• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Did Pete really not remember Riku?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

blank points

Awards
Hey folks. I am currently replaying KH3 again, and I finished San Fransokyo, and I noticed a minor plot hole. During one point in the world, we see a scene of Maleficent and Pete walking through the city, where Riku Replica then approaches them and tells them not to snoop around. When Repliku departs, Pete then asks Maleficent "Who's he? Friend of yours?" In Coded, it was he who kidnapped Data Riku and corrupted him into being his lackey, to which Data Riku was wearing the same exact outfit as Repliku is in KH3. I always found this scene interesting. Did Pete really forget about Riku in the short span of time from Coded to KH3? A insignificant plot hole, but one no one seems to bring up.

AR829038

Awards
Hey folks. I am currently replaying KH3 again, and I finished San Fransokyo, and I noticed a minor plot hole. During one point in the world, we see a scene of Maleficent and Pete walking through the city, where Riku Replica then approaches them and tells them not to snoop around. When Repliku departs, Pete then asks Maleficent "Who's he? Friend of yours?" In Coded, it was he who kidnapped Data Riku and corrupted him into being his lackey, to which Data Riku was wearing the same exact outfit as Repliku is in KH3. I always found this scene interesting. Did Pete really forget about Riku in the short span of time from Coded to KH3? A insignificant plot hole, but one no one seems to bring up.
Holy heck! You're right! Wow, I never once even thought about that.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
...At this point KH3 is just a plot hole itself.

But really, I'm going to rationalize it (for the sake of my sanity) being that Pete recognized that the Riku he was looking at and the Riku he kidnapped and put bugs in were not the same people. Like at this point Pete probably anticipates that there are a bunch of people who look the same but aren't the same.

That kid with the spiky hair and red onesie? Not the same kid with the spiky hair in the black pants.

That kid with the silver hair and attitude? Eh, different too.

The correct answer, though? Nomura forgot. The other writing staff forgot.

Last edited:

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Dark Riku and Data Riku look exactly the same. KH1 Riku thrown into a black cloak.

I know Pete isn't that bright but he isn't a total moron. He was able to pick up Sora's drop in power in Olympus

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Pete saw the yellow eyes and immediately knew that Dark Riku wasn't Data Riku. Either that or he slept on Re:Coded like the fanbase, despite being in the game himself.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I always believed KH always played up Pete's "stupid" persona more than what he really is. He was never really dumb or stupid in any Disney media. He was an asshole, sure, but he was always rather astute and "smarter" than everybody else. The joke was that despite how smart he seemed to think he was, the other characters were always smarter or more caring which always led to better results for them.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Maybe Pete forgot? He didn't really see Riku or cared. Plus, wasn't Riku hooded in that scene and Pete far away? Maybe Pete didn't see his face?

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
See...that would fly........

If Pete didn't OPENLY POSESS RIKU. As said above, the writers simply forgot.
Well it's clearly shown that:
1) Pete was suffering from head trauma due to being beaten by the keyblade several times to the skull, so he probably had some brain injuries/memory loss
2) Pete only saw Riku from behind and in the hula-skirt outfit. He saw Riku from the front and in the Organization hood in KH3.

The above reasons justify Pete "not remembering" Riku. Also, I assumed that Pete saw the Data world as data rather than faces, so he didn't even see what Data Riku looked like besides numbers/blocks.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Well it's clearly shown that:
1) Pete was suffering from head trauma due to being beaten by the keyblade several times to the skull, so he probably had some brain injuries/memory loss
2) Pete only saw Riku from behind and in the hula-skirt outfit. He saw Riku from the front and in the Organization hood in KH3.

The above reasons justify Pete "not remembering" Riku. Also, I assumed that Pete saw the Data world as data rather than faces, so he didn't even see what Data Riku looked like besides numbers/blocks.
What? Why would he only see the data residents as numbers and blocks? He recognized Data Sora. Plus the memory loss excuse doesnt fly since Pete actually saw uncorrupted Data Riku one last time when he saved both him and Maleficent from Sora's Heartless.

The only answer is that Nomura forgot

Last edited:

blank points

Awards
Also in DDD he reminds everyone of the events of Re:Coded when Mickey plays dumb.

It's funny, I actually forgot about that quote. As much as I love KH3 and the series in general, it's times like these where you realize how much of a mess the writing really is at points lol.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
What? Why would he only see the data residents as numbers and blocks? He recognized Data Sora. Plus the memory loss excuse doesnt fly since Pete actually saw uncorrupted Data Riku one last time when he saved both him and Maleficent from Sora's Heartless.

The only answer is that Nomura forgot
If you watch the video, you'll see that Pete NEVER actually saw Riku's face. It was always from the back or barely on the side.

Also, Pete's amnesia could have happened after they left the datascape. It could also have been undiagnosed selective memory loss, where he happened to forget Riku (or Riku's back/side since he never saw Riku's face). The evidence of the amnesia/head trauma is the traditional cartoon stars circling above his head. I've never seen those in any KH cutscene before, so Nomura definitely placed them there to indicate that Pete's memory may have issues, which ties in to him not recognizing Riku in San Fransokyo. Perhaps Pete's memory loss will become a plot line in KH IV? They're clearly building something from it.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
If you watch the video, you'll see that Pete NEVER actually saw Riku's face. It was always from the back or barely on the side.

Also, Pete's amnesia could have happened after they left the datascape. It could also have been undiagnosed selective memory loss, where he happened to forget Riku (or Riku's back/side since he never saw Riku's face). The evidence of the amnesia/head trauma is the traditional cartoon stars circling above his head. I've never seen those in any KH cutscene before, so Nomura definitely placed them there to indicate that Pete's memory may have issues, which ties in to him not recognizing Riku in San Fransokyo. Perhaps Pete's memory loss will become a plot line in KH IV? They're clearly building something from it.
Pete saw Data Riku's face when Maleficent abducted him in Data Agrabah. And as Absent mentioned he clearly remembers the events of ReCoded in DDD.

Face it it's a Plot Hole

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Pete saw Data Riku's face when Maleficent abducted him in Data Agrabah. And as Absent mentioned he clearly remembers the events of ReCoded in DDD.

Face it it's a Plot Hole
Yes, he remembers the events, but did he provide names? Are you 100% sure that his memory is not damaged and he didn't forget Riku?

According to the Mayo Clinic:
Minor head trauma or injury: A head injury from a fall or accident — even if you don't lose consciousness — can cause memory problems.

This clearly explains Pete forgetting Riku and, now that we're discussing it, makes me believe that it was intentional and will be a future (possibly major) plot point.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Yes, he remembers the events, but did he provide names? Are you 100% sure that his memory is not damaged and he didn't forget Riku?

According to the Mayo Clinic:
Minor head trauma or injury: A head injury from a fall or accident — even if you don't lose consciousness — can cause memory problems.

This clearly explains Pete forgetting Riku and, now that we're discussing it, makes me believe that it was intentional and will be a future (possibly major) plot point.
Yes I'm 100% sure Nomura forgot because this wouldnt be the first time this happened in this series.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Yes I'm 100% sure Nomura forgot because this wouldnt be the first time this happened in this series.
Everything Nomura does is on purpose. He knew Aqua would be in the Realm of Darkness and was attacked by the Demon Tide, which lead to Mickey being shirtless in KH1. That's why he did it in KH1.

Nomura gives a reason to everything, I'm sure there is a reason to Pete not remembering Riku. I hope someone asks him about it in Ultimania or he tweets about it.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Everything Nomura does is on purpose. He knew Aqua would be in the Realm of Darkness and was attacked by the Demon Tide, which lead to Mickey being shirtless in KH1. That's why he did it in KH1.

Nomura gives a reason to everything, I'm sure there is a reason to Pete not remembering Riku. I hope someone asks him about it in Ultimania or he tweets about it.

Nomura doesn’t normally tweet and only does it because they make him. Unless they do a Remind Ultimania for whatever reason, there won’t be another one releasing until the next KH game.

Also Nomura doesn’t do everything on purpose. He’d not THAT methodical. He certainly plans plenty in advance but he also makes up stuff on the go like any other writer and tries to make those pieces connect.

Back