Sora in order to attempt to get Kairi's favor. If Sora was slacking, Riku would take the initiative to make moves. Later, Riku realized that Kairi was safer in Sora's hands after all things considered, and probably (permanently) isolated himself into the friend zone because of it. Sora is written to seem unwillingly to take the steps necessary to take the relationship further between himself and Kairi however.

I think that's partly because the kid is a bit dense and oblivious, and that he's utterly lost going about how to take those steps. If they move in that direction, Kairi is going to have to be the first to take that initiative, and it will be up to Sora how to respond.

Tatsu

Or perhaps they will get together in a spontaneous/unexpected/intimate way like how Yuna and Tidus got together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back