• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Did Pete really not remember Riku?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

legacier

Awards
Definitely a plot hole, but if you really feel the need to justify it, y'all are overthinking it. The solution? Yep, Pete did forget. No need to break out the medical textbooks, because people can forget things without amnesia. I know that in fiction we tend to assume everyone remembers everything in perfect detail, but that's not realistic.

Look at it this way: he only saw Data-Riku as a tool (i.e., he felt no emotional connection to him) and was in contact with him for a very short period of time, so it's only natural that he wouldn't recognize him right away. It's not like he forgot the actual events of Re:Coded, he just didn't connect Riku's appearance to those memories.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
honestly, at least in english, there's a sarcastic lilt in his delivery of the question that almost makes it seem like he knows there's more to it. Like, yeah, it's Riku, but which one? Which plays into how much of KH3's script jabbed at itself

redcrown

Awards
Out of all the plot holes and writing messups in this series, this might be the funniest one yet. People trying desperately to come up with any logic, reason, or intention for it to the point of using real world physics and medical literature is.... just, telling of how far the fandom is willing to go to justify anything this series pulls.

Last edited:

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Pete probably knew that it was a vessel of Xehanort in the guise of Riku so he didn't register it as Riku, Just like how Riku from Coded is technically Jiminy's Journal personified into a being that looks like Riku.

It isn't a retcon or writers forgetting a key plot point, it's just Pete being observant of the figure. It's arguably the first foreshadowing of the character being Replica Riku and not the real deal.

Hirokey123

Awards
Are people forgetting that Pete always knew that Data Riku wasn't Riku? He knew that he was just a data fabrication, he literally modifies him and turns him into his puppet in that game because he knows he's just a fake. They also know that he only exists in the data of the journal. Likewise he's seen the real Riku he knows that the real Riku is much older looking and not part of the organization. However Pete is not aware to our knowledge the time traveling is going on, Maleficent might be but we never saw any inclination that Pete knew before this scene.

So he knows that the yellow eye'd Riku in front of him can't be the present day Riku or the Data Riku, and yet Maleficent acts familiar with them as if they are old friends. Ergo he questions the identity of the person in front of him from her and that's when she subtly drops she believes he's a time traveling Riku. Pete is not stupid and he is a fair bit more observant than he is given credit for, he noticed at the start of the game just by looking at him that Sora had lost most of his power to the point they could have disposed of him right then.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Are people forgetting that Pete always knew that Data Riku wasn't Riku? He knew that he was just a data fabrication, he literally modifies him and turns him into his puppet in that game because he knows he's just a fake. They also know that he only exists in the data of the journal. Likewise he's seen the real Riku he knows that the real Riku is much older looking and not part of the organization. However Pete is not aware, to our knowledge, that time traveling is going on. Maleficent might be but we never saw any inclination that Pete knew before this scene.

So he knows that the yellow eye'd Riku in front of him can't be the present day Riku or the Data Riku, and yet Maleficent acts familiar with them as if they are old friends. Ergo he questions the identity of the person in front of him from her and that's when she subtly drops she believes he's a time traveling Riku. Pete is not stupid and he is a fair bit more observant than he is given credit for, he noticed at the start of the game just by looking at him that Sora had lost most of his power to the point they could have disposed of him right then.

Couldn't have put it better myself. In Coded, Pete mocks Donald and Goofy for caring about Data Sora. He has the same apathetic attitude towards Data Sora as he does Data Riku, he just sees Data Sora and Data Riku as 1's and 0's.

I get it, Kingdom Hearts III has flaws but this is not one of them. You just need big brain energy to understand the context of the San Fransokyo interaction with Dark Riku, Maleficent and Pete.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
I'm the last person to try and justify a plot goof or stupid writing in KH, but having now rewatched the scene, I feel like most of you are reading it wrong. Pete and Maleficent are actually on the same page here-- they both know it's Riku, obviously. Pete saw Riku in KH2 and in Coded, he knows what he looks like, so the dark coat and younger appearance are suspect. He's asking just who it is, with a smug intonation, because the figure's EXACT identity is a mystery both to him and the player. The scene is likely included to get the player wondering as well.

chrisora2066

Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Everything Nomura does is on purpose. He knew Aqua would be in the Realm of Darkness and was attacked by the Demon Tide, which lead to Mickey being shirtless in KH1. That's why he did it in KH1.

Nomura gives a reason to everything, I'm sure there is a reason to Pete not remembering Riku. I hope someone asks him about it in Ultimania or he tweets about it.

I think you're onto something however I don't think it's KH4 it will be explored but perhaps we might get that game bridging BBS and KH1, we could finally see Mickey banish Pete to the Realm of Darkness! I know everyone says thats a mistranslation in the English version but everyone needs to stop being ULTRA woke and realise as a female Minnie doesn't have that power. Speaking of women having power have you guys heard of Star Wars?!

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Except Minnie did banish Pete in BbS? That's another one of his writing holes. This series is covered in them.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Except Minnie did banish Pete in BbS? That's another one of his writing holes. This series is covered in them.
I thought that wasn't the time that Pete was referring to? I assumed that Mickey banished Pete to the Shadow Realm shortly before KH1 (and his departure to the Realm of Darkness). I always thought Pete would get banished, then escape and return to cause trouble.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Lines like this always make me wonder if the original Japanese was different, and also if an oopsie was made in the translation.

Pete's seen Riku and obviously Data-Riku before (he put bugs in him!), but I don't remember it ever being made apparent to Pete that Riku and Maleficent know each other. What if the original line was something like "Wait, so you know this guy?" but the translator mistook the question to mean Pete didn't know who Riku was?

Back