• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Did Lord of the Rings influence Kingdom Hearts at all?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Varxtis

Awards
This may very well have been discussed once upon a time, but search for this theory only comes back to "Kingdom Hearts Unlimited". Idk what that is, but it seems like a fan based alternate story in which Sauron from Lord of the Rings does appear.
I needed a good reference image of the MoM "Eye". Most of the Keyblade images just weren't cutting it. As I was looking at them though (and I think I remember noticing this when playing the games) the keyblade eyes (MoM "Eye") looks a LOT like Saurons Eye from Lord of the Rings. I never read the books sadly, but if I'm remembering right, I think my buddy said that Saurons Eye had a limited ability to see into the future. The first LotR film came out in 2001, and KH in 2002.
To be fair, the whole Dragons Eye design is... not generic, but not original either. Idk.
What are your thoughts

MoM eye on the left unedited. Sauron Eye with color layer on the right. No other edits, just the color.
Sauron eye MoM eye.jpg

AR829038

Awards
I mean, the entire Kingdom Hearts series takes inspiration, or even blatantly rips off, a bunch of popular Western material. I'm pretty sure Nomura just comes up with ideas based on movies he's recently seen that would be cool to include in the games.
The entire KH cosmology and story is heavily inspired by Star Wars, and there are innumerable points of comparison between the two franchises.
Dream Drop Distance seemed very influenced by Inception (which would have come out and become popular not much earlier than DDD), what with all the dreams within dreams aspect.
The idea about Xehanort splitting his heart into thirteen pieces is a rip straight out of Voldemort's book with the Horcruxes from Harry Potter.
Even Chain of Memories seems like it was influenced by all the card game shows like Yu-Gi-Oh that were REALLY popular with kids back in the day when the original GBA version was released.
Honestly, in terms of IPs that Nomura has ripped off, this seems like a pretty innocuous one. Especially considering that, particularly in the fantasy genre, that specific dragon eye design is even more generic than you give it credit for. I would totally believe that the resemblance is just a coincidence, as there doesn't seem to be any other aspect of Lord of the Rings that Nomura has borrowed from concerning the main story.

okhi12

Awards
The Master of Masters had an eye, that gazes into Mordor.

Captain obvious here, but mythril materials came from mithril. Unbelievable, isn't it? :LOL:

Last edited:

AR829038

Awards
The Master of Masters had an eye, that gazes into Mordor.

Captain obvious here, but mythril materials came from mithril. Unbelievable, isn't it? :LOL:
Well, and to be fair, Final Fantasy is the franchise that originally ripped off Mythril. Kingdom Hearts just jumped on the bandwagon.

okhi12

Awards
Well, and to be fair, Final Fantasy is the franchise that originally ripped off Mythril. Kingdom Hearts just jumped on the bandwagon.
I know, I'm a big fan of both KH and FF games. But even if it is inherited from FF mythril is still a valid reference to TLOTR anyway.

Back