• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Did nomura run out of ideas ?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snortlax

Banned
Kh1 = kairi gets kidnapped, sora defeats evil boss

kh2 = kairi gets kidnapped, sora defeats evil boss

kh3 = kairi gets kidnapped, sora defeats evil boss

is nemuru recycling the plot over and over for money?

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
Doubtful. I just don't think he cares to write Kairi as anything other than Sora's damsel. His track record with female characters isn't like, the best ever, but every other female so far... even Strelitzia, feels like more care was put into them and their relationships with people other than a love interest.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
KH3 showed Nomura has plenty of ideas and plans. I think a bigger problem is that he might have too many ideas running in his head. Seemed more interested in setting up the next saga to the point that he forgot to resolve certain plot points in KH3.

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
I think he hates Kairi tbh. In general, he also seems to prefer writing men over women. Which is....bleh.

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
Does this mean nemoru is gay?

No, he just seems to think men are more interesting to write for. And like, the bonds between men can be stronger or something. If he was gay he wouldn't keep forcing straight romances in when the character's don't have chemistry lol.

Snortlax

Banned
No, he just seems to think men are more interesting to write for. And like, the bonds between men can be stronger or something. If he was gay he wouldn't keep forcing straight romances in when the character's don't have chemistry lol.

“He thinks men are more interesting” I’m pretty sure that’s a little gay of nemura to think that but idk man

what kind of man thinks that another man is interesting think about it man 🤔

The Dark Mamba

Awards
I think he hates Kairi tbh. In general, he also seems to prefer writing men over women. Which is....bleh.

Idk bout that second part, but at this point I totally believe he just doesn't care for Kairi at all. Maybe I was expecting too much but I thought she was gonna have a much more active role (Hell, I originally thought she would be the other playable character). And then I just rolled my eyes when she got kidnapped and turned into the damsel role again. Really disappointed with her role when all the potential to do something great was there.

eiczerofour

If there are really all these Kairi fans, why are you upset that she has the same character? She was never strong, never great at anything, and she has gotten better then she started. Even though she is probably one of the weakest characters in the game (with Lea) she is still a lot stronger then when she started. Especially saving Sora after he used the Power of Waking.

If you do not like how weak she is, why like her in the first place? And if you like her for other reasons, she has gotten better. If you need strong characters there are plenty of others. If you need strong female characters you have Ava, Envy, Schuld, Xion, Aqua, and Namine. I like what Kairi became in KH3, they need a strong spiritual character, and having her give up strength (which was still more then she had in the first place) to be stronger spiritually was a great trade off. Kairi actually became a lot more likable for me. She actually became a character worth something imo.

So, OP, it is a bit more complex then her getting captured and saved, but even though that does happen game after game I do not think it is lazy writing or running out of idea. I think it is a beautifully poetic ending.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
If there are really all these Kairi fans, why are you upset that she has the same character? She was never strong, never great at anything, and she has gotten better then she started. Even though she is probably one of the weakest characters in the game (with Lea) she is still a lot stronger then when she started. Especially saving Sora after he used the Power of Waking.

If you do not like how weak she is, why like her in the first place? And if you like her for other reasons, she has gotten better. If you need strong characters there are plenty of others. If you need strong female characters you have Ava, Envy, Schuld, Xion, Aqua, and Namine. I like what Kairi became in KH3, they need a strong spiritual character, and having her give up strength (which was still more then she had in the first place) to be stronger spiritually was a great trade off. Kairi actually became a lot more likable for me. She actually became a character worth something imo.

So, OP, it is a bit more complex then her getting captured and saved, but even though that does happen game after game I do not think it is lazy writing or running out of idea. I think it is a beautifully poetic ending.

The fundamental issue with Kairi is that she was around since Kingdom Hearts. She could have had the opportunity to be developed further through the side games, but she's only relegated to the numbered titles, and even in the numbered titles, she does diddly-squat compared to the other characters.

Kairi did something in this game, but she was set up to do so much more! People were never angry about Kairi in Kingdom Hearts II, as within that game, she was just someone that wanted her friends to return home. Kairi was set up to be a fighter in Kingdom Hearts III, trained by Merlin. And there's plenty of arguments to state as to why Kairi has grown weaker spiritually.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards

I think it's great you can see a poetry in that, but to me it feels like Nomura has a lot of ideas for KH, but only one or two for Kairi.

It seems to me like he views her as only being able to be two things in his stories. The macguffin that brings Sora back and the damsel in distress to further motivate Sora.

And to me that's a shame, because i really like her and see so much more potential in her character.

She has a spunky attitude in some games and has expressed a strong desire to help others. Kairi is brave and willing to face danger, but wise enough to listen to reason. She has faith in her friends, but would rather not sit idely by and do nothing (which she's often forced to do).

Outside of that she sounds like she'd be an interesting protagonist: a girl that comes from another world, she can't properly remember, who has a mysterious power that can hold and fight off the darkness. On top of that she has the power of the keyblade. There's a lot of potential to work with here and I am a bit sad they never really tap into this potential.

The fundamental issue with Kairi is that she was around since Kingdom Hearts. She could have had the opportunity to be developed further through the side games, but she's only relegated to the numbered titles, and even in the numbered titles, she does diddly-squat compared to the other characters.

That is an issue, she could have benefited from the side games the most, but they opted not to do so.

Kairi did something in this game, but she was set up to do so much more! People were never angry about Kairi in Kingdom Hearts II, as within that game, she was just someone that wanted her friends to return home.

Actually i can remember that at least in the years following it, there was a sense of disappointment with her fans that she got sidelined and barely had any presence in that game.
Even her getting and using a Keyblade felt glossed over.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
Aw, I forget about BbSv.2 all the time. That game definitely had a Kairi perspective and adventure. But it seems only Aqua's made the cut.

AayriSolassa

If that was true, he wouldn't have shoehorned some random girl into Lea and Isa's backstory.

D

Deleted member 246005

I thought it was a motif- it ain't a numbered title if Kairi ain't getting kidnapped. (I kid). Honestly, Kairi's never been used well or made a strong impression on me so I went in KH3 expecting little and my expectations were met.

I feel sorry for the Kairi fans who were expecting much (not in a condescending way).

I don't think Nomura hates women or female characters- he may not be good at writing women so he tends to limit them in his work. People tend to forget writing is a skill you cultivate over time. It's like learning a sport- some aspects you are good at right away others you won't be and a few things you wouldn't know you'd be good till you do.

I'm not making excuses just providing another point of view.

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
If the Damsel in Distress stories with Kairi were written as well as COM with Namine I would be more likely to go a long with it.

D

Deleted member 246005

Aw, I forget about BbSv.2 all the time. That game definitely had a Kairi perspective and adventure. But it seems only Aqua's made the cut.

What is BBSv2 supposed to be about actually?

I just heard rumors.

Last edited by a moderator:

LostArtist

Awards
[video=youtube;83Clxvmr5Tw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83Clxvmr5Tw[/video]
dat teaser tho

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
If that was true, he wouldn't have shoehorned some random girl into Lea and Isa's backstory.

Well, that's not surprising actually. Nomura has a tendency for female characters that act as objects to drive his male character's actions. It reminds me of how he talked about Xion after Days came out and everyone was surprised that this character came out of nowhere when we were looking forward to seeing how Roxas and Lea became so close / what all happened during Roxas' time in the Organization. Nomura's inner thoughts must work like this:

Days
Q: "Why would Roxas leave the Organization?"
A: "A woman--a woman must be his motivation."

KH3
Q: "What reason would Saix have to hold a grudge against Axel?"
A: "A woman--a woman must be his motivation."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back