• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Did Beast use the Power of Waking to get to Hollow Bastion?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
Thread title. KH1 describes that Beast was essentially so pissed off about losing Belle that he followed her heart to another world when his was destroyed. Lil' Xehanort says that the Power of Waking is used to traverse worlds via hearts. Is it something only wielders can use, or is it just a heart-sensitive tool? No other character in KH has gotten so fucking mad that they just teleported across the universe. Not even Lingering Will, and he was really pretty pissed off, all things considered. KH3 tries to introduce this concept like it's a shiny new impossible thing, but I'm pretty sure Beast performed the same actions in all but name.

disney233

Awards
Pete's crying about...'the good ol days' somehow made a literal door to the past appear out of nowhere. Most concepts like this have been dropped and given no explanation. This is one of them. I'm not sure if the Power of Waking was a concept back then.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I dont think it was necessarily the PoW. We've seen survivors of destroyed worlds throughout KH1 in Traverse Town. Beast may of just had the luck of ending up in the same world as Belle.

Though knowing Nomura I wouldnt be shocked if that instance was retconned as being due to the PoW. Same with Pete summoning the door to Timeless River as disney233 mentioned

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 252753

I am sure Nomura was just making it up as he went along but I think you can rationalise the Beast one a little.

Somewhere in the KH3 glossary (I think the entry about the three realms) it mentions getting about using corridors of darkness which appear when worlds become unstable so I guess it's possible Beast used a dark corridor when his world was consumed by the heartless (he does have some darkness in him after all so maybe could traverse them with some control even).

I can't think of any way to try to explain the Pete thing though.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Probably not. He most likely just ended up there after his world vanished. The same thing happened to Riku after Destiny Islands gone destroyed, he ended up in Hollow Bastion as well.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I feel like I remember Nomura making some comment about Beast in an interview but this is the only one I could find.

Character Reports vol. 2:

Primarily, Disney characters can't go to other worlds, but in KHI Beast violates that ban. In a way, I wrote him with the image of a man that is ahead of Sora. In KHII we made his world, Beast's Castle, a setting, and got to tell his original story.--Nomura

Twilight Lumiair

Awards
I feel like I remember Nomura making some comment about Beast in an interview but this is the only one I could find.
Would you be able to paraphrase that quote? Cause I'm honestly not sure what Nomura's trying to say there.

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards
Reading this thread makes me realize that Beast going to Hollow Bastion to save Belle, and becoming Sora's protector after his friends abandon him, is one of the most compelling uses of a Disney character intersecting with the main plot in the whole series and they should take queues from this type of writing far more often.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Would you be able to paraphrase that quote? Cause I'm honestly not sure what Nomura's trying to say there.

To be honest, I have no idea either lol. I have an idea of what he might mean by that but I'm not sure how to put it into words.

ZeVaine

Awards
My head-cannon was that Beast's heart and dedication kept him from being corrupted by Darkness... and he just used the realm of darkness (which his anger might have helped him do so) to get there.

okhi12

Awards
May your heart be your guiding key.
That's what Beast did, trust his own heart.
In the KH series, people are able to overcome any obstacles if their heart is strong enough.
This is only speculation but I understand it's
Iike an innate power that can be -kinda unknowingly- manifested by anyone if certain conditions are met, even without a keyblade.
Keyblade wielders certainly believe in that power, they must have developed it through the keyblade, learning how to control it and ultimately gaining the ability to use it at will.

Not canon but it would make sense if that was how the PoW came to be.

darknessofheart

Awards
This was actually revealed in the Kingdom Hearts Another Report in a section called the Director's Secret Report XIII. There's actually quite a bit of information about the series in the report. Below is the direct quote as well as the link to the entire report.

Nomura: The other way is to use a "corridor of darkness". These routes are like a loophole of sorts and not pathways that should rightfully be used. While only those known as beings of darkness and beings of between are able to create entries and exits, in rare cases even other kinds of beings such as the Beast and DiZ, who held strong sentiment or hatred in their hearts, have been able to open a path themselves.

Link to the report/interview.

Last edited:

ZeVaine

Awards
This was actually revealed in the Kingdom Hearts Another Report in a section called the Director's Secret Report XIII. There's actually quite a bit of information about the series in the report. Below is the direct quote as well as the link to the entire report.

Nomura: The other way is to use a "corridor of darkness". These routes are like a loophole of sorts and not pathways that should rightfully be used. While only those known as beings of darkness and beings of between are able to create entries and exits, in rare cases even other kinds of beings such as the Beast and DiZ, who held strong sentiment or hatred in their hearts, have been able to open a path themselves.

Link to the report/interview.

I knew that idea came from somewhere... That should pretty much clear it up. Corridors of darkness are not guaranteed to make you a heartless or become lost in the realm of darkness, it's just super risky... But characters who either don't know this/too blinded by rage or passion to care (or understand the darkness and have technology or equipment like Ansem), can access them in their own ways, and get lucky.

darknessofheart

Awards
I knew that idea came from somewhere... That should pretty much clear it up. Corridors of darkness are not guaranteed to make you a heartless or become lost in the realm of darkness, it's just super risky... But characters who either don't know this/too blinded by rage or passion to care (or understand the darkness and have technology or equipment like Ansem), can access them in their own ways, and get lucky.

This is actually my headcanon for how Xehanort got off the islands. Would make a lot sense for his character and his ties to darkness.

AmaryllisMoth

Awards
Looking at the time when Beast is first confronted by Riku about his sudden appearance in Hollow Bastion. In the English script (I'll just post it here for easy reference):
Beast: "I simply believed. Nothing more to it. When our world fell into darkness, Belle was taken from me. I vowed I would find her again no matter what the cost. I believed I would find her. So, here I am. She must be here. I will have her back!"

Thematically I think him saying he "believed" plays up with what was literally just happening in Neverland (and briefly in Traverse Town before the flashback with Kairi's grandmother) where Sora was basically shown how powerful "believing" can be. I think Beast restating that his "belief" was what got him to Hollow Bastion was, most likely initially, just a literary repetition to solidify the concept of the power of believing which eventually morphed into the whole "heart is a guiding key" thing. (While it is entirely possible that they are planning/decided to retcon in some sort of waking explanation that goes in addition to the initial "lets just emphasize the believing thing", I am fairly sure this is what the scene initially was supposed to represent).

However... because I am a complete nerd I just wanted to point out something I noticed in the Japanese script of this scene...
(for those interested in the original text):
ビースト:「私は信じた ただそれだけだ。私たちの世界が闇にのまれた あの時――さらわれたベルのもとへ 私も行くと誓った。そして私はここにいる ここに必ずベルがいると 信じている。ベルを返してもらうぞ!」

What I noticed (that any of you who know Japanese may have already spotted) is this line in particular: ベルのもとへ 私も行くと誓った。/ I vowed I would find her again

This might be a huge coincidence but he uses the verb 誓う (chikau), nominally chikai. Chikai being, obviously, the Japanese title for 3s theme song. It made me smile at the thought that there is a slight connection. While this (tentative) connection only really works in Japanese, it's almost uncannily evocative of the ending of the third game in that Sora is literally doing the same thing in order to bring Kairi back like...right as Chikai plays, even. Chasing her heart through the dark because he promised he would.

Goosebumps, man.

But...this probably just a coincidence.
Do I think that Nomura considered Beast's soliloquy when he planned KH3's ending? Not likely. But it's a fun connection nonetheless.

...or at least I think so ._.'

GreyouTT

Awards
Primarily, Disney characters can't go to other worlds, but in KHI Beast violates that ban. In a way, I wrote him with the image of a man that is ahead of Sora. In KHII we made his world, Beast's Castle, a setting, and got to tell his original story.--Nomura

"Man so angry he surpasses main character and Disney mandates."

Back